Mobil1 0W-20 oil choices per driving needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the original owner of a 2012 Toyota Tacoma SR5 base cab 2.7L 4X4 5-speed manual transmission truck. 85,500 easy miles due to I don't go off road, tow or carry heavy loads, and mostly highway miles. I'm ready to start doing my own oil changes since I'm fed up with my dealers shenanigans. My owners manual states to use a 0W-20 synthetic oil which I have since purchasing new. I prefer to use Mobil1 products due to convenience of purchasing locally and brand past experiences.

After researching Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic oil, man do they have so many choices to choose from in this weight: Advanced Economy, High Mileage, Extended Performance, Truck/SUV and so. I plan of changing my oil at least once a year and no longer than 10,000 miles as recommended by Toyota. Any Toyota Tacoma 2.7L engine owners out here that have one choice they prefer use? Should I use a high mileage (75,000mi) choice since I'm above that mileage? Looking forward to hear your preferences. Thanks.

No need for a high mileage oil unless you have some seal leaks, I'd bet you can use any synthetic 0W20 and that engine will outlive the rest of the truck.

I'd go with M1 because of the $12 rebate, get 4 5qt jugs for $10 a piece! Try two AFE two EP and see what your butt dyno likes more.

Originally Posted by Ponchinizo
No need for a high mileage oil unless you have some seal leaks, I'd bet you can use any synthetic 0W20 and that engine will outlive the rest of the truck.

I'd go with M1 because of the $12 rebate, get 4 5qt jugs for $10 a piece! Try two AFE two EP and see what your butt dyno likes more.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Now let us wait for the differing, semantic and otherwise opine of whosoever will post next, along with some intelligence mixed in. I'll wait.

M1 EP would be a good choice but any of their product lines will run fine. You don't need HM oil.

Those 2.7's are great motors.

This link was taken off the Mobil1 official website for my vehicle recommendation engine oil. It's a plus since my local Wally World website has them in stock! I kind of like the Advanced Fuel Economy since my mine is horrible. Plus I live in cold climate area. And currently $22.88 for 5qt jug!

Mobil1 0W20

Last edited:
The marketing folks at XOM bought into the idea that giving consumers "more" options will help direct people to the right product. I feel it has the opposite effect. I'm not a marketing guy and don't have any data to back that up. Just my opinion.

I would use AFE or AP/ EP 0w20.

Originally Posted by PimTac
M1 EP would be a good choice but any of their product lines will run fine. You don't need HM oil.

The M1 EP in 0w20 is one of the best values looking at base stock etc …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by PimTac

The M1 EP in 0w20 is one of the best values looking at base stock etc …

Agreed!

M1 EP when $26 5 qt jug on sale at Wally is as good as it gets. Have used it in My 2015 F150 5.0 from the start.

M1 EP is only $4 more and better oil and per Mobil, is good for 15K. You average about 11.5K/yr. I'd change the oil once per year and use a Fram Ultra or M1 filter. That way if you drive a bit more no worries. You get a $17 rebate for any M1+ M1 filter currently, so you'd pay around $20 for an oil change

Any brand of synthetic oil with the API marking will be fine, in the OEM specified oil weight. If you prefer Mobil1, then buy that brand. High mileage oil contains additives to condition engine seals, to prevent drying, cracking, and leaking. As for claims of extended use, I don't know how long in time or miles you want to go. Some people want an oil which can last for more miles. My preference is to follow OEM specified oil change intervals. I am personally skeptical that they have an additive pack which gets higher mileage. Some people believe that the right motor oil can yield more miles per gallon.

Picking M1 EP or AP 0w20 is choosing more PAO. Look at it this way: PAO in oil is like olive oil in marinara. Sure, the cheaper soybean oil will do, but olive oil is really better, and more expensive, so most marinara makers avoid olive oil to save costs on the product. I do pick name-brand oils that have GTL GroupIII+ if other factors are at play, since its close to PAO in performance, yet I rarely see a reason to choose a GroupI through GroupIII oil.

Another approach to all this is to pick a 0w20 that has the VW 508 performance rating. That is the highest spec right now. I think M1 EP and AP approach it, yet not sure exactly.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Look at it this way: PAO in oil is like olive oil in marinara. Sure, the cheaper soybean oil will do, but olive oil is really better, and more expensive, so most marinara makers avoid olive oil to save costs on the product.

What the eeeeffffff....I want whatever you're drinking...prolly olive oil!

Originally Posted by deven
What the eeeeffffff....I want whatever you're drinking...prolly olive oil!
That analogy holds up. I'm checking marinara spaghetti sauce labels in grocery stores for more olive oil in them, as a sign they are true to Italian ways, and are willing to put expensive stuff in their red sauce.
You'd like it if all oil was dyed purple, right? Mr. "proud user of Royal Purple" shill.

Royal Purple, Amsoil, Lucas Oil, RedLine....... is like Scientology. I was sure that if I paid more money, to advance to the next level. my life would be different. An awakening would happen. After paying more money, I don't feel any difference. I still can't get a girl. Now I just buy motor oil on sale, with a coupon, and send in for a rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back