Motul oil new stuff X-max 0w-40, suitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all, my car is VW Passat B6 1.8TSI+DSG with 10,000 km milage. I've been always using X-Cess due to:
1. x-max 5W-30 quited markets
2. X-Cess is with VW approval.
But now X-Max is coming back to market with new product X-Max 0w-40. In data sheet, it doesn't have approval for VW and not using Euro spec, ACEA, to test, but ILCEA GF spec.
That's really confusing me. I do want to use X-Max series because this series was Ester based. But latest datasheet for this new product doesn't show up description of Ester Based.
In summary, my questions are:
1. Does X-max 5W-40 suitable for VW PASSAT B6 TSI engine?
2. Does X-max Ester based, Ester content similar to X-max 5w-30?
3. Which is proposed for my car? X-cess, X-max or others? How about GC?

Thank you!
Jason

What ACEA and VW approval level does your car require?
If X-Max doesn't have the VW approval, I say don't use it.

Originally Posted By: OilJabber
But now X-Max is coming back to market with new product X-Max 0w-40. In data sheet, it doesn't have approval for VW and not using Euro spec, ACEA, to test, but ILCEA GF spec.
That's really confusing me. I do want to use X-Max series because this series was Ester based. But latest datasheet for this new product doesn't show up description of Ester Based.

Looking at X-Max 0w-40 data sheet, it was designed for Ford applications. And since it's a mid-SAPS product, it has a fairly low starting TBN, which means it may not be up to the task to withstand the relatively long oil change intervals that VW adheres to, especially if gasoline quality is questionable where you live.

Why don't you just use X-Max 5w-30? It carries VW specs.

Also, what is your obsession with esters? There are plenty of non-ester based oils out there that do very well in turbo applications.

GC meets VW specs, too, but can you even get it in China?

Thank you. And your reply do helped. I totally agreed with your concerns. I did also think about those when I walked through introduction. X-max 5w-30 is pretty nice to my passat B6 vehicle from my car friends' experience, but in my country this oil cannot be obtained any more because as far as I know, this oil is quitting from market.
So, I'm looking for a substitution for that, at the same quality level, of the same ester content. I'm also believing in base oil, ester is the king.

You can have a great oil without esters, and you can have a poor oil with esters. You have to look at the total formulation.

From what I can tell, X-Max 5w-40 meets VW 502 and 505 specs. If that is what your car requires, you can use that oil with confidence.

X-Cess is an older product, but should work if you can't get X-Max.

X-max 5w-30 is pretty nice to my passat B6 vehicle from my car friends' experience, but in my country this oil cannot be obtained any more because as far as I know, this oil is quitting from market.

Sorry. I missed that info in your original thread.

What about Mobil1 0w-40? Don't like it?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
You can have a great oil without esters, and you can have a poor oil with esters. You have to look at the total formulation.

From what I can tell, X-Max 5w-40 meets VW 502 and 505 specs. If that is what your car requires, you can use that oil with confidence.

X-Cess is an older product, but should work if you can't get X-Max.

No it`s not - formula was updated last year and now it carries more stringent approvals
wink.gif
My dad uses it in a BMW 328 E46 - no complaints or so over/

It carries all the Euro spec approvals, including Porsche. How bad can it be?

The sooner you get past the whole oil base mentality and start focusing on performance, the better off you'll be.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It carries all the Euro spec approvals, including Porsche. How bad can it be?

The sooner you get past the whole oil base mentality and start focusing on performance, the better off you'll be.
smile.gif

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Looking at X-Max 0w-40 data sheet, it was designed for Ford applications. And since it's a mid-SAPS product, it has a fairly low starting TBN, which means it may not be up to the task to withstand the relatively long oil change intervals that VW adheres to, especially if gasoline quality is questionable where you live.

Why don't you just use X-Max 5w-30? It carries VW specs.

Also, what is your obsession with esters? There are plenty of non-ester based oils out there that do very well in turbo applications.

GC meets VW specs, too, but can you even get it in China?

Pete, thanks. But GC viscosity is pretty low which brings up my concerns of oil consumption issue.
By the way, can you give me a lesson of how to determin whether high TBN based on SAPS result? The higher SAPS the lower TBN?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
AFAIK, it's not all-new; it was simply tweaked to obtain the new approvals.

Agree. So I'm deciding to make a change. Currently, I searched here we cannot obtain x-max 5w-40 neither. Too bad...
Can GC work well with turbocharged VW engine? Pricing here looks quite competative.

GC viscosity is pretty low which brings up my concerns of oil consumption issue.

Actually, GC is one of the thickest xw-30 products you can buy. It's almost an xw-40.

By the way, can you give me a lesson of how to determin whether high TBN based on SAPS result? The higher SAPS the lower TBN?

In general, the lower the SAPS, the lower the TBN. There are many exceptions but that's the general trend.

A low- or mid-SAPS oil can still have a high TBN if it compromises on other additives.

Can GC work well with turbocharged VW engine?

I would hope so. The current formula carries VW 502.00 and 505.00 approvals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back