Mobil Special ???

I'm reading emails at work and a vendor sent me a quote for Mobil Special 5w30 rated API SP in a 55 gallon drum for $366.75. That's a $1.67 a quart! I got all excited because I thought it was Mobil Super 5000 that he was talking about. I've never heard of Special. Is it worth that price?

Last edited:
Mobil Special is the entry level Mobil motor oil, although that being said it's an SP/GF-6A rated 5W30, so I'm pretty sure it has to be syn blend, don't know much about the additive package, that being said pretty much the cheapest API/ILSAC rated conventional(I guess it's more like "non-premium" synthetic blend for 5W20 and 5W30) nowadays is all pretty decent stuff. I wouldn't feel bad about putting it in a customers car if they request the cheapest oil change service.

A plastic drum spigot would be my suggestion. A few years back I had a 30 gallon drum of Amsoil. Very convenient if you have a need for that quantity of the same grade/brand of oil. I built a simple 2x4 rack on a HF movers dolly to hold the drum horizontal and used the spigot to fill 5 qt containers.

spigot.jpg

Mobil Special is the entry level Mobil motor oil, although that being said it's an SP/GF-6A rated 5W30, so I'm pretty sure it has to be syn blend, don't know much about the additive package, that being said pretty much the cheapest API/ILSAC rated conventional(I guess it's more like "non-premium" synthetic blend for 5W20 and 5W30) nowadays is all pretty decent stuff. I wouldn't feel bad about putting it in a customers car if they request the cheapest oil change service.

Mainly it's a cheaper version of 5000 for their quckie-lubes, I wouldn't be surprised if it is Mobil5000 sold for cheaper in bulk or the plain blue packaging with different branding as not to devalue M5000 sold at retail stores...

You guys ate your funny pills tonight! It’s not for customers. I manage a municipal fleet and purchase in bulk. We have used Super 5000 before with good UOA results but never saw special before. And we have drum pumps for our bulk lubricants. The spoon takes too long when doing 7-8 gallon dump trucks.

That price seems kinda high. We buy ServicePro Dexos Full Synthetic 5w30 in ecoboxes for around $10/gal.

Synthetic blend oil. Mobil backs it up for OEM which in my case is 10k

Yes but he's paying $6.67/gal. Albeit it's not Dexos. So how is that kinda high?
I guess I should have added that $7/gal for conventional vs $10/gal for synthetic makes synthetic a far better value.

Synthetic blend oil. Mobil backs it up for OEM which in my case is 10k
They back it up in the same way they back up EP for 20K. It'll work, but you don't want to do it.

That price seems kinda high. We buy ServicePro Dexos Full Synthetic 5w30 in ecoboxes for around $10/gal.
I guess I should have added that $7/gal for conventional vs $10/gal for synthetic makes synthetic a far better value.
$10 a gallon is 50% more than $6.67/gal if you're running on a shoestring municipal budget the conventional is probably a better choice.

Back