Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Liqui Moly 0w-40 is Group IV, PAO.
Just Saying.

30-60% based on the MSDS, pretty broad range, but does point to a decent slug of PAO in the base oil blend.

It carrys ACEA A3, B4, API SM.
It is "Recomended for.." MB 229.3 and Porsche A40. it is a old formulation, a older product. It is around since 20 Years? I think LM dont want to invest money for updated approvals.

According to german law, a oil that is "Full Synthetik" labeled here in germany should contain (to my knowldege) at least 60% of group IV. LM 0w-40 is labeled "Fully Synthetic" here in germany.

Mobil 1 is not labeled "Fully Synthetic" here, MOTUL also.

Originally Posted by kschachn
At least LiquMoly is ethical in listing what approvals it has and does not have.

What reputable oil company dos not list it?

Originally Posted by Averroes
I mean I am currently running it in my Merc, with s MANN filter. It's the 5w40 LT not the 0W-40 as you stated. I don't think it is anything special, however it is a decent oil that can make it through my 8,000km oil changes.

You can use any of the oils listed as "Approved" for 229.5 on the Bevo site. Would include LM Leichtlauf 5W-40, M1 FS 0W-40, etc. By using approved oils, it should be able to do the OEM OCI. Should be the FSS system on your car.?

The issue the "oil experts" have with that LM product is that it is a semi-synthetic, and should therefore be CHEAPER than M1, Castrol, etc.
I have M1 FS in my old Benz now, and M1 and Castrol 0W-40 in the stash. Just my preference.

Mercedes BEVO Oil Specs

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Liqui Moly 0w-40 is Group IV, PAO.
Just Saying.

30-60% based on the MSDS, pretty broad range, but does point to a decent slug of PAO in the base oil blend.

Conversely if it said 70-40% Group 3 people would be like "NOT A SYNTHETIC !!!..BAAAADDD"

Last edited:
Castrol: Grp III Hydrocrack.
Mobil1: SHC - Hydrocrack and a part of PAO
Motul: Hydrocrack
LM Synthoil 0w-40 and 5w-40 Synthoil: Mostly PAO. These two are the only one from the bunch that are labeled "Fullysynthetic" (PAO) here in Germany.

And yet again, look at which one(s) carry the most approvals?

Am I supposed to divine that I'll get superior performance (meeting or exceeding a needed approval) just by knowing the base stocks?

I just want to clarify things about the base stock a little bit, because LM get sometimes a little bit undeserved critics here.
For my cars, i only care about MB 229.3, 229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals.

It's got a catchy, memorable name.

That really helps it get traction and stand out amongst all the other choices.

A lot of people like to be different and run something different than the crowd.

I just want to clarify things about the base stock a little bit, because LM get sometimes a little bit undeserved critics here.

Castrol 0W30 C3 is mostly PAO.
Also, Mobil1 proved long time ago that Group III oils could have astonishing performance.

Originally Posted by CaptainHazelwood
Originally Posted by john_pifer
A lot of people like to be different and run something different than the crowd.

That is an odd form of self expression.

HAHA.

You haven't been here very long, have you?

There are lots of weirdos on this board!

Think about it - who would spend time browsing a board about motor oil?

Originally Posted by CaptainHazelwood

That is an odd form of self expression.

HAHA.

You haven't been here very long, have you?

There are lots of weirdos on this board!

Think about it - who would spend time browsing a board about motor oil?

Yes, sir. Fair enough. I've lurked and browsed for a lot longer than my join date would suggest, but you're 100% correct.

A lot of the behaviors I've witnessed that people appear to be proud of on this board would be described as... idiosyncratic at best.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Also, Mobil1 proved long time ago that Group III oils could have astonishing performance.

I just want to clarify things about the base stock a little bit.

I dont care about xxW-30 oils, i dont use them and this thread is about 0w-40. BTW, LM also produce some PAO xxW-30 oils.

Yes, Mobil 1 has proven that non PAO oils can be great. But i think this it not the point of this Thread?

And again: LM is PAO, all others are mostly Group III.

Some people may found this Information helpful and interesting, some others maybe not.

Some people care about the manufacturers specification on the bottle, some others about the base stock.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I've got a 99 Mercedes E430 Sport. I've always run Mobil 1 0w40 in it. My mechanic, who specializes in European cars, has switched to LiquiMoly 0w40 and was really hyping it up. I am sure it is outstanding oil, but The car has done perfectly well with Mobil1. Napa has M1 0w40 Euro formula on sale right now and with a free Coleman cooler deal, to boot, so I already know I'm going with M1, at least this time around.

I'm just curious what the Bitog hive thinks in a head to head matchup of these two oils.

Let the opinions fly!

easy... M1 0w-40

I dont care about xxW-30 oils, i dont use them and this thread is about 0w-40. BTW, LM also produce some PAO xxW-30 oils.

Yes, Mobil 1 has proven that non PAO oils can be great. But i think this it not the point of this Thread?

Some people may found this Information helpful and interesting, some others maybe not.

Some people care about the manufacturers specification on the bottle, some others about the base stock.

PAO does not define quality. Ask any European about their high content PAO oils. Most will say they're inferior.
But when you blend PAO with Uncle Group the Third and Aunt Ester, Mr. Goody-Good-Shoes appears.

I specifically mentioned Castrol C3 as it falls into same targeted group of consumers, and it is far better oil than anything LM 0W30 there, 100% PAO or not.
No, most people who buy LM care only about huge Made in Germany letters in front. That was cornerstone of business model of LM, not trying to constantly keep up with approvals, but constantly trying to refine marketing approach. That is it. Manufacturers constantly update approvals, however LM is still selling oils that I was buying for my Opel Vectra B some 20 years ago.

I just want to clarify things about the base stock a little bit. I dont want to start a Discussion.

@ Triple_Se7en:

In the german Motor oil Forum, it´s all about PAO, PAG, Ester. Grp III oils are not so good.
You should only use a 10w- or 15w- oil because of the thick base oil, or the bearings in your engine get destroyed in no time. Because of this, 0w- or 5w- oils are crap.
BTW, Cold start wear does not exist.
The Big companys dont make decent oils, the make averag oils. Only little, lesser known Companys (Gulf, Penrite, Kroon, Pakelo) make good oil.
Manufacturer approvals are not so critical.
The newest hype: Use Motorcycle oils in Cars. Better base oils, better additive package.

Compare this to BITOG.

How is right?

Back