Had to leave our little guy at the vet's

Our little guy (Max) was in pain last night, unable to lay down. He paced most of the night. The vet came in an hour early this morning, after I described symptoms to her. X rays showed no intestinal issues. Blood work however, showed 'very high' liver enzymes, indicating possible 'ingestion of a chemical'.
He's on an IV now, and a couple of drugs for his liver. It was upsetting to have to leave him there, but I have high confidence in our vet (she has had her practice for nearly 40 years, and is highly regarded in our community).
I have no idea what he could have eaten, or when. He tries to nibble on grass sometimes when were walking, but I don't let him. I do let him stop and sniff stuff, after all, dogs live by their noses. I don't use weed killer or pesticides in our yard because we have a dog, and don't keep any chemicals lying around. I wish I knew what he got into, so that I could make sure it didn't happen again.

tempImageAVOHX6.jpg

Just had my dog have to go the emergency vet last month and it ended up being a twisted stomach. She was acting really weird and wouldn't lay down but I couldn't tell what was wrong with her. Had to leave her overnight and it was horrible but fortunately there was no major issues during the surgery and she is doing just fine now. Here's to hoping that he recovers fast. The fact that they can't tell us what is wrong makes it hard to know what to do sometime but its a good thing you got him in quickly.

Your lucky to have a vet like that. The younger ones don't want to work full time and want to leave at 5. In every metro area, there is a shortage of vets that will work. The vet schools are cranking them out but they don't want to work. They were admitted primarily on grades and when they realize that there are a lot of unpleasantness with being a vet they bail. There's death, euthanasia and hard work.
It sounds like you are in good hands with your vet. She sounds "old school" which is good.

The dog chooses their owner, not the other way around.
I adopted my current rotty lab mix from the shelter only because he reminded me of my childhood dog.. He was an absolute disaster with his behavior, nipping and jumping on the workers constantly, they warned me so many times that he's horrible and I was being persuaded actively not to adopt him fearing he'd be back in two days. I was separated waiting for a divorce and was broken. That was a year ago, and today he's a 120# baby that has none of his old behaviors. We were both broken, we both healed each other.

Back