Much dealership bashing? Customers always right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this thread, I'd like to take on a sort of thought experiment: to see things from the dealership's perspective.

I am not in any way affiliated with any dealership, in fact, I try to avoid dealerships (their sales and/or service departments) if at all possible.

... but, I got to thinking about why dealerships behave the way they do and it seems that a lot of them practice what might be called "Defensive Service." (DS.) Dealerships probably do this because some customer will try to get them to do a repair that they aren't contractually responsible for.

Where the dealership might be defended is in the way they deal with warranty issues. I'm pretty sure that some (or many?) warranty issues that crop up are not a result of defects in assembly or design but in fact, through "abuse." I am only taking a guess here and I am guessing that statistically this is probably true. For the cheap stuff, I think most dealerships will just give you the benefit of the doubt and cover it all. Actually, the manufacturer covers it.

An example: during the blizzard of 2010, I helped a man get out of the snow by pushing his car and also recruiting help from others. He was driving a late-model Nissan Altima with only 20,000 miles on it. The guy must've went back and forth some 50 times, at least, and within a short time span. He switched from reverse to drive, instantaneously and he really floored it--back and forth he went, within seconds. At one point, he has his foot on the gas but the wheels would not spin. I thought his tranny was cooked. We waited a bit and everything seemed to work okay but that transmission took a lot of abuse. We finally got out of the snow and I advised him to replace the ATF. He said he would do so ASAP but truthfully, I think he was just being polite since I helped him for so long. I don't think he really cared and maybe because he knew he had 40,000 miles of powertrain warranty left.

Let's assume that this is indeed abuse. Of course, one can argue that it isn't, that transmission SHOULD be built such that this type of behavior is within normal operating range.

So, the question is, are dealerships/manufacturer right in denying a warranty claim from such abuse? How would they know that you abused the car? Not all abuse is obvious. They have to make a call. Some dealerships give you the benefit of the doubt, others will make you prove you didn't abuse the car.

What about dealerships who need to contend with customers who come in for warranty work but do their own DIY maintenance? I'm sure, in the back of their minds, they are contending with the possibility the warranty repair was necessary because you didn't do the transmission flush or drain and refill right or the oil change or, WHATEVER, right. They just don't know.

Anyways, I'm trying to see things from THEIR perspective. I still hate them with passion.

not exactly related, but i ran an ope dealership for years in a small town in so. indiana, i stood on my head for customers, did so mant things for customers, got warranty work pushed thru that in NO way should have ever went! for example changing bad oil and transmission filters so it looked up to par with the reps, and i had one hellofa customer base, business owners, mayor, sheriff, you name it......did i have complaints? sure but they were few far and in between! Even fudged recipts to make things look good.

Last edited:
My experience is not good. Over 40 years of driving many different makes and models and a several year stint as a mechanic in a dealership has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I am sure they may get taken advantage of rarely but normally they deny everything!

Ive never been denied or had an attempt to deny any of the claims Ive had (which are few) at a dealer. This includes situations where ive taken the vehicle to a dealer other than where Ive bought (which Ive had to skip over dealers because of this being an issue though it shouldnt be).

I have found prices for "recommended" work to be performed by the dealership tobe extreme sometimes, but Ive never felt gouged for anything that shouldnt be done.

Maybe it is because I ask for numbers on stuff like brakes, rotors, etc. and are aware of my vehicle's repair status?

I agree a lot of the nasty things they do are at least somewhat forced on them by customers who have certain expectations of them on the sales side, and poor personal responsibility on the service side.

I probably only like working on cars because it's a hobby.

to me what must be understood under a serious issue (as seen in the toyota issue in the pcmo thread) is that the dealer is merely a puppet on a string, the dealer wants ONE thing and that is to be paid! in the toyota case on here is more than likely come down to toyota sending their own rep down, look at the issue and determine if its going to be a warranty issue or not, the dealer doesnt make that decision 9x out of 10

The customer is NOT always right. I worked as a pizza delivery driver. We'd get complaints about orders being screwed up, charged the wrong amount, and delivered "late". In most all of cases, the customers were the ones who fudged the order/coupon/address or forgot that we told them "over an hour" 50 minutes ago. We sent out a lot of redone food to keep folks happy, and made it right when we had clearly screwed up.

So, dealing with whiny, mumbling, imprecise customers trying to describe problems using layman's terms isn't the greatest. But a car is more involved than a pizza, and with the money spent on them, a dealer should be trying to keep folks happy so they buy more. Given the number of dealers that are only out for the maximum amount of profit and nothing more, let them get bashed.

Honestly, I don't think that rocking a car in snow once in a while is abuse. If he did it every other day for 1-2 years just for fun, yes it maybe considered abuse. I also think that some cars right now are not as reliable as they used to be. Tons of electronics and computers with GPS units, stereo hard drives, electronic suspension adjustment, and etc. certainly does not help. Even if one of those auxiliary components brakes down customer satisfaction with the car does way down even if it does not affect how the car drives.

I think that dealerships way too often refer to abuse clause. For example:
Nissan GTR has everything listed in the manual on how to race a car and what you need to turn on or off on a racing track. They also list maintenance schedule for the high-speed, high-performance driving.

Yet, they explicitly say in a warranty booklet that (quote):

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
DAMAGE, FAILURES OR CORROSION DUE TO
ACCIDENTS, MISUSE OR ALTERATIONS
This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion
resulting from:

- Accident, theft, fire, driving through water (including
engine water ingestion) or misuse, which includes, but
is not limited to, operation in violation of any applicable
law and racing and/or competitive driving of any sort
whatsoever, and/or use on a track or driving on any airstrip.

(Proper use is outlined in your OWNER’S MANUAL).
- Alteration, tampering or improper repair, including but
not limited to installation of exterior parts or components
that alter intake or cooling airflow
- Dynamometer testing except a dynamometer test
performed to comply with applicable local law for
emissions testing;

(end quote)

For god's sake, this is a racing car. And they say not to race it even though Nissan also provides maint schedule for high-performance driving... What gives?

Originally Posted By: unixguru
Honestly, I don't think that rocking a car in snow once in a while is abuse. If he did it every other day for 1-2 years just for fun, yes it maybe considered abuse. I also think that some cars right now are not as reliable as they used to be. Tons of electronics and computers with GPS units, stereo hard drives, electronic suspension adjustment, and etc. certainly does not help. Even if one of those auxiliary components brakes down customer satisfaction with the car does way down even if it does not affect how the car drives.

I think that dealerships way too often refer to abuse clause. For example:
Nissan GTR has everything listed in the manual on how to race a car and what you need to turn on or off on a racing track. They also list maintenance schedule for the high-speed, high-performance driving.

Yet, they explicitly say in a warranty booklet that (quote):

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
DAMAGE, FAILURES OR CORROSION DUE TO
ACCIDENTS, MISUSE OR ALTERATIONS
This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion
resulting from:

- Accident, theft, fire, driving through water (including
engine water ingestion) or misuse, which includes, but
is not limited to, operation in violation of any applicable
law and racing and/or competitive driving of any sort
whatsoever, and/or use on a track or driving on any airstrip.

(Proper use is outlined in your OWNER’S MANUAL).
- Alteration, tampering or improper repair, including but
not limited to installation of exterior parts or components
that alter intake or cooling airflow
- Dynamometer testing except a dynamometer test
performed to comply with applicable local law for
emissions testing;

(end quote)

For god's sake, this is a racing car. And they say not to race it even though Nissan also provides maint schedule for high-performance driving... What gives?

you can still race it, except you don't have a warranty. seems fair to me.

Methinks it's a lot like many things on the internet : The extremes get over-reported and the 80% in the middle is never heard from. There is some abuse on both sides, but what makes the dealership's misconduct so heinous is they profit from it and know better. If you have good background knowledge, most service writers will stand down. Females and nerdy men will be often be seen as ripe fruit for the picking.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

I generally would agree with your statement, but considering that this is a race car and was designed as such I don't. The maintenance schedule and tips provided by the factory for high-performance driving at least make it *look* like it's OK to engage in if not racing, but in high-performance driving.

Competitive wheel to wheel racing is one thing; taking your car to an HPDE is an entirely different issue. In my case both my BMW dealer and my Mazda dealer know that I instruct at HPDEs(my BMW Service Advisor also participates) and I have never been denied warranty coverage. What sticks in my craw is when a manufacturer promotes and sells a car as a very high performance vehicle and then is quick to void the warranty if it is driven at an HPDE(see: Mitsubishi Evolution, Nissan GTR, Subaru WRX).

1. Cooking the tranny fluid, (even if you do it only once) causing transmission failure, or shortening the life of the transmission is not a warrantable repair. It's abuse.

2. When consumers (not the typical BITOG member) read "100,000 miles without scheduled tune-up), what they SEE is "I don't have to do anything but change the oil until 100,000 miles."

3. Then when you hit them with a reasonable charge for changing trans fluid, plugs, wires (if equipped) and all the fluids at 100k miles, they freak out. They forget they haven't spent a dime so far on maintenance.

4. Another primary cause for their "freak out" is that they bought way too much vehicle for their budget. They can afford that $800 car note, but not the maintenance, or the insurance doubling when their teenage son gets 2 speeding tickets in it. So I see plenty of 3 year old $55k SUV's with 65,000 miles, and no a/c, front tires worn out, and probably need a brake job.

OP - what does the powertrain warranty have to do with the dealership? That would go directly to the mfr.

If you want to swap horror stories of the dealership service department ripoffs, that's another story. Your particular example has nothing to do with them. They are in business to make a profit, and with car sales way down, guess who ownership is going to squeeze to bring in revenue?

Last edited:
The dealer is the manufacturer's representative, and has agreed in writing to it's rules and regulations.

The dealer performs warranty work at their expense, and gets reimbursed by the manufacturer with parts markup. That includes either sending the failed parts back to the manufacturer, or holding them for inspection by the manufacturer's parts and service rep.

So when you warranty a transmission with cooked parts that didn't lose it's fluid by a leak, and the manufacturer inspects the parts, chances are the dealership will be charged back for the repair. Furthermore, the dealership is generally recognized to have a certain level of competence, so the manufacturer considers that "warranty fraud". And manufacturers not only charge warranty fraud back to dealers, but they prosecute for it. I know of one local dealer and service manager that have done hard prison time, so it's not an idle threat.

I generally would agree with your statement, but considering that this is a race car and was designed as such I don't. The maintenance schedule and tips provided by the factory for high-performance driving at least make it *look* like it's OK to engage in if not racing, but in high-performance driving.

The Nissan GT-R is not a race car. It's a sports car. BIG difference.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

The Nissan GT-R is not a race car. It's a sports car. BIG difference.

Exactly. To begin with, it's a bit of a porker.

So long as the customer has the money and the dealership wants the money then the playing field will be to the customers advantage.

In my local area I was very happy to see the hard-nosed franchise dealerships get shut down when the economy went tango uniform. Oddly enough, the ones that stayed open were also the ones that partnered with their local communities and seemed to treat customers as 'assets' to their business model. The guys that were notorious for shady operations and screwing the less informed patrons are now out of business. One such franchise was the Bill Heard crew of thieves. Thankfully they got what they deserved.

I do business with my local dealerships that treat me as a human being. I do my best to turn business away from the others.

20 years as a tech (perf/elec), 3 years as a shop foreman, 11 yrs with FoMoCo. Thankfully retired from that life.

We went out of our way to cover customer screwups, as long as we could do it without skewing our warranty trends out of whack. That is something all dealers have to contend with. As long as your warranty trends are in line with everyone else, you can essentially get away with murder. I replaced a lot of "defective" MAFs in K&N equipped cars (requisite K&N bashing satisfied), along with the requisite SBDS diagnostic slam. Our transmission man rebuilt a lot of transmissions that were behind modified (blowers/NO2) engines. I think I rebuilt 8.8s on a few that would fall under the "abuse" category.

Work is work. Of course warranty time hurts sometimes (SLTS), but that's life. During the winter time when techs are playing poker, killing time until that next RO, any work is good. I never ran across a service writer, a service manager, or tech who turned down borderline work because of ethics and an interest in saving corporate money.

Not a huge fan of Patrick Swaze movies in general (except maybe Red Dawn..........Wolverines!), but in "Roadhouse" he gave an essential piece of advice.............."Be nice."

It isn't all about numbers. If you are a customer out to ruin my day with your attitude and insane demands, and your concern is borderline as far as warranty is concerned, I and my service manager would go out of our way to make your life miserable and cost you money, and time. There are a fair amount of people that post on this board that fit into this category. We are only human, and yes, we have seen it all (fake oil change receipts among the chicanery). On the other hand, if you are reasonable, HONEST, and pleasant to deal with, we would bust our hump to help out (IF we could). I could almost guarantee if we had to kick up a service request to a district rep, it was going to be denied as they were a lot tighter with FoMoCos cash than we were. Customers always had the best chance of coming out ahead (fiancially) if they could get the dealer on their side to begin with instead of making an enemy out of them.

I like Punisher's angle on the dealership/customer dynamic.

One of the things that I have noticed is that all of the "service advisers" that one interacts with (at least in my town) are administrative types with dubious technical knowledge. I'm not certain what their qualification requirements are, but it seems like a quick class given quarterly maybe on some critical points, like warranty coverage, TSBs, recalls, etc. would make them more effective. Maybe they already do this and I just end up with the one who was hungover that day, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back