More M1 changes

I've kind of decided on 6 month oil changes on all my vehicles except the work truck. The 84 cutlass and 83 Caprice don't get as many miles these days as my commute to work is like 5 miles round trip. I do go on longer drives at least every couple weeks with all 3.

I left the Mobil 1 0w40 in the Caprice from November to May which was about 3200 miles. It was just starting to darken up towards the end, but still looked decent. Lots of extremely cold starts and short trips so I didn't want to go beyond 7 months.

I have Mobil 1 HM 5w30 in the Cutlass. I put it in before storing it for winter in October. And I've been driving it since early April. I've been planning to change it, but not in a rush since it's been less than 2k miles so far.

Every 6 months is easy to remember, but use and mileage is a factor also. A lot less extreme cold starts with my summer car, so the oil that was in it all winter for storage could probably go a full year but I'd rather not push it that far, since I'm 36 and driving this car as long as I live.

Originally Posted by Gene K
I've decided, I don't really know what I don't know.

F150 3.5EB - 420,000 mi with 6-7,000 mi OCI of whatever is on sale - Original Turbos & Timing Set.

F150 2.7EB - 370,000 mi with 8,000-10,000 mi OCI of Motorcraft SB.- Original Turbos & Timing Set.

F150 5.0V8 GDI 8.5 qt Oil Capacity - 27,000 mi with 5,000 mi OCI with Castrol Magnatec - Timing Set Failure.
What's notable here is Gene K's willingness to forgo confirmation bias or to place too much emphasis on anecdotal experiences.

But it sure doesn't make you feel any better....

Back