rap and music in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

With all due respect, i am going to kindly suggest that those with no tolerance for rap music might skip down and start reading the bottom of this post.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Music evolved from basic tribal beats and grunts to the works of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms.....etc. Rap, hip-hop, "R&B"....etc, these are all steps back toward where music came from. And seemingly in-step with society's own deconstruction.

It doesn't take much to see the correlation between thugs/gangs and tribes. Nor that between rap/hip-hop/R&B and tribal/war dances/music. Guns (spears), money (gold), "hoes" (harem)... all very "basic" and primitive. Spoken in rhyme to a basic beat to bring the blood of the audience up and get them ready for the hunt/war/attack.

Appreciate much of your post.

It reminded me of hearing a rap song and liking the song (which was NOT beastie boys, btw). Then buying the album and HATING the same song. I no longer liked that rap song.

Why?

Because i was liking the music in the "radio version" that had much of the curses and other words blocked out. I liked the rhythm and beat. But i was not liking the message on the uncut version.

I'm not arguing for censorship in general.
smile.gif

Regarding Beasties and rap in general

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
The cast that they worked with was phenomenal: Rick Rubin and Def Jam, the Dust Brothers on Paul's Boutique, Spike Jonze did a bunch of video work for Ill Communication. They wrote the book on sampling (and were likely the first to be sued for it).

All music they wanted to make, on their own schedule, without commercial record company meddling.

On that subject i will say that I appreciate producers who want to give you a "FULL" album/CD done by their artist. I appreicate when every track on the CD is meant to be worth a listen. Hence Rick Ruben and Def Jam were my kind of producers. OTHER producers allegedly have far less integrity -- allegedly OTHER producers of rap music are notorious for lacking integrity.

I'm tempted to think that those who like rap music and those who don't like rap music might agree on one thing. We don't like music producers who will have their artists surround ONE genuinely good song with 11 tracks of poop just to make a quick buck.

We all like good music. I'll argue that none of us like poop which is over marketed to the general public.

forgive the longwindedness,

smile.gif

[started a new thread because i don't think that this post necessarily needs to have anything to do with those paying respect or disrespect to the recently deceased. and that's neither a subtle poke nor praise at anyone else's post. it's just my opinion]

The worst element in rap or gansta rap is the [censored]
booming throbbing base that travels right through your body.

While the more tame hip hop is tolerable most hard core rap music is nothing more than "tribal noise". To be fair I despise heavy metal as well.

Last edited:
Hi Antiqueshell,

grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

I'm tempted to add that there are other good reasons to dislike SOME "gangsta rap" songs.

But more importantly i'll say that i appreciate hearing your feedback on this topic.

see you on the forums,

icon_salut.gif

nothing worse that hearing a good song on a cd only to find out it is the only one that is worth listening too. it seems to be more rare these days to find a cd where you can say, man that whole thing is good from start to finish.

Originally Posted By: skate1968

It reminded me of hearing a rap song and liking the song (which was NOT beastie boys, btw). Then buying the album and HATING the same song. I no longer liked that rap song.

Why?

Because i was liking the music in the "radio version" that had much of the curses and other words blocked out. I liked the rhythm and beat. But i was not liking the message on the uncut version.

I'm not arguing for censorship in general.
smile.gif

This is a fair criticism and I completely understand where you are coming from.

The foul language of rap goes back to its earlier days when its meaning was more political and had not yet been dumbed down to its current form. A lot of early rap (1980s, 1990s) was intended to antagonize "the man," and cursing was a big part of that. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, if you were obsece enough, some states would ban your record, which was more or less just a badge of honor in the rap world and often increased record sales. For an example, read about 2 Live Crew and the state of Florida. During this time the main goal wasn't just to make something catchy.

In the 1990s rap started becoming more and more palatable by the mainstream as sampling was used. To get radio play though, rappers had to censor their music and take out the political/blatantly offensive elements. The cursing, while no longer necessary, has held over the years because many think if they don't, they aren't "hard." Some rappers don't use foul language or keep it to a minimum, but it's still a big part of rap.

Unfortunately as rap has gone further and further into the mainstream, it has lost any real meaning and devolved into party music. Early rap frequently made some kind of statement or told a story, but current mainstream rap is largely just about getting drunk/high at "da club," booty, and donks. It can be cleaned up enough to sell to the mainstream, so that's the garbage that's popular.

No Chuck Mosley for you then? I've always found his 'rapping over hard rock' style to be fun and energetic. While this may not be the most technically refined music, the frequency of situational appropriateness and suitability to mood give it legs. I've enjoyed Mosley's music far more than some recognised rock greats like Led Zep and Floyd by far.

More longwindedness from myself:

Originally Posted By: skate1968
We don't like music producers who will have their artists surround ONE genuinely good song with 11 tracks of poop just to make a quick buck.

I should be fair to those who hate rap while admiring good old motown, classic R&B, "the works of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms...," etc.

The sleazy music producers we have today might not have even existed in the past. The forementioned group -- the admirers of the classics -- simply might not be aware of today's music problems. It's entirely possible to enjoy loads of good music without ever needing to be aware of any poorly produced album/CDs.

Hi Morris,

Originally Posted By: morris
rap and music DONT go together.

While do i enjoy some rap, the situation you describe is too often the truth, imo.

regards

s

Amen to that! 90% of the rap those days is literally the same 3 chord beat over and over without any real music at all! it's simply a beat and curse words for them to play at the club, nothing more. It's pathetic and just goes to show that today's so called "Artists" don't have any real talent, style, taste or imagination to actually make something worth listening too next week after the "latest hit" comes out. People forget that sorry donkey's rear end beat in a hurry and move on to the next cool "joint".

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Unfortunately as rap has gone further and further into the mainstream, it has lost any real meaning and devolved into party music. Early rap frequently made some kind of statement or told a story, but current mainstream rap is largely just about getting drunk/high at "da club," booty, and donks. It can be cleaned up enough to sell to the mainstream, so that's the garbage that's popular.

That's another major thing wrong with today's rap. The nonsense that is played on the radio these days is unbearable and completely idiotic. If you're not a gangsta with hoe's under your arm, you simply can't relate to the song.

I used to love the days of Tupac, LL cool J, Biggie, Jay-Z, etc rappers of the 90s and early 2000. Songs used to have meaning, not a bunch of made up words and phrases stuck together just to make something that rhymes
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem

I used to love the days of Tupac, LL cool J, Biggie, Jay-Z, etc rappers of the 90s and early 2000. Songs used to have meaning, not a bunch of made up words and phrases stuck together just to make something that rhymes
33.gif

You might like "D.O.A." (Death of Auto-Tune) by Jay-Z. It's pretty much about how a lot of current rap is garbage.

I much prefer the good old days of white boy sugar pop with intelligent lyrics like;

"Yummy Yummy Yummy I got love in my tummy and I feel like loving you!"

-AAaaa ... right.

Last edited:

That's another major thing wrong with today's rap. The nonsense that is played on the radio these days is unbearable and completely idiotic. [edit]

33.gif

Thanks fellas.

I was wanting to defend good rap without supporting the enormous amount garbage rap that is out there. And I really couldn't have said it any better myself.

Originally Posted By: matrass
nothing worse that hearing a good song on a cd only to find out it is the only one that is worth listening too. it seems to be more rare these days to find a cd where you can say, man that whole thing is good from start to finish.

Thank you!!!

or maybe even rare these days to find a cd where you can say they made a "good faith" effort from start to finish.

[albeit i don't buy as many CDs as i used to. my experience is somewhat dated]

Amen to that! 90% of the rap those days is literally the same 3 chord beat over and over without any real music at all! it's simply a beat and curse words for them to play at the club, nothing more. It's pathetic and just goes to show that today's so called "Artists" don't have any real talent, style, taste or imagination to actually make something worth listening too next week after the "latest hit" comes out. People forget that sorry donkey's rear end beat in a hurry and move on to the next cool "joint".

That's another major thing wrong with today's rap. The nonsense that is played on the radio these days is unbearable and completely idiotic. If you're not a gangsta with hoe's under your arm, you simply can't relate to the song.

33.gif

I'm trying to remember what my dad said about rock when i was growing up - "thugs"..

Both my sons listen to it. I helped install a sub in my oldest sons car. Makes the windows and fenders shake in waves. Feels like my heart could stop from the pressure when he turns it up. Computer generated tones with somebody rhyming a sad story, what I hear.
shocked.gif

They have broken me down so I can tolerate Mac Miller a little bit.
lol.gif
But I still find myself reaching for the volume..Just painful to my ears, sorry..

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I much prefer the good old days of white boy sugar pop with intelligent lyrics like;

"Yummy Yummy Yummy I got love in my tummy and I feel like loving you!"

-AAaaa ... right.

Actually, I like INTELLIGENT lyrics. Like say...this one by Jim Steinman:

Quote:
The skies were pure and the fields were green
And the sun was brighter than it's ever been
When I grew up with my best friend Kenny
We were close as any brothers than you ever knew

It was always summer and the future called
We were ready for adventures and we wanted them all
And there was so much left to dream and so much time to make it real

But I can still recall the sting of all the tears when he was gone
They said he crashed and burned
I know I'll never learn why any boy should die so young

We were racing, we were soldiers of fortune
We got in trouble but we sure got around
There are times I think I see him peeling out of the dark
I think he's right behind me now and he's gaining ground

Chorus:
But it was long ago and it was far away, oh God it seems so very far
And if life is just a highway, then the soul is just a car
And objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are

And when the sun descended and the night arose
I heard my father cursing everyone he knows
He was dangerous and drunk and defeated
And corroded by failure and envy and hate

There were endless winters and the dreams would freeze
Nowhere to hide and no leaves on the trees
And my father's eyes were blank as he hit me again and again and again

I know I still believe he'd never let me leave, I had to run away alone
So many threats and fears, so many wasted years before my life became my own

And though the nightmares should be over
Some of the terrors are still intact
I'll hear that ugly coarse and violent voice
And then he grabs me from behind and then he pulls me back

There was a beauty living on the edge of town
And she always put the top up and the hammer down
And she taught me everything I'll ever know
About the mystery and the muscle of love

The stars would glimmer and the moon would glow
I'm in the back seat with my Julie like a Romeo
And the signs along the highway all said, Caution! Kids At Play!

Those were the rites of spring and we did everything
There was salvation every night
We got our dreams reborn and our upholstery torn
But everything we tried was right

She used her body just like a bandage, she used my body just like a wound
I'll probably never know where she disappeared
But I can see her rising up out of the back seat now
Just like an angel rising up from a tomb

And objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are (repeats 6x)

She used her body just like a bandage, she used my body just like a wound
I'll probably never know where she disappeared But I can see her rising up
out of the back seat now............

Let's see a rap "singer" come up with a story like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back