Fram Ultra vs Mobil 1 Filter

Just changed my Fram Ultra filter I ran 10,000 miles in my 2005 Avalon. I did two oil changes but left filter in for second change.
Thought I would post side by side of used Fram and new Mobil 1.

Attachments

• IMG_20211120_115414_copy_1024x1364__01.jpg
    IMG_20211120_115414_copy_1024x1364__01.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_20211120_115421_copy_1024x1364__01.jpg
    IMG_20211120_115421_copy_1024x1364__01.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_20211120_115426_copy_1024x1364__01.jpg
    IMG_20211120_115426_copy_1024x1364__01.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_20211120_115510_copy_1024x1364__01.jpg
    IMG_20211120_115510_copy_1024x1364__01.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 471
Which Filter will let your engine out last your ownership of the vehicle?

Just changed my Fram Ultra filter I ran 10,000 miles in my 2005 Avalon. I did two oil changes but left filter in for second change.
Thought I would post side by side of used Fram and new Mobil 1.
How does one compare a new filter from one company vs a used filter from another?

Are you really trying to same money on oil filter by leaving it in for two oil changes?

How does one compare a new filter from one company vs a used filter from another?

Are you really trying to same money on oil filter by leaving it in for two oil changes?
I just showed them since I had them. I thought the difference in pleat amount was interesting. Plus the metal cap vs plastic and the rubber end gaskets.
Yes, I ran my first double oci reusing the oil filter. Not only a money saver but a time and mess saver.
I may or may not do it again.

I just showed them since I had them. I thought the difference in pleat amount was interesting. Plus the metal cap vs plastic and the rubber end gaskets.
Yes, I ran my first double oci reusing the oil filter. Not only a money saver but a time and mess saver.
I may or may not do it again.
Interesting to see modern metal endcaps on a cartridge oil filter. I bet the Ultra has better flow through those wide open synthetic media pleats than the M1’s tiny holes! Not that it likely matters anyway.

Sometimes it is not about saving money, it is about using something for it's full potential (and at 10,000 miles, it can be argued a Fram Ultra still has a lot of life left in it), and/or convenience factor (some filters are much harder to change than others).

I bet the Ultra has better flow through those wide open synthetic media pleats than the M1’s tiny holes! Not that it likely matters anyway.
Plenty of holes in the M1 center tube. There might be a very slight increase in delta-p on the M1 center tube compared to the Ultra, but the PD oil pump doesn't care.

I like fram ultra oil filters, I have the older metal backed one and my oil is looking great, with superior filtration I believe in, fram is the way to go, second would be wix, though the fram ultra much cheaper and better with its synthetic media.

I will still use fram ultras with their double pleats or something of that matter, and even improving with filtration numbers.

The M1 filter no longer is that style made by Champ Labs. The new one is just an element, similar to the OE Toyota/Denso style.

I like the Champ labs filters with the seals/gaskets on each end like that. Gives me confidence that it will seal properly instead of the pressure/friction fit of the Fram Ultra.

... I like the Champ labs filters with the seals/gaskets on each end like that. Gives me confidence that it will seal properly instead of the pressure/friction fit of the Fram Ultra.
You're alluding to a neglected potential problem of cartridges that have rigid plastic end caps, including but not limited to Fram models. If the relevant surface of the end caps aren't perfectly flat (assuming the mating surfaces of the filter housing are flat) and accurately aligned, oil will bypass around the end cap.

I'm still waiting for someone to prove with an official study that dirtier oil makes an engine wear the same or less and stay healthier longer than cleaner oil. 😄
No one is going to try to do that. It’s not common sense. Dirtier is the main misrepresented word, is it really dirtier in real use? How much? Still waiting for particle count tests that show which full flow is actually best under real world conditions. We already have the Frantz test well established as something definite. Some pc tests have been posted, nothing really shows anything outstanding yet. Which is why the Frantz was invented in the first place way back when.

No one is going to try to do that. It’s not common sense. Dirtier is the main misrepresented word, is it really dirtier in real use? How much? Still waiting for particle count tests that show which full flow is actually best under real world conditions. We already have the Frantz test well established as something definite. Some pc tests have been posted, nothing really shows anything outstanding yet. Which is why the Frantz was invented in the first place way back when.
There is virtually no such thing as a "real world" test. Way too many variables to control and the results usually come out as being statistically invalid. Have you ever worked in a testing environment where obtaining valid results is important?

That phrase is generally thrown around by individuals who don't know what it means, and do not understand what is involved in generating data that is valid. It sounds good to the uninformed but that's as far as it goes.

Yeah, nobody is going to do that because they will never find a study that doesn't say that cleaner oil results in less engine wear.

You've seen the PC data (under many of your usernames for the last 10 years) from UOAs posted on BITOG. When that real world PC data is plotted it clearly shows that a filter rated at 99% @ 20u shows a much cleaner oil PC than data from a filter rated at 99% @ 40 or 50% @ 20u.

Also, many of the studies done on oil cleanliness vs engine wear (under more controlled conditions) also show plots of different efficiency filters used in the real world testing, and that the PC is better with the more efficient oil filters. Don't know why you never believe the data or studies on the subject matter.

Last edited:
Yeah, nobody is going to do that because they will never find a study that doesn't say that cleaner oil results in less engine wear.

You've seen the PC data (under many of your usernames for the last 10 years) from UOAs posted on BITOG. When that real world PC data is plotted it clearly shows that a filter rated at 99% @ 20u shows a much cleaner oil PC than data from a filter rated at 99% @ 40 or 50% @ 20u.

Also, many of the studies done on oil cleanliness vs engine wear (under more controlled conditions) also show plots of different efficiency filters used in the real world testing, and that the PC is better with the more efficient oil filters. Don't know why you never believe the data or studies on the subject matter.
Does this include the no name filter used on the same car that beat the Fram Ultra? Or is that one covered with excuses already?I know it is, and it’s Blackstone musta made a mistake. Is there another newer excuse the result is not good?? 😆
Its pretty funny actually. Hooray for your niche. 😄

Last edited:
Back