Fram Ultra filter material failure

I am not pressing hard on the pleats in the picture. They move freely and are completely disconnected top and bottom. The cage is part of the cartridge cap on this car.
Here’s a five second vid of me moving the pleats.

I’ll get some comparison shots to the other frams I have in my oil change tray and to the other models I’ve ran.
I’ll see about contacting Fram about the failure and trying to find a build date.
I’ve found that WIX XP filters are too tall for this application, so much so that you can’t even seat the cap all the way.

Wow, that's terrible. I'd be contacting FRAM. I used Fram almost primarily on my SUV for about 15 years without issues. It's got over 200k miles on it. I now use M1 or OEM filters but for probably 150k of my 200k miles I used Fram with success.

That media almost looks like the purolator boss media with the nylon back.

Good thing this problem isn't an issue with Fram's canister filters.

I had a "78" 360 Lean Burn but it was a 2bbl. I believe. Nice car.
I think the 318 was less problematic from what I hear. But I had no issues.
Mine had 165000 when I traded it is. The 318 with a carter 2 bbl was a good engine... No issues and it had the lock up torque converter...very simple to work on back then too...

I would assumed they are designed to be "slighlty too tall" How else would you get a seal?
If you expect sliding across a gasketing face on installation - you should lightly oil it.
I've compared the length (height) of several cartridge filters for the Camry. They were not all the same length, therefore, they could not all fit properly. There is a solution however, something that several filters have: a big, fat gasket on the ends.

PTR4300080_1.jpg

Because they all live in Canada.

The simple reason may be because today everyone is scared to say anything good. People fear saying positive things about the USA and other western countries for fear of reprisals and attacks. Easier to speak negative because that is what some people think everyone wants to hear.
Hope a comment about remembering good products 50 + years ago is not deemed "political" which it is not.
I fully understand and support the moderators when they decide to shut down threads for various reasons. Maybe it won't have to be. :unsure:

I won’t use a “capped” filter on a Toyota cartridge application - only OE Denso or the Chinese/Korean clones of them.
Why not use a capped filter on a Toyota cartridge application? As you may know, Toyota sells the TRD filter, which appears to be capped.

The simple reason may be because today everyone is scared to say anything good. People fear saying positive things about the USA and other western countries for fear of reprisals and attacks. Easier to speak negative because that is what some people think everyone wants to hear.
Hope a comment about remembering good products 50 + years ago is not deemed "political" which it is not.
I fully understand and support the moderators when they decide to shut down threads for various reasons. Maybe it won't have to be. :unsure:
I can go to China now and have my own filters made and have them stamped made in any country I want them
to. Not saying this is the case here. But I know this very well. One slick company I know had a whole item with many parts
all made in China but the USA company added one small very visible part on the item and it was proudly stamped Made in the USA which that part was but that was a complete fraud. Assembled in the USA is another slick trick. This is our world today.

I can go to China now and have my own filters made and have them stamped made in any country I want them
to. Not saying this is the case here. But I know this very well. One slick company I know had a whole item with many parts
all made in China but the USA company added one small very visible part on the item and it was proudly stamped Made in the USA which that part was but that was a complete fraud. Assembled in the USA is another slick trick. This is our world today.
You are so right. It goes on all over and been going on. I worked at a pipe & fabrication company in the 1970s where we would cut and thread pipe plus add fittings to ship as kits to job sites for installation. ALL of our pipe had "Made In Japan" stamps across them. I asked the shop foreman one day "why must we grind off those "Made In Japan" stamps? His answer was.... "because the orders call for Domestic Made Pipe only!":rolleyes:

I am not pressing hard on the pleats in the picture. They move freely and are completely disconnected top and bottom. The cage is part of the cartridge cap on this car.
Here’s a five second vid of me moving the pleats.

I’ll get some comparison shots to the other frams I have in my oil change tray and to the other models I’ve ran.
I’ll see about contacting Fram about the failure and trying to find a build date.
I’ve found that WIX XP filters are too tall for this application, so much so that you can’t even seat the cap all the way.

Thanks for taking the time to undo the seeds of doubt that were cast. BTW Jay from Fram used to say they can’t make the Ultra stick well to a plain end cap. Jay was let go, and new people were hired by Trico, as the story has been told.

How much air gap space is there between the center cage and the filter pleats when the filter is installed? If there is quite a bit, then the cage in the cap wouldn't be giving much support to the pleats and allowing them to flex inward maybe too much.

Back