Mobil 1 - Why Synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS????? WAS IT HWAY? STOP AND GO?Did they have the same problems with Mobil that every month is listed here on BITOG?Did they burn more with Mobil? have valvetrain noise increase ETC??Remember Mobil was in the Consumer Reports NYC Taxi test and it was shown nothing was different in wear vs convential oil when Consumer Reports that does not sell oil, tore down the engines, without a motive to sell anything.. Consumer Reports re. wear nothing different with 3k or 6k. I know now the oils are different blah blah blah.

You guys are nuts.
lol.gif
crazy2.gif

For basic purposes, it's well done. And at least it's not some Timken or 4-ball wear test.

Quote:
Rating Synthetic Oil Performance
With years of experience and top resources, our expert engineers carefully select every component in order to maximize our synthetic oils’ capabilities. With over 40 years of research and development in this field, ExxonMobil has devised a proprietary, advanced formula proven to keep your engine running like new. That’s why more car builders recommend Mobil 1 synthetic oil as factory fill than any other motor oil brand in the world.

Mobil 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin.gif
48.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
More bar graphs without scales...

Quote:
In a controlled test, after 105,000 miles with 15,000-mile oil change intervals using Mobil 1 advanced fully synthetic oil, *most* engine parts in the 2010 Honda Accord LX 4-cylinder were still within new engine tolerances.

Emphasis mine...

Wonder which parts aren't most.

Interesting the word tolerance is used and not clearance. What aren't they saying?
Anyways I am of the belief that a quality oil changed at a proper interval will keep an engine clean and like new. I like that Mobil really extended the interval and provided pics. It shows how wasteful 5000 mile intervals are in most cases.
And tig has proven,to me anyways how good a product Mobil 1 is in his engines,so I've chosen to go with the flow.
Cool pics

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
More bar graphs without scales...

Quote:
In a controlled test, after 105,000 miles with 15,000-mile oil change intervals using Mobil 1 advanced fully synthetic oil, *most* engine parts in the 2010 Honda Accord LX 4-cylinder were still within new engine tolerances.

Emphasis mine...

Wonder which parts aren't most.

Interesting the word tolerance is used and not clearance. What aren't they saying?
Anyways I am of the belief that a quality oil changed at a proper interval will keep an engine clean and like new. I like that Mobil really extended the interval and provided pics. It shows how wasteful 5000 mile intervals are in most cases.
And tig has proven,to me anyways how good a product Mobil 1 is in his engines,so I've chosen to go with the flow.
Cool pics

The use of tolerance is right here, as the clearances on factory parts varies from engine to engine. It is the allowable variance (tolerance) that determines what is acceptable or not.

Originally Posted By: skyship

The Castrol Edge endurance test named M1 and then the engine using it blew up first, so I would have thought Mobil would have responded.

You obviously haven't been around here long. Mobil never responds to any of their competitors claims.
21.gif

Quote:
The graphs showing M1 wear rates vs conventional oil must be based on some very long OCI, as the BMW averaged out UOA results at 5K miles showed Castrol GTX 5/30 produced lower wear metal figures than M1.

No they don't, we've been over this
wink.gif
They show that in the narrow range sampled by the UOA, that there was less metal in suspension with GTX. That in no way means that there was less wear.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The Castrol Edge endurance test named M1 and then the engine using it blew up first, so I would have thought Mobil would have responded.

You obviously haven't been around here long. Mobil never responds to any of their competitors claims.
21.gif

Quote:
The graphs showing M1 wear rates vs conventional oil must be based on some very long OCI, as the BMW averaged out UOA results at 5K miles showed Castrol GTX 5/30 produced lower wear metal figures than M1.

wink.gif
They show that in the narrow range sampled by the UOA, that there was less metal in suspension with GTX. That in no way means that there was less wear.

Thank you, Skyship sometimes needs a bit of 'help'.

They tested in taxi engines (for the accord one)? Seems like those engines would be the happiest. Running at temperature ALL DAY, getting up to speed to keep the deposits out.

A lot different than 10 years of NYS cold starts

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
I really believe we are at the time when 10- 15k oil and filter oci's should be them norm. I- know...Amsoil did it first.

I thought we'd reached the 10K OCI long ago. Thats what i've been doing for some years using M1 or Amsoil (before they changed to the good, better, best oils). I always had other issues such as transmissions going bad that caused me to trade up but never any with the motors that were oil related. As far back as the 80's I ran 5K on conv oils. I Just don't understand 3-5K changes on good qual syn oil and filters. But thats just me; your milage may vary.

I should have said OEM norm.

Would you all say the average is about 7.5 K?

21.gif

Quote:

wink.gif

Overkill is right. A uoa is nothing more than a very narrow window into the condition of the oil in the engine its being used in. Without tear down of the engine nothing can be said for sure,unless of course your an expert like sunkship who no one listens to

"""No they don't, we've been over this They show that in the narrow range sampled by the UOA, that there was less metal in suspension with GTX. That in no way means that there was less wear."""

Well, if you say it doesn't mean less wear, say what it does mean

Originally Posted By: steve20
"""No they don't, we've been over this They show that in the narrow range sampled by the UOA, that there was less metal in suspension with GTX. That in no way means that there was less wear."""

My post you quoted clearly says what it does mean, you are just being obtuse.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Can't argue with those graphs...

Sure you can, since they are absolutely devoid of any useful facts/data.

It means less metal in suspension. Where the heck did the metal come from in the Mobil stuff and not be in the GTX?? I have seen GTX do well in other wear tests. So that might mean something but as always we cannot draw any conclusion.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
It means less metal in suspension. Where the heck did the metal come from in the Mobil stuff and not be in the GTX?? I have seen GTX do well in other wear tests. So that might mean something but as always we cannot draw any conclusion.
crazy.gif

The key phrase is IN SUSPENSION. Think about what that means and I think you'll understand what I'm getting at. If you don't, well, that's not my issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back