Had to leave our little guy at the vet's

Our little guy (Max) was in pain last night, unable to lay down. He paced most of the night. The vet came in an hour early this morning, after I described symptoms to her. X rays showed no intestinal issues. Blood work however, showed 'very high' liver enzymes, indicating possible 'ingestion of a chemical'.
He's on an IV now, and a couple of drugs for his liver. It was upsetting to have to leave him there, but I have high confidence in our vet (she has had her practice for nearly 40 years, and is highly regarded in our community).
I have no idea what he could have eaten, or when. He tries to nibble on grass sometimes when were walking, but I don't let him. I do let him stop and sniff stuff, after all, dogs live by their noses. I don't use weed killer or pesticides in our yard because we have a dog, and don't keep any chemicals lying around. I wish I knew what he got into, so that I could make sure it didn't happen again.

View attachment 97971
So, sorry. Max looks like a good boy. Hope he's well, soon.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for your kind thoughts, concern and encouragement. Max is home! We got home about 1/2 hour ago. He's a bit lethargic and tired, but very happy. Poor little guy's shaved stomach looks like a pin cushion, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Have two different pills to give him for the next few weeks, and a rice with chicken or ground pork diet for the next few days. We bring him back on Monday for blood work, and again in a month, to make sure his liver is improving like it should.
It's bothering me that I have no idea what he ingested, my wife and I will be keeping a close eye on him during our walks. It could have been a pill dropped on the floor at home that he picked up or, who knows. Extra vigilance now.
The vet bill was quite reasonable we thought. Overnight stay and IV for 1.5 days, blood work 4 times, two x rays and two ultrasounds for less than the four tires on our Honda, to put it in car terms.

Thanks again guys.

View attachment 98130
He just ate a bowl of his rice and pork special diet, feeling pretty content.
Great news!!!

Back