AVIS 2019 Mustang GT rental review.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
After I was finished with work, I spent some time on the east coast to catch up with family and friends.

I ended up getting a 2019 Mustang GT with 39,000 miles on it.
Very comfortable, heated and cooled seats. Never felt tired driving it.
Android auto worked well.
Paddle shifters were nice.
Had a wonderful exhaust note.
10 speed would be good if it were a one owner car, in normal mode it was ok, in Sport mode it was much better.
Just hunted a bunch and shifted oddly sometimes. Sport mode with paddle shifters eliminated that.
It was less planted than I hoped it would be. Having driven a new Camaro and Challenger I felt them to be more sure
footed.
Brakes were excellent.
It moves out pretty good. I was pleased with how well it moved being a bone stock rental.
Ride was rough but to be expected as it is a pony car. I felt it to be an acceptable trade off.
I did not like placement of or how the HVAC controls worked. It was cumbersome to me.
I averaged a respectable 21.4 miles per gallon (hand calculated) in just over 800 miles of spirited driving.
Visibility was much better than the Challenger or Camaro.
I still like the Camaro better. It was more comfortable to me and just turns in better numbers. It felt way more nimble.
I feel like it would be easy to live with as daily driver and even though I don't do Ford, I would be just fine with one of these.
I did take a picture of this one.
Mustang GT.png

On a side note. Avis was pretty awesome with both of the rentals. Not one complaint.

I test drove a manual 5.0 around December of 2020. The clutch was horrible and the steering numb, but the engine was high revving, fun and sounds great. The MT82 kept me away but I almost bought one with a 10 speed. I held off and prices started skyrocketing soon after because I had doubts about going auto. I'm glad I didnt go auto.
I came out of a '19 miata. I drove nearly every sporty type car on the market and also a newer 911 which a relative owned (Mustang Ecoboost/GT, V6/SS Camaro, 86, Civic Si, 19' WRX). Camaro has its drawbacks in the form of visibility, but the seating position and feel is special. When I test drove the Camaro the seating position felt similar to past sports cars I owned. Their visibility was not much better. I don't daily drive the car, but if I did the 2SS package would help. Both cars sound great, but its a shame you have to spend upwards of 60k on a mustang to get a TREMEC. If I was going to do that, I'd get a manual ZL1. That factor alone kept me away. Seems like for 2024 they are jacking the prices even more.

Last edited:
When ever possible the Mustang GT made the best highway trip rental around.

kind of rare lately though. Mostly crummy cars in recent rentals.

The base 235 size tires are too small for the Mustang.
I agree with you the A/C controls are not user friendly.

These 3rd Gen 5.0 engines have high compression and need 93 octane to perform well. 10 speed auto trans is the best part of car when shifting at 7500 RPMs.

The base 235 size tires are too small for the Mustang.
I agree with you the A/C controls are not user friendly.

These 3rd Gen 5.0 engines have high compression and need 93 octane to perform well. 10 speed auto trans is the best part of car when shifting at 7500 RPMs.
I ran a few tanks of 93 through it. :)

Back