Modern Technology taken to the next level, $15 to drive peak time in NY City

Wow, as a former NY resident I am not surprised but I am surprised how fast technology is moving, yeah, I know, same thing at the bridges but now driving into Manhattan everyday streets will be a $15 toll.

If you live in Manhattan and own a car you're not exactly poor.
What does living in Manhattan have to do with it?
People work (approx. 1.5 million people who dont live there), drive though streets all over America. Its doesnt mean they live there. All good. I found it interesting, could care less, another reason I got out of there.
It's all about the technology that I suspect other cities will use as time goes on.

The UK has this same issue with cameras being installed everywhere, even worse than NYC. IIRC they are also employing facial recognition and basically have a very good system to monitor people. Doesn't stop crime, grooming gangs, or any other issues they fail to act on due to "social concerns" but that's another topic.

Anyway, there are these so called blade runners that go around cutting down the cameras and even the pole they are mounted on.

Isnt this same system used for tolls on bridges, tunnels, parkways etc?

Its just being used to prevent congestive relief to a specific portion of Manhattan last i heard.

People work (approx. 1.5 million people who dont live there), drive though streets all over America. Its doesnt mean they live there. All good. I found it interesting, could care less, another reason I got out of there.
It's all about the technology that I suspect other cities will use as time goes on.
My wife has worked in all these places I haven’t (LA, SF, Chicago, Manhattan for the longest of all). I used to think about what you said….the majority of folks one sees in Manhattan, are from somewhere else, and here for their employment.

I mean even in college it was expensive. I had two friends who lived in a 550 sq ft apt on E 81st St between 1st and York (if this is inaccurate it’s from memory over 30 years ago). It cost them $425/mo due to rent control. To put that into perspective. 10 years later I had my own place in the Philly suburbs for $550/mo. Full price not rent control.

Before the pandemic we used the car pool feature and it only cost $6 to cross the Hudson. I’m talking 2018 I think. What is that now?

My wife has worked in all these places I haven’t (LA, SF, Chicago, Manhattan for the longest of all). I used to think about what you said….the majority of folks one sees in Manhattan, are from somewhere else, and here for their employment.

I mean even in college it was expensive. I had two friends who lived in a 550 sq ft apt on E 81st St between 1st and York (if this is inaccurate it’s from memory over 30 years ago). It cost them $425/mo due to rent control. To put that into perspective. 10 years later I had my own place in the Philly suburbs for $550/mo. Full price not rent control.

Before the pandemic we used the car pool feature and it only cost $6 to cross the Hudson. I’m talking 2018 I think. What is that now?
I dont know what it cost to cross anymore, we now live in the land of the free. I do have family who work in the city. Both very young professionals.
I think the newest pricing is around $11 to cross if no ez-pass. That is EACH way!
Here you go;

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 1.26.53 PM.jpg

I dont know what it cost to cross anymore, we now live in the land of the free. I do have family who work in the city. Both very young professionals.
I think the newest pricing is around $11 to cross if no ez-pass. That is EACH way!
Here you go;

View attachment 201541
Guess what, I learned the hard way around 2015. We used the Henry Hudson Bridge as my mom lives in CT and that can be a big time saver to the GWB over 87S. Used the bridge with NJ E-ZPASS.

IF YOU DONT HAVE A NY ISSUED E-ZPASS, you pay cash or toll by mail full rate!!!!!

So since NY is fine with issuing tags to out of state customers I got a NY acct. it’s totally free. Now I sometimes keep 2 (NY and NJ) with one in a foil bag.

I still have NJ but don’t need it. I go to the office 16x a month and need 18x for a discount.

Looks like Hudson River I’d $13.38, $15.38, $17.63.

IMG_0616.jpeg

Also Verrazzano charges both directions. I used to go to Brooklyn by way of Staten Island, but back to NJ via Manhattan, using the Verrazzano for free 😂 (still needed Goethals though)

Visiting aunt & uncle in Roselle Park, NJ, many decades ago, I decided to go joy riding around NYC late at night. Much to my horror, the exit signs did not state the Ixx interstate number which I was relying on, and only said the name of the parkway. So there I was, totally lost with no way to get out.

Cost me a fortune!

QUESTION: back then you paid to get in, but it was free to leave. I imagine that disappeared decades ago - especially with EZPass

It might be more than $15 to drive single or double occupancy vehicle from just south of I-285 on I-85 or I-75 in Atlanta to points 8-10 miles north of there in an afternoon / vice-versa in the mornings. I know that it was around $12.50 or so 4-5 years ago.

They installed some of those here in the next city over, they are working on redoing the interchange over interstate 81 and are using them to catch people speeding, I don't go through that area and I think in the construction zone they've reduced the speed to 25 mph. I believe it was a 35 but people constantly drove 45+ before the construction. Evidently they caught the lady that does our payroll 3x and it's an automatic $100 fine that you receive in the mail. They've been using them over the last couple of months and have already made something like $60k-$70k in fines. At first they were only supposed to be temporary but after this new source of income I look for them to start using them in other locations around the city.

It's all about generating income to pay these lucrative pensions of government workers - pay for facial recognition and license plate recognition to catch criminals.

By 2030, we will live in a cashless society. Cartels and companies that pay wages by cash, are not going to like the transition to it. When New Yorkers walk into Macy's in a few more years, you will be personally greeted (per mircochips), then either allowed to shop for products, or be refused at the pickup/pay registry and greeted by law enforcement for a past inpropriety, on the way out.

Last edited:
NYC is done. Put a fork in it.

Commercial real estate is dead. Big Money Mangers all moved their businesses to Florida or Texas or other low tax areas. No need to be in NYC anymore - everything is done online. When the biggest money leaves, so does everything servicing it. Commercial office space, once coveted globally, is at 49% occupancy last I read. Will be lots of real estate bankruptcies going forward.

Putting in camera's to tax the peasants won't make up for it, but they will still try:

What I think is a turd is I have ohio EZ pass.. you only get a discount on ohio tolls... yet it works all the other places...
If it works why am I not getting the discount rate. (I know the answer)

What I think is a turd is I have ohio EZ pass.. you only get a discount on ohio tolls... yet it works all the other places...
If it works why am I not getting the discount rate. (I know the answer)
All states seem to do this today to protect their revenue--for example, MD gets the E-ZPass rate only if a MD tag. MD tags were not free when I checked, so I wouldn't sign up just to pay the lower rate.

NY is free--so I have a NY, and I have a NJ acct. I should get rid of the NJ. NJ offers 5% I think only during off peak. In other words, they are scared to go eye for an eye with the mighty Empire State. Also, they charge $1/mo.

Again, down here in Phila., I have a commuter discount, which I can't use, for the bridge crossings to NJ. Need 18X a mo and I only go to work 16X a mo. in the office.

This is one of the most extreme cases and affected us, prompting me to get a NY acct.

$3.18 for NY E-ZPasss, and $8.25 for all others.

What is mid-tier, you say? That's for a NY account where the plate, not tag, was read what a joke

1707670071051.jpg

Just went to NYC yesterday and used the NY E-ZPass tag, but kept the NJ in a foil bag just in case (not rational but whatever).

To my delight, what I thought was $15.38 was $7.69. I said huh?? I'm in the Port Authority Staten Island plan? ***. I was enrolled 1/1/20.

OK, that tells me everyone is enrolled.

Then there was a counter that showed up, used 1/3 trips. So, come 3/31/24, when it shows I only took one trip, not 3, it will add to the toll so that the crossing costs $15.38. Very complicated imho. Why not apply a discount at the end of the period, not up front. What if I hurry up and close my account so I can't be charged?

I do miss the days before automated tolling (maybe 2019?) where we could pay only $6 to cross the Hudson River. Pull up to cash lane, put windows down, say carpool, and the attendant scowls and proceed through. $6 not $12-$15.

Since the Verrazzano is tolled both directions now, got charged $6.94 times 2. It would have been $11.19 times 2 for any other E-ZPass or simply by plate. Since we live in PA, I use the Outerbridge and not the beautiful newer Goethals. By traveling on the highway in Staten Island, that saves another $10.50 times 2, by not using the NJ turnpike.

Tolls today remind me of this RUN DMC tune from my youth

Back