• MB-APPROVAL 229.5 / 226.5
  • PORSCHE A40
  • RENAULT RN0710 - RN0700
  • VW 502 00 – 505 00
  • CHRYSLER MS-12991
  • FIAT 9.55535-H2, FIAT 9.55535-M2, FIAT 9.55535-N2, FIAT 9.55535-Z2
  • GM-OPEL LL B-025 (DIESEL)
  • PSA B71 2296

News release: https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/news/products-innovation/motul-difference-xclean-xcess-gen2
Key takeaways:​
"8100 X-cess has also been updated to a "GEN2" that meets the standards for the BMW LL-01 approval for all vehicles, including 2019 and newer, while retaining its existing approvals for Porsche, VW, Audi, and Mercedes Benz."
"With more stringent emissions standards and updates in technology, automotive manufacturers have shifted to smaller, forced induction engines. During the development of the latest generation of BMW engines, existing approved oils were found to be underperforming in oxidation stability, deposit control, and oil life. Motul invested heavily to retain all OEM approvals in order to be the lead in approved products and overall quality."
"For 8100 X-cess 5W40, the "first generation" will eventually be phased out of the market as it does not meet the latest (2019+) BMW LL-01 standard. But can still be used for all pre-2019 BMW LL-01, Porsche A40, VW 502 00 / 505 00, and Mercedes Benz models requiring 229.5/226.5/229.3."
"8100 X-cess gen2 5W40 is OEM approved for all new 2019+ BMWs requiring LL-01 (and backward compatible to all previous cars requiring BMW LL-01)
  • Increased oil performance in high horsepower applications
  • Improved viscosity stability under extreme temperatures
  • Increased turbocharger cleanliness and protection
  • Low pour point for better cold start performance
  • Better additive retention contributing to engine protection
  • Longer oil life"

Product link: https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/8100-x-cess-gen2-5w-40

Motul VOA.JPG

Last edited:
sp version.

looks like KV 40 increased from 75 to 85
viscosity index is lower 169 from 186 sn version
TBN increased from 10 to 12 sp version.

here is a sds ,probably from sn version.

this is the x-clean 5-40 gen 2

and sds

i know now that sds is not what the final product is, but comparing these 2 can we say that x-cess has a better base oil?

I believe he means that maybe X-clean has higher amounts of group 4 oils in the mix.
Atleast VI, pourpoint and V at 150*C points to that? But im just guessing outa my ass.

I do not see the point of C oils in gasoline engines without (E)PF, that runs on European fuel though.

Last edited:
No clue. I am not particularly skilled in reading the tea leaves of a typical properties PI or in an SDS to determine if one oil is better than another when similar approvals are involved.

Last edited:
Im not either, where is the difference then. Addpack or baseoil?
something like that.without being an expert from what i read so far, xcess has better base oil and xclean an addpack in the mix? of course none of this matters if at the end,the final product has same results. just for educational reasons, unless an expert can inform us.

I believe he means that maybe X-clean has higher amounts of group 4 oils in the mix.
Atleast VI, pourpoint and V at 150*C points to that? But im just guessing outa my ass.

I do not see the point of C oils in gasoline engines without (E)PF, that runs on European fuel though.
because ..in opieoils online shop for example there are 11- ll01oils and 37- ll04oils. its getting harder to find.

29 Here. I would just look for MB229.5 instead for now, seems like EU are just low on stock for the moment.
ACEA -16 spec was just banned from sale, and new API SP spec is on the way in. Temporary supply/transition to newer spec issues imo.

Last edited:
Back