NiZn (nickel zinc) AA/AAA battery charger?

^ I appreciate the info, but still, the proof in battery vs tech is what a more modern camera can achieve, even if not a current, high expense cam. Anything major brand, runs circles around any 2 x NiMH. This is just fact, dismiss or argue all you like but it is what it is. Only some crappy retro tech camera with excessive power consumption and poor desigh, runs off 2x AA cells. It was idiotic of any cam manufacturer to design for 2 x cells in the first place, even if alkaline or some other >1.2V/cell chemistry.

Do whatever you want, while I laugh at it all, achieving over 300 pics from my decade old camera, if I pull it out instead of using my phone.

#learning disability : this is not directed at anyone in particular, but this whole topic is madness

I'm not after maximum pics, shortest flash recharge time, etc. I'm after a usable number of pictures in a cheap camera intended for a 10 year old. I think your expectations are way higher than my own and that's okay.

In the end I used this dilemma as an excuse to purchase a SkyRC MC3000 charger that I've been wanting for a long time, which supports Ni-Zn batteries (and lets you customize charging profiles to literally no end). Bought a 4 pack of Ni-Zn and I'm going to see how it works out. If it's useless technology I'll be the first to admit I wasted $10. I've blown money on worse things.

I just installed a freshly charged set. I suspect it will work just fine, but I'm most curious about cell longevity / recharge cycles.

Look into Li-Ion 1.5V cells. They maintain constant 1.5V output from beginning to end. They're basically 3.7V Li-Ion cells with circuitry to down convert to 1.5V. Great for applications that require it.

I've got a bunch of these, although they were a lot cheaper at the time I bought them:

$35 can buy you a lot of eneloop AA though. You can even buy 1 set of 4 right now, use them till they aged out in 10 years, then buy another set and repeat for another 10 years, and still be cheaper than Li-Ion regardless of how durable for 20 years.

I've actually got an old(er) pocket sized Nikkon that I like to use in spots where I'd rather not take the risk of losing my phone, has the same problem, won't work below a certain voltage so it gives the impression of chewing through batteries. In my case, I settled for a single 14500 cell and a dummy cell. Yes, starting voltage is much higher, but the camera doesn't seem to care. Running the LiON down to 2.8v nets me many more pictures than a pair of fresh alkaline AAs. Charges in the same equipment I use for my 18650's.

$35 can buy you a lot of eneloop AA though.
Yes, that is why I mentioned earlier that at their current price, these Tenavolts are not a good deal at all. They were a fraction of this price back when I bought them.

Also, according to the OP, eneloop/NiMH does not work well in his application because voltage is too low. So yes, the OP can buy $35 worth of eneloops, but it won't help him.

I've actually got an old(er) pocket sized Nikkon that I like to use in spots where I'd rather not take the risk of losing my phone, has the same problem, won't work below a certain voltage so it gives the impression of chewing through batteries. In my case, I settled for a single 14500 cell and a dummy cell. Yes, starting voltage is much higher, but the camera doesn't seem to care. Running the LiON down to 2.8v nets me many more pictures than a pair of fresh alkaline AAs. Charges in the same equipment I use for my 18650's.
Where did you get the dummy cells, or did you make them on your own?

I briefly considered doing exactly what you did, but I was worried the capacity of a single 14500 cell (mine are 700mah) would be limiting.

Where did you get the dummy cells, or did you make them on your own?

I briefly considered doing exactly what you did, but I was worried the capacity of a single 14500 cell (mine are 700mah) would be limiting.
Somewhere on Ebay. It has been a while since I got them, can't remember offhand what I searched.

Looks like 'AA Dummy Battery" will get you there.

Back