Motorist Was Watching Movie When His Tesla Crashed Into Cop Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still surprised the NHSTA allowed Tesla to use the Autopilot name.

Other automakers have a safety feature that alerts the driver if they take their hands off the steering wheel. That could be added.
Teslas have always had the hands on check. It will make a ton of noise and stop AP for the duration of the drive if you fail to hold the wheel when warned. It has gotten stricter over the time we have had our car. Owners call it the "nag" feature.
It is not a static time value; it depends on speed and possibly other parameters. AP is constantly being modified with Machine Learning based on driver's AP use. In can be as little as 10 seconds, but the nag is usually closer to 30 seconds.

Here is an older video...
Autopilot Nag

I haven't heard if this driver had his hands on the steering wheel or not.

Last edited:
Having one or both hands on the wheel doesn't guarantee that the driver has his eyes on the road and his brain engaged. I suppose an algorithm could be written for checking the eye thing, but how about for the brain thing?

Having one or both hands on the wheel doesn't guarantee that the driver has his eyes on the road and his brain engaged. I suppose an algorithm could be written for checking the eye thing, but how about for the brain thing?
Agreed. Some drivers seem to think driving is time to check email, texts, etc. on their cell phones.
Once I hit a curb in a VW while writing my girlfriend's initials on the steamy windshield...

Driving a car is the driver's responsibility, not the car's. Driver error is at least partly responsible for high 90's percent of accidents.
This is the bottom line until if and when a true AP system is built and tested to be safe.

The driver admitted fault; he did not blame the car.
He was watching the movie on his cell phone.
Tesla instructs owners to maintain control of the car at all times, including while on AP.

sounds like doublespeak

Its one or the other

Just more skillfully crafted marketing BS

Heavy statements of punishment(s) while using terms like "supposedly" sure does not instill confidence in the subject matter. Blame is ultimately on the driver who is the person in control. This is a case of irresponsible use of tech by the operator.

Not necessarily legally, politically or individually- if you don't believe that just contrast that exact same sentiment and argument with gun control

Tesla AP is clearly defined.

"It assists except when it doesnt"
I believe that is true of everything.

You mean skillfully worded in the principle of caveat emptor where the naming convention is designed to create the governing image and individual belief and the details are buried in the fine print. Nothing new about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back