Mobil 7500 before the Full Syn switch to M1 or M15,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCB

I have a 98 Acura Integra GSR with 95 K. I bought it used at around 80k. Not sure what was in it before. I have Auto Rxd the engine and it has had a steady diet of GTX 10-30 in the Summer and GTX 5-30 in the Winter always changed at 3K.

My car runs great and I want to put the very best stuff in there that I can! Now I seem to be reading mixed reviews on the GTX.

Would it be smart to run the Mobil 7500 semi syn for 5k - 7500 before switching over to a full synthetic like Mobil 1 or the new M15,000

I was just thinking maybe it would be a good idea to run a semi synthetic before switching over to a full syn? Does it even matter?

I would love to get 200,000 out of this car and I want to put the very best stuff I can in there to get the most out of it. Thanks!

I don't see any advantage to using the 7500 as an intermediate step on the way to M1.

If you are going the M1 route, I would choose the Extended Protection version.

Certainly on M1EP you could extend your oil change interval to 6,000 miles or more. It is a shame to dump a good oil like that at 3,000 miles.

John

[ March 05, 2005, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: jthorner ]

Would anyone here really go 15K on that? Would you go 15K on the same filter. And how many people can go that far with out loosing some oil?

certianly would run a UOA on any oil before going 15000 miles ...I know I can do it with my car have done it 5 differant times ..with UOA ...but I have a bypass filter

John,

So you think this $5.25/qt, "Uber Lube" from my pals at ExxonMobil will really last for all of 6000 miles in a high performance application?
shocked.gif

Seriously though, I think 10,000 miles is about right for the GSR; given the sump size, mpg and specific power output. I would highly recommend using a bottle of AutoRX first, however, along with a Mobil 1 oil filter. The Mobil 1, 5w-30 EP formulation would be my recommendation as well.

Oil Change Interval (OCI) Formula:

OCI = (C*)(mpg)(sump-qts)(cubic inches/Hp)

I'd use a C* of 120 for the new Mobil 1, EP oils, the same as for the Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40 formulations.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by OCB:
Would anyone here really go 15K on that? Would you go 15K on the same filter. And how many people can go that far with out loosing some oil?

If you read Mobil's web site on their new EP Mobil-1 oils, you'll see that they recommend checking your oil level from time-to-time as you likely will need to add some "top-up" oil over a 15k OCI.

Thank you everyone for the comments!

TOOSLICK, I auto Rxed the engine and completed the rinse phase about 2 oil changes ago. Do you think I should RX it again before the switch to a full syn?

And if so so what oil do you suggest I use for the process. Mobil EP 5K?

I check my oil level every fill up and after about 1000 miles I notice the oil level is down a bit and I always start adding some. I hit VTEC alot and I feel like this might have alot to do with it.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
John,

So you think this $5.25/qt, "Uber Lube" from my pals at ExxonMobil will really last for all of 6000 miles in a high performance application?
shocked.gif

Seriously though, I think 10,000 miles is about right for the GSR; given the sump size, mpg and specific power output. I would highly recommend using a bottle of AutoRX first, however, along with a Mobil 1 oil filter. The Mobil 1, 5w-30 EP formulation would be my recommendation as well.

Oil Change Interval (OCI) Formula:

OCI = (C*)(mpg)(sump-qts)(cubic inches/Hp)

I'd use a C* of 120 for the new Mobil 1, EP oils, the same as for the Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40 formulations.

TS

OCB,

The Mobil 1 should slowly clean out any remaining deposits. I'd just go ahead and put it in there.

I think the new EP formulations are going to be very good oils BTW, simply based on the additive chemistry. I'd certainly recommend them over the GF-4 formulations with their reduced additive levels, even for brand new engines.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back