Panasonic is still selling a timed AA/AAA battery charger

Not sold in the United States, but apparently in the EU. Even my older paired battery chargers from Panasonic or Sanyo have a detection and cutoff when "fully charged" rather than a timed system. Most likely these will result in overcharging, but I'm guessing it's not that bad at whatever low charge rate used. And they probably expect less than 100 of these charge cycles in a battery's lifetime.

If you mostly use your AA/AAA eneloop or eneloop pro batteries in low-drain devices that don't require frequent charging, BQ-CC51 is a solution with excellent cost performance. LEDs for each pair of slots light green while charging and switch off after a fixed 13-hour period, enough time for the inserted batteries to fully charge.​

I do have a bunch of Ikea LADDA 1900 and 750. Theirs labels say 190 mA for 16 hours or 95 mA for 16 hours as a "standard charge". I'm thinking that getting a timed charger meeting those requirements is pretty much impossible. Obiously the vast majority of those are going to be charged with "smart" chargers that terminate when considered "fully charged".

I would have thought that would have been Again & Again from Saft. That's what powered my various electronics including a (90s) Atari Lynx using NiCads.

Panasonic Hi-Tech 4 head Omnivision VHS 🤯

I have some Andis beard trimmers with a single AA Soldered inside of it, now a 12 year old eneloop.
I lost the wall wart charger, but found an adequate barrel plug, and now use a xl4015 voltage bucker to charge it.

Got to feed it about 2.38 v to get 180ma to flow.

When notice some warmth i disconnect and check battery voltage.
Cant seem to get more than 1.36v from this well aged cell, no matter how high I turn voltage or how long i apply it, so i shrug, and 2 months later repeat the process.

I have a Nitecore I4v2 which does loose nimh AA's but it has been acting a bit off on my 18650's, and since i cant easily measure voltage or amperage into a cell when using it, i use other methods, where i can.

I dont trust any automatic termination unless i can verify it regularly does so at full charge, or slightly below.

Just found a 29.4v power supply happily taking a 7s1p battery well past 29.4v. and now use same Xl 4015 bucker inline to limit it to 29.39v.
The green light on the power supply comes on, but is still trying to feeding 500ma into an already fully charged battery.

So glad checked actual current flow and termination voltage.

Every time I think about changing over to rechargeables I think "okay, I can learn this stuff and I know they work better and reduce waste. But the rest of my family is likely to just throw out the rechargeables." And I buy another 48 alkaline AA.

Is there a solution to this dilemma? Please assume family is currently unwilling to learn but somewhat interested in "saving the planet".

Every time I think about changing over to rechargeables I think "okay, I can learn this stuff and I know they work better and reduce waste. But the rest of my family is likely to just throw out the rechargeables." And I buy another 48 alkaline AA.

Is there a solution to this dilemma? Please assume family is currently unwilling to learn but somewhat interested in "saving the planet".

My big thing is just saving devices, where I’ve seen alkalines destroy them when they leaked. I’d let them know the difference and impress on them how they look and feel.

I also prefer to have a fully charged battery or set of batteries in flashlights that I use to get around or find things. Beats trying to figure out how much charge is left in single use batteries.

I use ladda batteries almost exclusively.
I bought 4 slot MiBoxer charger that allows selecting charging current. It stops charging when done.

Back