MOS2 and the Fram Ultra filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a Fram Ultra filter for my 2007 Nissan Quest. I also ordered a 5 liter jug of Liqui Moly 5W-30 (2039 Longtime High Tech motor oil) oil and a can of their MOS2 additive. I have been reading about the efficiency of the Fram Ultra and I am wondering if it will filter out the moly in the MOS2. Am I worrying about nothing or will there be an issue?

If the additive is not soluble at that filtration level, then the engine would see it as grit.

So the FRAM Ultra would be doing you a favor filtering it out.

I don't believe you will have any issues utilizing the Fram Ultra and MoS2 in conjunction with one another. Although the Fram Ultra is very efficient (99% @ >20 microns) according to Liqui Moly's technical data sheet they state that the average particle size of their MoS2 oil additive is
Liqui Moly MoS2 Techical Data Sheet

Originally Posted By: Analyzer
I don't believe you will have any issues utilizing the Fram Ultra and MoS2 in conjunction with one another. Although the Fram Ultra is very efficient (99% @ >20 microns) according to Liqui Moly's technical data sheet they state that the average particle size of their MoS2 oil additive is
Liqui Moly MoS2 Techical Data Sheet

Per the tech sheet, a majority of the particles are less than 0.3 microns, so 1.5% the size of a 20 micron particle. Even a Fram Ultra is not going to catch any considerable number of 0.3 micron particles, even over a 15k mile OCI.

Thanks for catching that! I posted via my smart phone and didn't notice the decimal place in the <.3 micron size rating which of course would be completely insignificant as far as capture rate. A rating of 3 microns would yield 15% of a 20 micron particle hence the potential for *some* possibility of capture over time, but again, nothing significant.

^I know this ^ but I am still reluctant to use MoS2 in conjunction with a Tough Guard. I need to get over it, it's in my head!

Fram ultras are great filters but I think they are about 95-99% at 20 microns (seen variable filtration %). That said its probably lower at first. Which is alright since fresh oil will be a lot cleaner but like anything in life the longer it filters the better it filters.

Long story short no.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Because of your feedback and information I feel good about the purchases and am hoping the combination of the Fram Ultra, LM oil and the MOS2 will be a winning combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back