Comfortable Seats

It seems like most cars these days have nice seats but they aren't really comforable. Most have side bolstering designed to keep you in the seat better than years of land Yachts past, but I wouldnt call them comfortable.
Im talking about dads old recliner comfortable. These seats have no side bolstering, are flat but you sink into them nicely. Have these style of seats gone the way of the passenger pigeon?

Take the Lexus LS for example:

LS400:
116858d1199677070-ls400-95-00-front-leather-seat-covers-1e65_3.jpg

LS430:
hq720.jpg

LS460:
2018-lexus-ls-500-front-seats.jpg

LS500:

images

It seems like seats these days are just aiming to be more and more sporty. Historically, a sportier trim would give you some more bolstered seats but even on the luxury trim lines, we are seeing more seats that contour best to somebody with a 36" waistline.

What car has the most comfortable seats these days?

I've said the same thing about seats. My kids have now bought 3 Denali GMC products, all with seats hard as a hotel sofa. I also don't understand the fascination with black interiors. Maybe not a big deal up north but in the south if the car has black leather seats and you are wearing shorts you can't get in until the car has a chance to air out or the AC has run 5 minutes.

I've said the same thing about seats. My kids have now bought 3 Denali GMC products, all with seats hard as a hotel sofa. I also don't understand the fascination with black interiors. Maybe not a big deal up north but in the south if the car has black leather seats and you are wearing shorts you can't get in until the car has a chance to air out or the AC has run 5 minutes.

There's more choices than just black. Get south of the 35th parallel and you'll see how unpopular that black leather can be.

I had a 2024 Jeep Wagoneer rental, and the seats in it were awful. Maybe if you're 5 foot 6 and 135 pounds, they'd be fine.

Not what one would expect in a $72,000 vehicle.

I also prefer cloth seats for day-long drives. Leather doesn't have enough "give" to it. Leather seats don't conform to your body in the same way that cloth can and will.

Last edited:
We had a 2022 Acura MDX; base model the seats were fantastic…

As in: No-hotspots-take-a-6-hour-drive-and-not-be-tired comfortable.

Only thing that we would do different is get the ventilated seats.

Leather seats are equally uncomfortable up north in the winter :)
No leather seats for me, thank you.

It seems like most cars these days have nice seats but they aren't really comforable. Most have side bolstering designed to keep you in the seat better than years of land Yachts past, but I wouldnt call them comfortable.
Im talking about dads old recliner comfortable. These seats have no side bolstering, are flat but you sink into them nicely. Have these style of seats gone the way of the passenger pigeon?

Take the Lexus LS for example:

LS400:
116858d1199677070-ls400-95-00-front-leather-seat-covers-1e65_3.jpg

LS430:
hq720.jpg

LS460:
2018-lexus-ls-500-front-seats.jpg

LS500:

images

It seems like seats these days are just aiming to be more and more sporty. Historically, a sportier trim would give you some more bolstered seats but even on the luxury trim lines, we are seeing more seats that contour best to somebody with a 36" waistline.

What car has the most comfortable seats these days?
I drive the LS430 daily and I would not actually say the seats are a plus, more support would be nice. I always thought the pillowy feel was just a byproduct of the styling they were trying to achieve.

Seats imho are a great place where a car mfg can cut costs. From pics I can tell the Grand Wagoneer and Escalade are not great. It would seem the Germans take it more seriously

Back