Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40

Originally Posted by ChristianReske

I just want to clarify things about the base stock a little bit. I dont want to start a Discussion.

@ Triple_Se7en:

In the german Motor oil Forum, it´s all about PAO, PAG, Ester. Grp III oils are not so good.
You should only use a 10w- or 15w- oil because of the thick base oil, or the bearings in your engine get destroyed in no time. Because of this, 0w- or 5w- oils are crap.
BTW, Cold start wear does not exist.
The Big companys dont make decent oils, the make averag oils. Only little, lesser known Companys (Gulf, Penrite, Kroon, Pakelo) make good oil.
Manufacturer approvals are not so critical.
The newest hype: Use Motorcycle oils in Cars. Better base oils, better additive package.

Compare this to BITOG.

How is right?

As person who worked on testing to get approval (VW504.00/507.00) I will tell you that manufacturers of vehicles who have approval process are right.

You are probably right.

Also, some points in the german Motor oil forum are at least intersting to read and to think about. One could come to own conclusions. Nevertheless, i have deleted my account there. I cant stand the "10w- or 15w is best, Cold start wear does not exist" and "VI Improvers brake down in no time, avoid them at all cost" mantra at this forum anymore.

But compare this to the BITOG mindset "Get the cheapest oil that carrys the approvals...."

Some people care more about the base stock oil than approvals. Some people outside of germany are confused about the base stocks of LM oils. I just want to claryfi things a little bit for this people.

You are probably right.

Also, some points in the german Motor oil forum are at least intersting to read and to think about. One could come to own conclusions. Nevertheless, i have deleted my account there. I cant stand the "10w- or 15w is best, Cold start wear does not exist" and "VI Improvers brake down in no time, avoid them at all cost" mantra at this forum anymore.

But compare this to the BITOG mindset "Get the cheapest oil that carrys the approvals...."

Some people care more about the base stock oil than approvals. Some people outside of germany are confused about the base stocks of LM oils. I just want to claryfi things a little bit for this people.

ðŸ‘

You are probably right.

Approvals are minimum requirement. That does not mean there are no oils that are worth of premium. In the end, we could all drive Toyota Yaris and be fine, but we do not. That goes with oils too.
My take on this is the more approvals oil has, the better it is. Thing is that each manufacturer has something they emphasize. MB is all about Noack and deposits. BMW is all about oxidation. VW with 504.00/507.00 oils put a lot of emphasis on wear. Give me oil that has multiple up to date approvals, and I will use it.
I personally stay away from LM as it was probably the worst oil I have ever used while I lived in Europe. The consumption of that oil in any car was truly astonishing. I had better results with brands such as INA, OLMA and Optima than LM.

LM is the best selling brand here in Germany since years, a lot of my Co-workers and friends use it, i used it. Nobody complains about excessive oil consumption with LM. Nobody in the german Oil Club forum reported about high oil consumption with LM. You are the only person i am aware that complains about high oil consumption with LM. Just saying.

My take ist, if it has MB 229.5 / 229.3 / Porsche A40, i use it. But if possible i want Grp IV PAO or GTL, something "better" than Grp III wich is the "Toyota Yaris of Oils".

Thanks for the head up to the VW 504 / 507 specifiction, i dont cared about it until today. But it looks demanding:

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

So, I learned something new today.

But: The VW 504 / 507 approvals only aplys to -30 oils. We are talking only about -40 oils here in this thread!

-40 oils are more and more outdated and a thing of the past, manufacturers are steering towards -30, -20 and even -16 oils.

Manufacturers dont care so much about this dated -40 oils and dont want to spend money on renewing approvals, it seems to me.
Therefore, most -40 Oils have only dated approvals, at least ist seems so to me.

So, if i am looking for a oil for a gasoline engine and found a -40 oil with a genuine Porsche A40 and MB 229.5 approval wich is really made of PAO: Whats not to like?

It carrys ACEA A3, B4, API SM.
It is "Recomended for.." MB 229.3 and Porsche A40. it is a old formulation, a older product. It is around since 20 Years? I think LM dont want to invest money for updated approvals.

According to german law, a oil that is "Full Synthetik" labeled here in germany should contain (to my knowldege) at least 60% of group IV. LM 0w-40 is labeled "Fully Synthetic" here in germany.

Mobil 1 is not labeled "Fully Synthetic" here, MOTUL also.
how does this get explained though?

@ChristianReske

1150.png

picture downloaded from liqui-moly.de german website; the bottle says vollsynthetisch which means full synthetic

sds downloaded from liqui-moly.de german website; the sds lists 30 % PAO

liquimoly.jpg

i guess even in germany oils with less than 50 % PAO get sold as full synthetic; so much for the supposedly strict german oil regulations.

The german regulations are Strict. If you found 1 oil out of 100 that do not confirm to the regulation, this do not mean that the regulation dont applys or work.

If a oil manufacturer in Germany sells "Vollsynthetisch" engine oil wich did not contain enough Group IV oil according to german law, the company risks a very costly trial at court. Ask Motul about this.... the have tried it. ;)

Ask Liqui moly what´s going on. Send them a E-Mail. I still trust Liqui Moly 100%.

The german regulations are Strict. If you found 1 oil out of 100 that do not confirm to the regulation, this do not mean that the regulation dont applys or work.

If a oil manufacturer in Germany sells "Vollsynthetisch" engine oil wich did not contain enough Group IV oil according to german law, the company risks a very costly trial at court. Ask Motul about this.... the have tried it. ;)

Ask Liqui moly what´s going on. Send them a E-Mail. I still trust Liqui Moly 100%.
i will send email and report back.

I am under the impression that the oil companys here watch each other closely and if they find out that a competitor sells oil with wrong declaration, their lawyers get busy. Therefore, no oil company could risk it here to sell oil with wrong advertising.
Motul was sued by a competitor to my knowledge, wich could be wrong.

I am under the impression that the oil companys here watch each other closely and if they find out that a competitor sells oil with wrong declaration, their lawyers get busy. Therefore, no oil company could risk it here to sell oil with wrong advertising.
Motul was sued by a competitor to my knowledge, wich could be wrong.
I sent an an email to liqui moly info email address on july 30 2022 and still havent gotten a reply

I think LM has good oils, but only good and not outstanding. They work well, but I only know two really good ones. Nevertheless, these will hardly cause damage to the engine. What I find very commendable about this brand is that the boss is very human and is committed to his employees and the preservation of jobs. He pays well and you can purchase the products directly from the manufacturer. In Moto 2, they have now been the engine oil supplier for several years.

LM is in the middle of a huge marketing push in the US right now, targeting enthusiasts of European cars, but their pricing here is bordering on ridiculous in my opinion. What are you tangibly gaining over Mobil 1 besides a lighter wallet?

LM is in the middle of a huge marketing push in the US right now, targeting enthusiasts of European cars, but their pricing here is bordering on ridiculous in my opinion. What are you tangibly gaining over Mobil 1 besides a lighter wallet?
Liqui Moly is a good buy if you can find it at reasonable pricing, mine has all been purchased via FCP Euro. An often overlooked advantage - for my Jetta I only need 4 liters of LM but for example M1 I need to buy 5 quarts, so there is savings there.

Liqui Moly is a good buy if you can find it at reasonable pricing, mine has all been purchased via FCP Euro. An often overlooked advantage - for my Jetta I only need 4 liters of LM but for example M1 I need to buy 5 quarts, so there is savings there.
5 quart jugs of M1 can be had for less than 4 liters of LM

Back