Picture of two cartridge filters for 3.6 after 8k miles.

This is a side by side of two used filters from my 2018 Ram 1500. Both run about 8K miles. The one with the wavy pleats is a Fram ultra synthetic and the other a mopar. Both made in Korea. Should I be worried about that Fram? this is the first time the filter has come out wavy like that. I've used Mopar, Mobil 1 and this Fram ultra a couple times, but never noticed this.

275844556_1136620890421005_570464265906621418_n.jpg

I wouldn't worry. I've had 6 3.6 engines and some oil filters have come out like that. Even 2 Mopar MO-349's. That being said I just use the Mopar MO-349's now. I change at no more than 3K miles so these work for me. 99% of my driving is short trips of 5 miles or less.

i felt like the fram ultra was every so slightly longer than mopar in my jeep 3.2 It also came out wavy

This is a common problem with many aftermarket cartridge filters, either poorly designed or poorly manufactured. They often are longer than OE and cause problems like this. :cautious:

Simply being made in Korea is not the problem here.

I think Hengst is the OE supplier :unsure:

Otherwise, the best cartridge for the Pentastar seems to be the Wix XP/Napa Platinum. It has a wire mesh backing, which should be stronger than the Ultra's plastic.

Maserati also uses a version of the Pentastar in their cars since Fiat and Chrysler have been under the same umbrella (FCA and now Stellantis). Unfortunately, Maserati's cartridge doesn't seem to fir the American-branded Pentastars. Too bad, because if it did, that filter is supplied by Purflux, and there is even a Chinese knockoff of that Purflux. It uses those (intentional) wavy chevron pleats, which should provide some resistance to buckling. Example here

Thank you for the replies. I usually buy my filters at walmart. The M1 seems (via eye examination) the best built, but not always available. Priced about the same as Mopar so I grab it when available. I'll check out that Wix/Napa.

I've used both along with the Mobil 1 filter for my 3.6L Rubicon. I've seen the same thing happen with all three. Having said that I use the Fram Ultra, imo from what I've read it offers the best filtration of the three. Does it really matter? It did to me.

I've used the MO-349 for the last several changes in the wife's 2014 T&C w/ the 3.6L. I find they look better than any other filter I have tried, not sure what but they do... 🤷‍♂️

Another plus is they are available at my local Walmart or F&F when I get my oil.

just my $0.02

The element would come out slightly twisted like that on some used filters out of my 2013 and 2017 pentastars as well. I don't recall which anymore. They'd go in looking fine, didn't feel like they were binding/twisting upon install, etc.

Main thing is you being the only one to touch that darn oil filter housing so it lasts as long as possible.

The wave doesn't hurt anything/function. This cartridge application is a long one, some wave not all that surprising.

That said, the Mopar cartridge, appearance-wise, looks excellent @8k miles.

the Eao is a good choice. It's like Wix XP/Napa Platinum with the metal wire mesh. Please post a pic at the end of the OCI :D
Don't think that the WIX XP/NAPA Platinum use a metal wire mesh ... thought it was more like nylon, like used in the Purolator Boss.

Last edited:
Don't think that the WIX XP/NAPA Platinum use a metal wire mesh ... thought it was more like nylon, like used in the Purolator Boss.

Wix XP date code is 040721
possibly consolidated with Purolator Boss :(

Anyway, the XP cartridge the OP would be using does seem to have metal backing, according to Amazon reviews on the WL10010XP. However, they could still be subject to Purolator cheapening at any time :cautious:

Wix XP date code is 040721
possibly consolidated with Purolator Boss :(

Anyway, the XP cartridge the OP would be using does seem to have metal backing, according to Amazon reviews on the WL10010XP. However, they could still be subject to Purolator cheapening at any time :cautious:
Yep ... looks to be Mann+Hummel making changes. Their cartridge filters might see the same fate as time goes on.

I've used the MO-349 for the last several changes in the wife's 2014 T&C w/ the 3.6L. I find they look better than any other filter I have tried, not sure what but they do... 🤷‍♂️

Another plus is they are available at my local Walmart or F&F when I get my oil.

just my $0.02
The do seem beefier, at least by first impression.

Back