Fram Ultra filter material failure

Sad. "Made In" means pretty much nothing these days when it comes to the quality of just about anything.

About 50 years ago , anything you laid hands on with "Made In America" was of a quality you could see and feel
was second to none. Today?
Come on man , Detroit has put out crap since the beginning .
During the big war they sure had a big part of our victory though .

Heck yeah! The likes of the venerable Chevy Vega, AMC Gremlin, and Ford Pinto were second to none.
Too many models , brands , engines etc . Saturn was going to change the way cars are made . LoL . Corinthian leather , those animals sure had thin skin .

Pulled my Fram ultra filter from my 2005 Mazda 6 2.3 liter today. The filter material has completely detached from the plastic frame. This is 8000ish miles running Mobil 1 0w40 with some Castol 0w20 top off. Not cool Fram. I did add Mos2 about 3000 miles in because I was curious about how it would affect the sound of the engine mostly.

View attachment 85301
Did you look it over before you installed it? I agree with others that it looks like it is missing the cage. Hopefully there aren't pieces of the cage somewhere in your engine.

I've torn several Ultras apart and they were held together stronger than any others I've done. It makes me wonder if that one got through with no glue or fastening at all to the plastic. Wow! Looks like BAD QC from the new factory!

Ever since i pulled a factory installed FORD champ filter and it had a lot of oil trapped between the canister that "squirted out" in high volume when i was cutting it for a c&p I posted here.
I have suspected bad chemistry in the sump varnishing the media. I dug around, If you read ILSAC and API GF-5 spec you will see this mentioned in the notes - more at engine running E85 flexfuel that would see a greater % of ethanol in the sump.
I had a well made $14.00 FILTECH honda racing filter tear two pleats at the base endcap across a winter OCI run on a Nissan QR25DE.
I am guessing there may be an issue with some oils and engines running E10 fuel. Again, I urge all to read the GF-5 spec and notes. It in there somewhere on the Lubrizol page years ago when the spec was being formed. I wish I did a screen shot

The OP should NOT have run the moly and I cautioned against it. I killed a good running Honda 1.5L in my relatively new honda fit sport with that junk that had been propped up around these pages here about 7-10 years ago.
Lubirmoly MoS2 - avoid it like the plague on pressure lubed engines. Splash ODPE should be fine

I've seen this happen before on Toyota Cartridges, I think the problem was that the cartridges are slightly too tall and get crushed.
You "think"? Are you just speculating or have you made any measurements and comparisons?

You "think"? Are you just speculating or have you made any measurements and comparisons?
I would assumed they are designed to be "slighlty too tall" How else would you get a seal?
If you expect sliding across a gasketing face on installation - you should lightly oil it.

Why do the members here turn everything into a bash the USA thread ?
Oddly enough, I have had 3 fit/finish or defect issues with Made in USA parts within the last 12 months. Sample size is over 100 items.

0 with Made in China, Indian, Japan or Taiwan parts.

The oil grade would have nothing to do with this failure.
Possibly. But I guaranteed that if I put a thick oil in my ford and MoS2 and got onto the highway 1 mile from my house with the temperature at 3 degrees F and floored the car for 7 seconds to merge, the filter pleats would be screaming for mercy.
We know better, but many others may not know that is a bad practice.

Back