Mobile 1 0w-40 in 2005 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

Status
Not open for further replies.
While having the fuel filter replaced during a recent vacation to SW Michigan, the local Audi mechanic stated that he'd never run anything but 0w-40 in my car. I'm basically a noob to understanding the different oil types and advantages; I just make sure that anything put in my car is Audi/VW-certified. My regular mechanic, who works on all European vehicles (not just Audi), seems to think their special blend Mobile 1 5w-30 synth is a equally good choice (and keeps me from bringing my own oil, lol).

Does it matter which I choose? I live in north central Iowa, most driving is at highway speeds, summers can be hot (90-100+F) and winters cold (occasional sub zero days), but otherwise pretty moderate. The car has 126k miles and doesn't usually leak a drop of oil on my garage floor...with the exception of right now as it needs head gaskets replaced soon.

Looking forward to learning more, both for this car's benefit as well as for my future vehicles!

Originally Posted By: twinkiefan
their special blend Mobile 1 5w-30 synth

Not sure which particular product this "special blend" refers to, but unless it specifically mentions VW 502.00 spec, then it is not the correct product, technically speaking. In reality, it may just be OK.

M1 0w-40 is VW 502.00 approved.

By the way, there is no 'e' in Mobil.
wink.gif

Welcome to BITOG! Nice ride!

There is no Mobil 1 5w30 that meets the Audi 502/505 specifications. That oil is too thin. The 0w40 is VW approved and a very solid choice.

Excellent motor, BTW -- same one that I had in my old S4.

Thanks for the info! I didn't think to double-check the spellchecker...Mobil is now in my iPhone's dictionary.
smile.gif

I'll stick to bringing my own oil (0w-40) and see how many miles I can get out of my "baby."
smile.gif
There are a few other small problems to work through, but at least nothing major yet (just a good to-do list). Best car I've had, so far!

I'm technically on the edge of north central Iowa; Boone, to be exact. Continually shocked by how many fellow Iowans or relatives of Iowans that I come across!

Originally Posted By: jaj
From the Audi of America Website:

VW 502 00 | Castrol | Castrol SLX Professional OE | SAE 5W-30

That's true, but good luck finding that anywhere except the dealer.

Originally Posted By: twinkiefan
Thanks for the info! I didn't think to double-check the spellchecker...Mobil is now in my iPhone's dictionary.
smile.gif

I'll stick to bringing my own oil (0w-40) and see how many miles I can get out of my "baby."
smile.gif
There are a few other small problems to work through, but at least nothing major yet (just a good to-do list). Best car I've had, so far!

I'm technically on the edge of north central Iowa; Boone, to be exact. Continually shocked by how many fellow Iowans or relatives of Iowans that I come across!

Greetings from a fellow Boone dweller!

To add to jaj's post, just remember that even though it lists a 5w-30 as the correct fill, it also has to meet the VW 502 rating (as indicated), meaning that the HT/HS of the oil has to be at least 3.5cp, or in other words a "thick" 30 grade. Another commonly used oil for those apps is "German Castrol". It is the European Formula 0w-30, which in operation acts more like a light 40 grade oil.

I noticed today, on Amazon, that Pennzoil has a 5w-30 for European vehicles. It's Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30, European formula. It's worth checking out to see if it meets your specs....

The only Mobil 1 5W-30 product sold in the U.S. that could possibly fit this description is the ESP. It does meet VW 504/507 and would be acceptable for use in your car.

Is your 4.2 a direct injection engine? If not, I would just stick with a 502 oil like the M1 0W-40 you've already been using.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I noticed today, on Amazon, that Pennzoil has a 5w-30 for European vehicles. It's Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30, European formula. It's worth checking out to see if it meets your specs....

It could be used, but you'd have to keep the intervals shorter because it's a low SAPS oil. For the same money or less, you're better off getting a full SAPS PU 5w-40 instead. Not to mention M1 0w-40 which costs even less.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
That's a diesel oil.

It's also a "gasoline" oil.

Euro L 5W-30

VW 504 00 and 507 00
Porsche C30
Mercedes Benz 229.51
BMW LL-04
Fiat 9.55535-S1
Chrysler MS-11106
Exceeds the requirements of ACEA C2, C3 and A3/B4

Originally Posted By: dbrowne1
That's a diesel oil.

Euro L 5W-30

VW 504 00 and 507 00
Porsche C30
Mercedes Benz 229.51
BMW LL-04
Fiat 9.55535-S1
Chrysler MS-11106

Those are all diesel approvals.

That's a diesel oil.

Euro L 5W-30

VW 504 00 and 507 00
Porsche C30
Mercedes Benz 229.51
BMW LL-04
Fiat 9.55535-S1
Chrysler MS-11106

It is more focused on diesel engines.
PU 5W40 is what is right oil for 4.2 gasoline engine.

Thank you for your post!
Thanks for posting the facts and clarifying the standards of the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-30.

That's a diesel oil.

Euro L 5W-30

VW 504 00 and 507 00
Porsche C30
Mercedes Benz 229.51
BMW LL-04
Fiat 9.55535-S1
Chrysler MS-11106

You missed two posts before yours. Read them again.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Thank you for your post!
Thanks for posting the facts and clarifying the standards of the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-30.

That's a diesel oil.

Euro L 5W-30

VW 504 00 and 507 00
Porsche C30
Mercedes Benz 229.51
BMW LL-04
Fiat 9.55535-S1
Chrysler MS-11106

That's a diesel oil.

Euro L 5W-30

VW 504 00 and 507 00
Porsche C30
Mercedes Benz 229.51
BMW LL-04
Fiat 9.55535-S1
Chrysler MS-11106

Those are all diesel approvals.

VW 504 00 is a diesel approval? That would be news to Volkswagen ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back