motorcycle seat comfort

Oh my.

This is one of those subjects where there is not one definitive answer. All butts are different and so are the assorted appendages connected to them.

The short answer is that if you are looking to spend serious time on a motorcycle then you just have to figure out what works for you the old fashioned way.

I use an AirHawk seat pad. 20,000 happy miles on it so far.
The pads are inexpensive compared to an aftermarket seat. The trick is to use very little air and run it almost flat, only enough air so that it distributes the air when you sit.

I have a saddle sore 1000, and been to nearly every state in CONUS on two wheels. I have only ever replaced one seat, and that was on my SV1000S - I upgraded to a Suzuki branded gel seat upgrade. I did my SS1000 on my stock seat on a Buell XB12XT. I think I have owned over 16 different bikes...usually the stock is just fine.

I will say the seat on my Vitpilen is not great, but I never ride it over an hour straight anyways.

I like foam seats, especially those that come on Japanese bikes. Seems to conform well, while not crushing under my ample weight.

My favorite foam seats, in any vehicle, include those made with Dax foam, manufactured by Scandia. The stuff does not break down, and is available in various densities. layering produces awesome results. While not cheap, it can sometimes be found in scrap pieces at aircraft interior shops. The brown stuff being hardest, and the green, pretty much universal.

Unlike most car seats (and aircraft seats) motorcycles tend not to need super soft layers. But instead a conforming firm top layer, with something a bit more firm (with just enough give) under. Just 2 layers.

fireguard__97278.1411682540.1280.1280.jpg

+1 on the Corbin seats. Had a Russel Day Long on a BMW RT 100. Didn’t care much for it. The Russel seemed to perch you up on the bike instead of down in the bike plus the side pads for your but were annoying.

I have a saddle sore 1000, and been to nearly every state in CONUS on two wheels. I have only ever replaced one seat, and that was on my SV1000S - I upgraded to a Suzuki branded gel seat upgrade. I did my SS1000 on my stock seat on a Buell XB12XT. I think I have owned over 16 different bikes...usually the stock is just fine.

I will say the seat on my Vitpilen is not great, but I never ride it over an hour straight anyways.
2 things going on, my old hips of 78 years are wearing somewhat and my teen years plus are showing now days,,,will have to cut back on any long rides,,,will stick to maybe 100 mile round trips,,,and lots of those pain patches for my bottom and knees,,,old age is a u know what and so on......................

2 things going on, my old hips of 78 years are wearing somewhat and my teen years plus are showing now days,,,will have to cut back on any long rides,,,will stick to maybe 100 mile round trips,,,and lots of those pain patches for my bottom and knees,,,old age is a u know what and so on......................

I only have 45 years of wear and tear on my body, but my surgeon says I have the joints of an 80 year old from my years of weight training and competing. My knees and elbows will give out LOOOOONG before my rear end will on a long ride (not to mention my carpel tunnel).

I only have 45 years of wear and tear on my body, but my surgeon says I have the joints of an 80 year old from my years of weight training and competing. My knees and elbows will give out LOOOOONG before my rear end will on a long ride (not to mention my carpel tunnel).
That’s unfortunate to hear. I always figured weight training was good for your joints. Maybe there’s a limit past which you start doing damage?

That’s unfortunate to hear. I always figured weight training was good for your joints. Maybe there’s a limit past which you start doing damage?

I would say so.

Like lots of guys I used to like to see how much weight I could move. After seeing too many injuries in others doing the same thing, I decided to not go for personal bests in various lifts. Sure I've lost muscle mass compared to where I once was, but hopefully I eased off early enough that I can reach old(er) age without needing various joint replacements. I also have time for other things besides living in a gym.

Exercise with moderate weights, eat healthy, and get some cardio exercise, seems to have good results.

Back