Moto X Impressions + Possibility of Leaving iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
iphone 5 is the world phone of choice. Can work on a long list of frequencies. Comes with unlocked sim slot.
Use a local sim or call over wifi.

It is only unlocked when purchased from Apple.

It is easy enough to unlock the Android phones (I've done a pile of them) and inexpensive.

We've used various phones (Blackberry, iPhone, Galaxy) all over the world and none is inherently better than another. They are all with Rogers and roam to the local carrier networks.

We've done the SIM swap on an unlocked phone in Australia.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
No itguy, you cannot connect your camera to your tablet and upload pics. That is very 2010. Nowadays, this happens wirelessly on Android and automatically and you do not have to lift a finger after the initial setup. And yes, they show up on your tablet, computer and phone and they are also in the cloud if you choose to activate any other random device.

You're missing the use case. I go on vacation with my DSLR, 1 memory card and my iPad. When the card gets full I connect to the iPad, import photos and they sync to iCloud on WiFi. They are then available on my phone, Mac or PC, and iPad. I can then share them with anyone I wish.

If that's "so 2010" then that's fine by me. It's an awesome functionality and has enabled me to jettison the laptop for vacations and also do basic editing and such on the iPad. Replace DSLR with any camera and you get the idea.

Pictures taken on the device get the automatic treatment.

Quote:
And my Nexus Androids get updated constantly.

Really? From what I remember some of the early Nexus devices were not getting updates. But they do look like neat devices.

I'll stick with the tried and true iOS Ecosystem. It works, works well, and is reliable.

I'm glad you are having good experiences with iOS. When I first left iOS, I was POed because of the iTunes security issues (credit card jacked several times), the inconsistent syncing after clearing cookies and having to reload apps, videos and photos, the random freezing while updating apps and then having to reboot to continue to updates, the app crashes, and the instability of iTunes on Windows. And while iOS updated more consistently than Android, it was never a smooth updating experience and I always lost music, videos, etc. So I was a bit of a crusader against Apple.

Now that time has passed, I try to look at this more practically. There is no perfect system and I think the number of entertainment options on iTunes is truly astounding (my daughter can get way more kids videos and apps from iTunes rather than Google Play). And the number of hardware/software versions of Android is a pain when I recommend a phone to friends or family. Plus not all Androids have inconsistent update experiences, as you've implied.

So I think people should choose or stick with what works for them and not get religious about it. I may even get an iPad mini for my daughter so she has access to iTunes.

Also, you are right about earlier Nexus phones. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus was a disaster because Verizon controlled it so it was not a true Nexus phone. But I think Google learned its lesson and my Google play purchased Nexus updates seemlessly and flawlessly. And even the apps and content are preserved after updates so you don't have to left a finger to fix anything.

Update:

If anyone is following this phone, Motorola released a software update that greatly improves the image processing of the phone's 10MP camera. Many reputable tech sites are saying this to be the most impressive over the air update they have ever seen.

You can look at some of the old shots compared to these new ones. The difference in quality is pretty darn impressive if you ask me.

10252547405_694fbc6304_b.jpg

10252532016_fc0099b820_b.jpg

10252527776_232824a49d_b.jpg

10252519845_e0b995f2c4_b.jpg

10252509956_2c8de41e19_b.jpg

10252500196_296b5f3f01_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back