Move from Mobil 1 5-30 ER to Pennzoil Plat 5-30

I only noticed a very slight valvetrain noise reduction when moving up in viscosity. Other than that, everything is subjective and opinion. I've tried PUP 5W-30 in a noisy Hyundai Lambda II 3.3L engine, and it didn't sound any different than Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, Castrol EDGE 0W-40, or Mobil 1 FS 5W-40 in the same engine. I did notice, however, a slight improvement in fuel economy by going thinner in the same engine. I'm running M1 EP 5W-30 in it again, probably for the long haul.

I care about wear control and engine cleanliness. I honestly don't know how well Pennzoil performs in that regard compared to Mobil 1 and AMSOIL. I want to think that Pennzoil, a rebranded Shell Helix Ultra product performs well. For a small blender, AMSOIL, sure enough, conducts plenty of testing for its lubricants. But I have yet to read from folks who ran this stuff for several hundred thousand miles in the same engine, and it's still running well. I've seen folks running Mobil 1 in the same engine for several years with excellent results. There is a 2014 RAM 1500 on the RamForum with over 300K miles on the clock fed a steady diet of M1 EP 5W-20 with 15K OCIs. I've even seen RedLine 5W-30 run in two HEMIs for over 100K miles. I'd like to see something similar with PUP.

And that's concerning because additives make up a small but significant percentage of the total lubricant.

They probably are, and we could maybe and *only* split hairs under extreme conditions.

Definitively RAM! :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the info. I'm running 0w-20 AFE in my '17 Camry and running 0w-20 PUP next and will post any noticeable differences.

Thanks for the info. I'm running 0w-20 AFE in my '17 Camry and running 0w-20 PUP next and will post any noticeable differences.
I doubt you'll see any. M1 AFE 0W-20 is as close to PUP 0W-20 as it gets. I don't know if Shell uses ANs in their PUP line of products, but given their relationship with XOM and Infineum, they probably are. M1 AFE 0W-20 uses mainly GTL for base oil.

1648576052077.jpg

I doubt you'll see any. M1 AFE 0W-20 is as close to PUP 0W-20 as it gets. I don't know if Shell uses ANs in their PUP line of products, but given their relationship with XOM and Infineum, they probably are. M1 AFE 0W-20 uses mainly GTL for base oil.

View attachment 94448
Yes, they are very close, Both oils are 8.8 vis. Just thought I'd try something different next run.

You’re the one on here making the claims against them, the burdens on you to actually provide anything to back that up. Nice try though
Mobil 1 have rebate 2 times year $12 to $15 on other end pennzoil from last 2 to 3 year only do rebates for gifts and mobil 1 has all base oil when on other end pennzoil used group 3 or gas to liquid base oil when compared with rebates mobil 1 is always cheaper if you buy from Walmart and amazon when it on sale. So on perfomance to price mobil 1 win if diy.

Mobil 1 have rebate 2 times year $12 to $15 on other end pennzoil from last 2 to 3 year only do rebates for gifts and mobil 1 has all base oil when on other end pennzoil used group 3 or gas to liquid base oil when compared with rebates mobil 1 is always cheaper if you buy from Walmart and amazon when it on sale. So on perfomance to price mobil 1 win if diy.
Im not comparing deals on oils lol. I’ve just switched over to Mobil 1 0w20 EP for the high pao base stock. So I’m definitely not trying to say Pennzoils better. But I’m also not going to make baseless claims that Pennzoil ultra performs poorly. That’s a pretty bold statement to make when it’s a fairly well regarded oil and has had great uoa’s on these forums.

I've got about 3k running the PP 5-30 in the 3.6 Subaru. All subjective statements coming but like many of us, when you pay attention to detail you tend to notice things. Unfortunately, we've had a wet and cold Spring here in NY. A few mornings at 32F since the PP has been in the sump. It is a little quieter at startup than Mobil 1, or at least I perceive it to be.

I would have to say it feels very smooth throughout the OCI so far. Again, subjective. I do not have fears PP won't perform as the 17 3.6 is not DI and is not harsh on oil. I am going to take the OCI to 7k and send off a UOA. I believe I have 4 UOA's with Mobil 1 5-30 that can be compared to the PP. I am not going to 8k as I do worry about the viscosity. From what I've read, PP is a light 5-30 with some claiming it really a heavy 5-20. My 3.6 calls for 5-30 from the manufacturer.

Besides factory fill 2017 Outback 3.6 has only seen Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP for about 107k. My OCI comfort level for the way I drive is 8k-10k. UOA show me 8k is a breeze. I go to 10k if I'm driving increased highway mileage. I've mostly used ST and Mobil 1 in the last decade. I did use PYB often in a 2004 F150 with excellent results.

I have 50 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 and plan on making the move at my next oil change. This Subaru burns less than a quart over that 8k OCI, so I'm good for over 50k with Penz Plat. I don't like to assume so I'll ask. I expect my vehicle to not know the difference between the M1 and Penz Plat but I did wonder what the differences are between the two as well as any nuances since the Penz is natural gas derivative??

Oil filter will remain Fram Ultra.
By all means use that Pennzoil Platinum w/confidence! Used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (very similar) in my '14 F150 Lariat FX4 Gen1 Ecoboost its whole life (from 1200mis) & got near 300k mis when I sold that truck to a friend to be used as a work truck. Used Motorcraft filters oil & air exclusively as well . Ran 5-6kmis OCI religiously. Mostly midgrade Shell fuels too but doubt that did anything much .
Pennzoil Ultra does have some settle. So have you figured how to fix that problem? It is OK to throw in your 2 cents… They are all good products. Ford or Chevy conversation on the internet without qualifications.
I haven't seen any settling in my stash & I've been looking the past 2-3yrs!

Where did you read that it performed better than other formulations? I mean other than Pennzoil's narketing materials that is.

A splash of PAO won't do any good. FYI, PAO is not the only thing that makes M1 EP 0W-20 a good oil, it's the entire combined formulation, like the use if ANs and organic friction reducers. PAO helps tremendously with cold flow. As a counter example, Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 will outperform M1 EP 0W-20 in cleanliness and wear in dirty GDI and Diesel engines, and it's a Group III lube. But it's been formulated for that purpose as it's MB229.71 approved and claims ACEA C5. It will, however not beat Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 in gasoline engines. Pennzoil on the other hand isn't great at either, except at marketing. Then again, everyone can put in their engine whatever they want, it's their money. Just don't pout it in there thinking that it will do any miracles for your engine, it won't.

Anyone remember the addices falling out lf suspension in Pennzoil jugs from a while back? I can't remember ever seeing this problem with Mobil 1 EP.
Was many yrs ago (the scenario). I checked all my PUP stash an never saw this. Been using this oil in all my vehicles since @least 2009 w/out any issues ..only well running high mileage engines. 👍

I've got about 3k running the PP 5-30 in the 3.6 Subaru. All subjective statements coming but like many of us, when you pay attention to detail you tend to notice things. Unfortunately, we've had a wet and cold Spring here in NY. A few mornings at 32F since the PP has been in the sump. It is a little quieter at startup than Mobil 1, or at least I perceive it to be.

I would have to say it feels very smooth throughout the OCI so far. Again, subjective. I do not have fears PP won't perform as the 17 3.6 is not DI and is not harsh on oil. I am going to take the OCI to 7k and send off a UOA. I believe I have 4 UOA's with Mobil 1 5-30 that can be compared to the PP. I am not going to 8k as I do worry about the viscosity. From what I've read, PP is a light 5-30 with some claiming it really a heavy 5-20. My 3.6 calls for 5-30 from the manufacturer.
Lots ppl say that PP or PUP is quieter at startup vs Mobil 1 . Tho i understand it's seat of pants observation.

Pennzoil Ultra does have some settle. So have you figured how to fix that problem? It is OK to throw in your 2 cents… They are all good products. Ford or Chevy conversation on the internet without qualifications.
I buy /drive Ford trucks.. all bought new & always used PUP in em! Never encountered any engine issues whatsoever nor expected to. I suspect most all the newer full synthetic oils from larger distributors are robust & very good. Never tried RP or RL in any my daily drivers. Those boutique oils best left for high performance sports cars in my opinion that only see wknds, high redlines, short OCIs.

Back