Mobil's website recommends 5w40 T&SUV for '93 and earlier Porsches

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't have a Porsche, but I've been trying to decide on a 40 weight oil for my car, and 10w40 EP is nearly impossible to find. After hearing that 0w40 M1 is the factory fill in new Porsches, I decided to check the "help me decide" feature on Mobil's webiste to see if it's recommended for older Porsches:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Vehicle_Chooser/VehicleChooser.aspx?option=2

All '94 and newer Porsches get the 0w40 recommendation, but I was surprised to find out that they actually recommend 5w40 Truck & SUV for Porsches older than that, even if you type in really low mileage, whether it's under warranty or not. Does anyone have an opinion about why this is?

maybe the original reccomendation from OEM was a 15w-40... they dont want to go thicker (does regulat M1 15w-50 even exist anymore???), and the thinner ones dont cut it (5w-40 is a respectable, swappable alternative to a 15w-40 oil), so M1 5w-40 it is.

Just purely my speculation though...

JMH

Hi,
Porsche's Approved oils are either 0w-40 or 5w-40 viscoity retrospective for all engine types back to MY1973.
Only one heavier viscosity oil is currently Porsche Listed - M1 5w-50

I have used Delvac 1 5w-40 in my car (928 S4 V8) for a number of years and UOAs are on this site. Many Porsche owners here in OZ use Del 1 too including for track use

The Porsche factory's fill was a synthetic from 1992. Firstly this was Shell 10w-30 and later (1993) a 5w-40. M1 0w-40 has been the factory fill for many years and is the only viscosity allowed fro the bi-tirbo Cayenne V*

Regards
Doug

Thanks for the replies. It just seems strange that after a certain year, 0w40 is the recommendation. I read that the 0w40 tends to shear, is more of a thick 30 weight oil than a 40 weight, and Mobil may have done this for fuel economy. If 5w40 is good enough for Porsche, and Doug's 928 S4, then it's good enough for me.

What was Porsche thinking when they stopped making this car? If the 928 had never been made, and was just introduced today, it wouldn't look out of place at all. Nice car, Doug!
cheers.gif

Hi,
JPowers - shhhhh.....don't let the 928 S4 Supercar secret out!!!! Some now have near 1m kms on them without a rebuild too

Thank you for the link - I was unaware that Mobil was recommending M1 5w-40 T&SUV as stated

Porsche only has one factor in descriminating between 0w-40 and 5w-40 with the lighter grade being recommended below -25C
I think Porsche's manadatory use of a 0w-40 oil in the twin turbo Cayenne V8 has to do with turbo cooling and valve train actuator speed. It survives the 20K Kms OCIs very well indeed

MY1973 was an important year for Porsche as all cars from that point had FI which reduced the prospect of fuel dilution

Regards
Doug

Doug, I have been looking for a special car, one that may be my last. I have health conditions that indicate a short future and my driving capabilities will decline, soon.

I keep returning to the Porsche 928S4 or GT, as one of the cars I want to own, but at 6'4"., it is too small to fit me. I am also seriously considering a V12 MB or BMW, even a RR Silver Spirit, and others, etc. They are big enough to carry my wheelchair, and comfortable for my poor body. I can't see any modification other than removing the drivers seat in the 928, for me.

I am asking if you were faced with this situation, what cars would you choose and why? I don't want a new vehicle, but one that has been properly driven and maintained. I want to take some long road trips and not be worried about my comfort and safety. I use normal controls, and not steering wheel controls...yet.

Guys, any ideas will be welcome and Thanks, for your thinking on this.
cheers.gif

Hi pastmaster,
I have a friend here who had a surfing accident in the 1960s. He cannot use his legs (has a wheelchair) and owns a beautiful 928 GTS

The GTS has been converted to "hands only" controls and is the second 928 he has owned

His wheelchair fits in well and he can operate it alone

If you consider a 928 make sure it does NOT have a sunroof as these intrude. The seats can be lowered slightly (racers do this for the heoght of the helmet) and there is a lot of leg room

Jaguars, RRs and V12 BMWs are VERY EXPENSIVE to own and operate. The 840 BMW (V8) Coupes are good cars if carefully selected

If you want to contact me privately I can set you up with 928 contacts here and in NA who will provide user experience. A pre purchase inspection by a suitably qualified practicioner is a must

I am on my second 928, my first was a lovely and simple 928 (not S, S4 or GTS) - I still miss it!

Regards
Doug

I have a 78 928 without sunroof. I'm 6'2" and it has lots of extra headroom and legroom.

Hi pastmaster,
sorry, I did not really answer your question

I always wanted a 928 - I have never been a fan of the 911s. I have experience with them (I like aircooled engines) but will never own one
I made up my mind to buy a 928 around 1985 and I have never regretted my purchase(s). They are truely a great car if well maintained (and expensive if not) and they are the consummate long distance high speed cruiser. The smooth V8 and the four speed MB auto is a great combination

I am a Benz fan too having owned more Benzes than any other brand. The 230SL was one I still regret selling. Used 280SLs are a magic car and in good condition may be a good choice although the wheelchair may be a problem. The 500SEC is also a great a trouble free car if well maintained - they have plenty of interior space too

Regards
cheers.gif

Doug

Heck, I use it in my beater. If it's good 'nuff for Porsche...heck my car IS practicaly a Porsche now!

Thank you Doug and ebaker, on your thoughts on the 928. I need to find one locally to also try and see if I can get out of it.

Doug, I'll contact you with more questions.

Thanks
burnout.gif

Current beater is a 1987 Audi Coupe' GT. In the process of being replaced with a 1995 Audi 90q V6. Just trying to have some fun with the post, but seriously, Mobil 1 T&S is awesome. I have it in my "nice" car, a 1999 Audi A4 Avant V6 and it's everything I want in an oil.

Friends and fellows, Thank you for your thoughts on my question. I too, have looked at the MB Coupes, 500, 560, V12 600, and there are some spectacular deals on them, on Ebay. They are rare and very special. They would be easier to get in and out of for me, and servicing them would be easier as there are many more MB dealers and independants, than for Porsche 928's, especially up here in Central Michigan. As I can't do much of the servicing and repairs which I really enjoyed to do on my cars and motorcycles.

The Aston-Martins and Ferrari's, I haven't considered because I think that they are not practical, but at this stage, what is? I would buy a new or late model Corvette, but I don't fit, unless something has changed. I may even consider a new Hyundai Sonata or the MB Swatch car, HA HA!

Again, I would like your ideas on a last car, if you were in my situation. I still will keep my old cars and maybe even modify them, for my purposes. I don't know what I really want and cost is a factor, but not the primary focus.

Thank you friends!
cheers.gif
burnout.gif

Audi Junkie, what kind of car is your beater?

Doug, it's funny that you mentioned the 500 SEC, because I was going to mention the 560 SEC. I'm not a huge fan of new Mercedes cars, but that car is one of my favorites.

pastmaster, what about a V12 Aston Martin, or a front engined Ferrari? You can get either one of them with F1 style paddle shifters. Just a thought. It would be more fun than driving an automatic.

Pastmaster

Much respect from here on your courageous attitude. I read your post when I was moping about being overworked. I have very little to complain about and sometimes it takes a bit of a wakeup call.

I think the MB 500 series are interesting choices and nice cars, and I am sure that there are appealing options there.

But I would not be too afraid of things like headroom in the Porsche 928. While I have not owned a 928, I have owned three 944s and the headroom is significant. While I am only 6 feet tall I am all torso and head. Basically I have the upper body of someone who is 6' 3" on the legs of someone who is 5' 9". I have tons of headroom in my 944.

There are many cars that I cannot sit upright even at maximum headroom settings. My girlfriend's 2000 Civic requires me to tilt my head to drive, I returned a Hyundai Elantra I rented since i was crouching so much I thought it was dangerous. My only request when gettign a rental is something I can sit uppright in. A few years ago I almost bought an Acura Integra coupe at a time when it was the only car in that segment I could fit in. As a matter of fact just about any car of that size is a headroom problem for me, yet that is the size of car I like.

While I do not recommend it, I have actually had someone who is 6' 4" seated in the REAR SEAT of my 944. Sitting beside a guy about 5' 8" and behind a 6 footer in the front seat (bad back earned him the Shotgun seat). Okay, so it was for less than a mile, but we actually had 4 adult males in my first 944 to go to a restaurant.

The 928 is probably better in most ways for you (a little bigger, most are Autos) but I would not be too scared about its limitations for you.

Is the hatchback design any help, or would your wheelchair storage have to be in the passenger seat for access? I find the hatch a really compelling feature of the layout of the front engine Porsches, which also have more and better laid out front seat room than the 911 series. Its the reason why I have never bought a 911, althouogh DANG that Cayman is tempting.

The front engined Porsches are also really solidly built cars. In March I was sideswiped and then hit head on by a Flatbed truck at 70 mph on a highway in my 2nd 944 and was brought to a stop by the concrete median. Ten seconds later I had my laptop out and was typing information for Police and insurance purposes. Not a scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back