USB Chargers ?

$19 expensive ????? They last at least a few years unlike even Anker .

One time I saw Belkin 2.1A power adapters for less than $2 each. I saw them available online at Fry's Electronics and they were supposedly in stock. I had to ask an associate to look it up and they were abled in the stockroom but they came in bags, where I got 5. They've been working great. I think I got some Anker USB-A adapter at $25 for a 3-pack. I've never purchased an Apple power adapter separately although once I just got one separately with credit card points.

These things are actually quite cheap to make but there can be a huge markup - especially with Apple. I've never bought an Apple one but have used what came in the box. iPhones no longer come with power adapters, but Macs and iPads still do.

Not usb c and too slow for me however great for overnight.

USB c Apple (20W) $19 charges my iPhone 14 pro to 80% in about 40-45 mins.
The problem with that is just like Tesla "Supercharging". Constant fast charging greatly reduces battery life. Be it phone, flashlight, or EV. In an emergency yes. But not a steady daily diet of it.

The problem with that is just like Tesla "Supercharging". Constant fast charging greatly reduces battery life. Be it phone, flashlight, or EV. In an emergency yes. But not a steady daily diet of it.
Apple recommends at there 20w usb c charger and their software charges well states you get 500 charge cycles with 80% life at end. All accurate. If it does not meet that spec they tend to forgo the $$69-99 charge typically to change battery.

Theoretically it makes a difference, but it's hard to say how much. They don't recommend changing while in a case because it traps heat, but they then sell cases that **well** trap heat. The standard power adapter that came with iPhones used to be the 5W for almost its entire run (until they stopped including power adapters with iPhones).

Mobile devices don't have anything close the maximum charging rate compared to capacity that we see with EVs. But then they don't have all that preconditioning or active thermal management. I don't know of anyone who deliberately charges slowly just to maximize battery longevity. It's easy and cheap enough to get a battery replacement service.

Apple recommends at there 20w usb c charger and their software charges well states you get 500 charge cycles with 80% life at end. All accurate. If it does not meet that spec they tend to forgo the $$69-99 charge typically to change battery.

I suppose they recommend that, but there are no guarantees about what the battery capacity will be. They have a design target (80% after 500 complete charge-discharge cycles). I've been there where I couldn't even pay for a battery replacement service since it wasn't under 80% and when was under 80% (and less than the rated number of cycles) I had to pay for it.

Apple used to have a policy for Macs, but when the design target was 80% battery capacity after 300 cycles and the battery was user replaceable with mostly retail replacement batteries. I had a battery fail (it was showing negative capacity) after warranty but before reaching the nominal cycles. I was offered a discounted "service replacement" ($99) for the battery that cost less than the retail price ($129 although some retailers had it cheaper like Amazon). But I would have needed to exchange the defective battery and the replacement only had a 90 day warranty. Retail replacements had a one year warranty. But they didn't have the replacement in stock and I ended up declining until later when the battery swelled (but still under 300 cycles). Then I went in and got the service replacement at a different Apple Store.

It may even need to be under 80% original published capacity in order to be eligible for a battery replacement where the customer pays for it. I haven't heard of any free battery replacement service unless it was under warranty or extended warranty (AppleCare+). It's highly unlikely to reach that during the one year warranty period but AppleCare+ extends that to 3 years. I think now it's also possible to extend AppleCare+ to a monthly plan before the original period expires.

But in any case, just having something like an iPhone battery reaching 79% after less than 500 cycles isn't going to mean anything more than being able to pay for a replacement. The performance target isn't guaranteed. I've had Apple devices where it was much worse but others where it was well above the curve. My iPhone 7 had the battery replaced in 2018 with that worldwide promotion. It's got something like 750 cycles and still says 87%.

Back