Lithium power bank started smoking. Do power banks age out?

High quality cells don't just smoke and burn after aging a bit. I have cells much older than that. Work fine, just maybe don't hold a strong charge as long.

You get what you pay for.
Now that I think about it, the glowing red hole in the pack could have been the electronics giving out. The glowing part looked flat under the hole so it could possibly be a metal contact and not the battery itself.

Maybe the charging circuit experienced a short or just failed because once the load was removed the flow appeared to sim for the moment I observed it.

I assume a failing battery would continue to burn and vent regardless of a load.

Don’t lithium batteries continue to burn in some kind of thermal runaway until there is no more battery left? Maybe the bad smell was just from the plastic.

High quality cells don't just smoke and burn after aging a bit. I have cells much older than that. Work fine, just maybe don't hold a strong charge as long.

You get what you pay for.
If paired with the right charging circuit, they shouldn't. But even high quality lithium polymer pouch style cells all have the same failure mechanism over time in which they undergo physical and chemical changes causing them to swell. Sometimes it could take many (eg. 10+) years, and you'd have to be irresponsibly continue to cycle them in such a state to risk a thermal event. Going from extremes like 0 to 100% cycling seems to stress them the most.

Other cell chemistries, like what they use in the 18650 batteries are much more robust in comparison. I have some 20 year old cells that still function fine, although at 30% the original capacity.

If paired with the right charging circuit, they shouldn't. But even high quality lithium polymer pouch style cells all have the same failure mechanism over time in which they undergo physical and chemical changes causing them to swell. Sometimes it could take many (eg. 10+) years, and you'd have to be irresponsibly continue to cycle them in such a state to risk a thermal event. Going from extremes like 0 to 100% cycling seems to stress them the most.

Other cell chemistries, like what they use in the 18650 batteries are much more robust in comparison. I have some 20 year old cells that still function fine, although at 30% the original capacity.
Yup, see this with phone and laptop batteries. Here's the one from my 2014 Macbook Pro:
IMG_5743.jpeg

Yup, see this with phone and laptop batteries. Here's the one from my 2014 Macbook Pro:

Yup, it's almost inevitable in a laptop environment. They're running hot for hours at a time, plugged in and left on full charge for years. Personally, I would like to see more manufacturers offer an option to limit the battery charge to 60-70% (or ideally even have it user adjustable) by default which would place ALOT less stress on batteries. Most of us use laptops plugged in anyways and don't really need the full 8-10 hour runtimes on a regular basis.

Yup, it's almost inevitable in a laptop environment. They're running hot for hours at a time, plugged in and left on full charge for years. Personally, I would like to see more manufacturers offer an option to limit the battery charge to 60-70% (or ideally even have it user adjustable) by default which would place ALOT less stress on batteries. Most of us use laptops plugged in anyways and don't really need the full 8-10 hour runtimes on a regular basis.
My new ProBook has a "battery keeper" mode enabled by default. It does not fully charge the battery, and lets it run down a bit intermittently. I remember Thinkpads doing this as well.

Back