Mom Cataract surgery yesterday severe pain

My mom had her first eye done, AM post op good but she started having continuous severe pain around 5pm, OTC pain killers do nothing, drops do nothing.

Then she called and got someone at the eye surgeon just after hours that wanted her to call early tomorrow but had minimal suggestions.

She has mild glaucoma and the stints could not go in, ducts were plugged so no location to place.

No apparent infection.

Not sure if she should be drug in off hours or have a hellish night and call the next day.

Not sure if anyone has gone through this before, they conviently leave out 1 out of 10 get severe crippling eye pain after surgery.

Have had both done and no pain from the surgery but they scratched my cornea removing the drape from my eye. I was given 3 kinds of drops…a steroid, an NSAID, and an antibiotic. Had to use them several times a day for a month.
Does your mom have 3 kinds of drops to use? Maybe they scratched her cornea. That is very painful.

they conviently leave out 1 out of 10 get severe crippling eye pain after surgery.
Just like my sister having to endure "cooked eye syndrome" after her laser surgery. Hot compresses, sometimes 4X per day, forever.

It's sad that a post op condition has to be shunted off to an ER but that might be her only route.

Big city or smaller town?

She needs to be seen by a physician immediately. I had severe pain after my operation that was instantly resolved by eyedrops. Not comparing situations, but very surprised that the provider did not get you in front of a caregiver immediately. Complications happen.

Not a very impressive response from the eye surgeon, or their office. EVERY doctor I dealt with while being an around-the-clock caregiver for my parents, had after-hours answering service where I could talk to the doctor, or one of their colleagues. I always was able to get good advice or action. Even on holidays such as the 4th of July.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution for your mom.

I had no pain after the cataract surgery. The drops are a pain though. Hope she got help, because something is wrong.

Not a very impressive response from the eye surgeon, or their office. EVERY doctor I dealt with while being an around-the-clock caregiver for my parents, had after-hours answering service where I could talk to the doctor, or one of their colleagues. I always was able to get good advice or action. Even on holidays such as the 4th of July.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution for your mom.
Heck, I'm a kid's dentist and we cover our call 24/7/365 - there is always someone on call. Things happen after hours and while not always fun it's part of the gig.

Mild allergy to the combination drops and damage to the cornea from surgery.

All she can do is load up on tons of artificial tears and take ibuprofen + Tylenol together. But needs to continue with the post op drops that feel like burning. They told her the separate drops don’t have the preservative and cause less irritation but will still feel like fire.

Thankfully her eye has gone from a 10 to a 6 on the pain scale and they have her take a liquid tear before the irritating balloon surgery drops.

Not much you can do but suffer.

Back