Morel Mushrooms

Any of you southern state folks finding them? A little early here in SW Iowa, but temps keep rising. Normally seems around Mother's Day here, plus or minus a week. I'm in too bad of shape anymore to go hunting.

Been probably 5 years since I have eaten morels. Might have to buck up and pay the $40 per LB this year.

The morel of the story is I can go legally mushroom hunting in only two places in the Bay Area. The closer place allows collecting two gallons plus one mushroom per person per day, the farther place allows taking 3 pounds per person per day. I prefer the king bolete for stews and meat dishes and chanterelle with egg dishes. Morels are very good, too. All mushrooms can be sliced and dried or dried and ground into powder and kept for use for many years later if properly kept. Of the cultivated mushrooms I like hen of the woods, king oyster, and beech mushrooms best. The wild cousin of cremini, the Agaricus campestris or champignon or field mushroom, is decent but some unfortunate people confuse the death cap mushroom with it. No worries - it's a mistake usually only made once.

Last edited:
The morel of the story is I can go legally mushroom hunting in only two places in the Bay Area. The closer place allows collecting two gallons plus one mushroom per person per day, the farther place allows taking 3 pounds per person per day. I prefer the king bolete for stews and meat dishes and chanterelle with egg dishes. Morels are very good, too. All mushrooms can be sliced and dried or dried and ground into powder and kept for use for many years later if properly kept. Of the cultivated mushrooms I like hen of the woods, king oyster, and beech mushrooms best. The wild cousin of cremini, the Agaricus campestris or champignon, is decent but some unfortunate people confuse the death cap mushroom with it. No worries - it's a mistake usually only made once.
A limit on mushrooms? First I have heard of that. My best year was in the mid 1980's. Went by myself riding a small motorcycle along the MO river. Fill my bag and they were still thick. Pulled off the shirt, tied sleeves and fill that up. Went home, grabbed wife and kids to help pick more. Ended up with six 5 gallon bucket filled as I recall.

I normally soak them in water to get out the bugs after slicing them in half. Do an egg wash, bread them and fry in butter.

Reactions: GON
A limit on mushrooms? First I have heard of that.
Most federal parks, state parks, and county parks don't allow foraging or taking anything. Foraging is usually allowed in National Forests and on public land but make sure it's public land. You may need a permit. There are usually limits on quantity. As for private land, good luck unless you know the owner.

A good rule of thumb here is the chances of finding some are when the lilacs are blooming. We are aways away on that because we just haven't had the warm weather yet. They usually pop out after a small rain, warmer weather and the humidity is higher.

dad used to pick stumpies, what he called them, but being a picky sugar-holic in my younger days i would not even taste them + bulsh aka wild asparagus another seasonal thing. as i aged + got to be a smarter-healthier eater i consume mushrooms among other healthier foods + shun too many carbs + am healthier 75 YO next month. reading notes the many species as well as their various nutritional values. today few even eat mushrooms let alone pick them + i have been buying baby bellas + will try other varieties in my egg combos i eat almost daily, mushrooms + onions in the cut up bacon + grease which of course stays in add 2 scrambled eggs + top with cheese, a satisfying + filling first meal at just after noon + only a lite bite at 7 pm because i am NOT very hungry but want to take my nutritionals as FAT is required to absorb A-retinol real vitamin A D-3-E+ K, feel great + my blood tests verify the benefits, eat BETTER feel BETTER, happy + HEALTHY EASTER to ALL!!!

Back