Oil recommendation for my BMW X3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help deciding on what oil I should use on a 2005 BMW X3 3.0l with over 120k miles on it. Obviously not under warranty.

I spent a lot of time reading posts on this board before deciding on Royal Purple HPS for some outdoor power equipment and I'm hoping some of the knowledgeable posters here can help clear up some confusion.

I'm in the NYC area, I drive fairly easy and I won't be driving this every day. Mostly short drives and maybe just a few rides a week but it I could go up to a week without driving it.

There's the BMW 5w30 synthetic but I'm hoping there might be something better.

Mobil 1 0w40 is frequently recommended but I checked some bottles and they don't appear to have the BMW LL-01 certification any more.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 still has the BMW LL-01 certification and is easy for me to get. I've read a lot of good things on here about PP and PU but is the PP Euro as good as PP? This Q&A leads me to believe it may not be. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rot#Post3836844

Is PP Euro made from the same base as PP? Is it a group V synthetic since it's made from natural gas?

I'm not too concerned about the oil being certified as long as it will be a good fit for me.

Would using PU 5w30 (or 5w40) be a better choice? It's an older car and the better cleaning ability of PU is appealing to me.

I also really like Royal Purple HPS. I've been using it in small engines for my mower, snow blower, etc and think it's a really good fit for those and that would have been my first choice except a lot of people seem to be suggesting LL-01 certified oils.

I can also get the RP API oils locally at a good price.

I'm not interested in Amsoil. I think the oils I mentioned above are high quality and one of those should be suitable.

Hoping some of you can answer some of my questions and weigh in on your opinions/experiences with these oils.

M1 0W-40 carries BMW LL-01 all day long. If you don't see it on the bottle then you either missed seeing it or you were looking at the wrong bottle. That would be earth shattering to say the least if they didn't.

Any oil that carries LL-01 is going to perform much like any other oil that also carries the certification. There is little need to go looking for some special brand just because it might be GTL. GTL is hydrocracked just like any other Group III oil.

Buy which ever LL-01 oil is cheapest and easier to locate for you. If you wish to buy RP, go for it since you say aren't too concerned whether the oil is certified or not. I wouldn't do that but you can, I tend to like buying oils that have demonstrated their suitability for my application. I'm not sure why Amsoil would be any different to you than RP, but neither one is likely to be an issue in your engine.

For the price I don't see how an argument can be made for not buying either M1 or Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart. Both are the flagship oils of either manufacturer and the price can't be beat.

Photo of M1 0W-40 bottle:

Originally Posted By: kschachn
M1 0W-40 carries BMW LL-01 all day long. If you don't see it on the bottle then you either missed seeing it or you were looking at the wrong bottle.

I checked a few different gallon bottles at Walmart last Wednesday. Bottle says 0w40 for european cars. On the back where it listed certifications for BM, VW and I think Porsche. On the front it didn't list BMW but did list Mercedes-Benz.I don't remember the other certifications exactly because I was only looking for BMW Longlife-01 but there was no BMW certification. I know there were two certifications for MB and a couple for other makes. I should have taken a picture but I forgot. There was a table on the back label in the website photo that listed BMW LL-01 along with MB,etc but when I got to the store there was no LL-01 in that table. I checked the hole label on a few bottles just to be sure.

Is there another M1 0w40 oil labeled for european cars that would be MB certified but not BMW LL01? Other than the ESP oil that would have the BMW LL-04 certification instead.

Originally Posted By: TomX3
Just noticed you posted a picture. When is that bottle from?

I bought it last Wednesday, the picture is from about 20 minutes ago.

M1 0W-40 carries BMW LL-01 all day long. If you don't see it on the bottle then you either missed seeing it or you were looking at the wrong bottle.

I checked a few different gallon bottles at Walmart last Wednesday. Bottle says 0w40 for european cars. On the back where it listed certifications for BM, VW and I think Porsche. On the front it didn't list BMW but did list Mercedes-Benz.I don't remember the other certifications exactly because I was only looking for BMW Longlife-01 but there was no BMW certification. I know there were two certifications for MB and a couple for other makes. I should have taken a picture but I forgot. There was a table on the back label in the website photo that listed BMW LL-01 along with MB,etc but when I got to the store there was no LL-01 in that table. I checked the hole label on a few bottles just to be sure.

Is there another M1 0w40 oil labeled for european cars that would be MB certified but not BMW LL01? Other than the ESP oil that would have the BMW LL-04 certification instead.

M1 0w40 has been bmw ll-01 approved for a very long time. You probably just overlooked it.

Castrol edge 0w40 is another option for you.

Well first off they wouldn't be gallon bottles at Walmart. So if you really meant "gallon" then that wasn't M1 0W-40.

You had to be looking at the wrong bottles unless ExxonMobil just made a huge shift in their certifications. EM's website says the oil is LL-01.

What's the date code on it?

I went there specifically to look at the M1 0w40 I didn't just casually check it out when I was shopping for something else. When I picked up the first bottle and noticed it didn't have the BMW certification on the back I stopped to double check the weight and looked at a bunch of other bottles. Even of different weights just to be sure. Didn't see BMW LL01. I think I checked the quart bottle too.

I meant the 5qt bottle or whatever size the large bottle is.

Mobil 1 stuff aside...

Anyone have any info/experience concerning Pennzoil Platinum vs Pennzoil Platinum Euro?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm glad you posted here as well. I figured Bitog would get to the bottom of the LL01 thing.

To the bottom of what LL01 thing?

The only numbers I see printed on the label are 11015L28A and 5590, no clue what they mean.

FWIW, I had to go to the grocery store so I stopped by AutoZone and looked at the oil bottles. All the M1 0W-40 had LL-01 approval on the label. Tonight I have to stop by Walmart and if I remember I'll look at the oil.

The only numbers I see printed on the label are 11015L28A and 5590, no clue what they mean.

I believe that's Dec, 28 20015

Originally Posted By: Garak
While I'm a RP fan, if you are concerned that M1 0w-40 isn't certified (it is), then I wouldn't be going for RP 0w-40 or 5w-40, which definitely are not.

I'm not really concerned too much about using an LL-01 certified oil as I think a lot of it might just be whether a company is willing to pay for certification or not and some may just be marketing. Any modern oil will be better than the oil available and recommended when the car was new.

Being LL-01 certified however is a pro that factors into my decision. I think Pennzoil Platinum and PU are better oils from what I've been reading so if I'm going to go with a LL01 certified oil why not go with PP Euro. Problem is I can't find much info on how PP Euro compares to either PP or PU. There used to be a PU Euro that's now discontinued and that seemed to be very good. When I try to find info or reviews for PP Euro it seems most people are talking about PU Euro. If PP Euro is no better than Mobil 1 0w40 I should get M1 because it's cheaper.

I really like RP and think the Synerlac HPS might be a good idea if I'm not driving the car daily.

Maybe I did't phrase my questions correctly. Let me try again.

How does PP Euro compare to PP or even Mobil 1 0w40?

Can I feel confident using PU since it seems like it might be one of the best, if not the best oils out there?

Will RP HPS be better suited to my driving pattern?

I like RP and can get the API oil easily. Is that an oil I should consider. While not BB LL01 it does meet the API ACEA certifications BMW currently recommends and exceeds the one in the manual.

If $$ makes a difference, Castrol 0W-40 and M1 0W-40 are going to be your best values at Walmart.

But if you like Pennzoil products, try their 5W-40 Euro. You can find it at some auto parts stores but there is always Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040834-6PK-Platinum-5W-40-Synthetic/dp/B00JMCCBRW

BMW oil from the dealer is now Shell/Pennzoil.

You could check with your dealer or use an on-line source like Turner Motorsport:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-210888-bmw-5w-30-twinpower-turbo-longlife-synthetic-oil.aspx

Pennzoil is probably a year or two away from having their Euro 5W-30 on the discounter's shelves in the US. It takes them a while but once they get it into the distribution system, I'll wager it will be one of the best buys out there.

Mobil 1 stuff aside...

Anyone have any info/experience concerning Pennzoil Platinum vs Pennzoil Platinum Euro?

Been using it in my 530i for years. It works, just as well as any other ll01 oil would.

All the M1 0W-40 at the Walmart I stopped at tonight was LL-01, just like the bottle I bought at a different Walmart.

And all those questions you asked, there isn't any answer for them IMO. Any of the Euro oils that meet LL-01 are going to be so similar as to be indistinguishable in actual service. You're on your own with an uncertified oil.

Can I feel confident using PU since it seems like it might be one of the best, if not the best oils out there?

They'll all be essentially interchangeable. I don't think you'll find any real difference in service. One might pick and choose a little bit based upon the cold cranking viscosity, if that were an issue to someone. Aside, from that, I'd see no problem with any of them, and even in my climate, have no concerns with a 5w-40. And there's nothing wrong with RP. In fact, if I had to choose between it and Pennzoil, I'd take RP, since Pennzoil Euro stuff is "slightly" hard to find here, if, by "slightly," I mean virtually impossible. I'm sure that any of the Pennzoil A3/B4 type offerings are fine. I'm not sure which is which or which is current, because they can't decide how they want to market the stuff and in what viscosity, let alone find shelf space for it. Here, I can get Castrol 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30, and 5w-40 all in A3/B4, without there being any confusion in the slightest about which is which. Pennzoil keeps fiddling around with data sheets and product nomenclature and viscosities, and I have no idea what actually is current, what is obsolete, and what even actually exists beyond being on paper. Not having them on shelves anywhere, either, makes it exceedingly hard to figure. I suspect in a few months, many BMW and Chrysler parts department people are going to get some very grey hair if Pennzoil can't choose a name and a viscosity and stick with it for more than six months.

If I needed an LL-01 product and found a Pennzoil product meeting that, any Pennzoil product meeting that spec, I'd grab it and run, and take pictures for posterity.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back