Mobil 1 - Why Synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/What_Is_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.aspx

Nice update to Mobil's webpage.

Top left has other categories.

Quote:
Engine Teardown

In a test using Mobil 1 synthetic oil in a Chevrolet Camaro SS V-8 running at 25,000 mile oil change intervals — 2-3 times longer than recommended by Chevy — there was excellent engine cleanliness and no noticeable engine wear.

Why_Synthetics_Sludge_Protection_Teardown_zps1f2acc5c.jpg

Why_Synthetics_High_Temperature_Chart_zpsa3048ee1.jpg

Why_Synthetics_Test_Piston_Chart_zpsf6e28616.jpg

While it's great that they ran it 25k in an LS motor, no one will ever do that. I typically run their 5w-30 to 5k-6k miles in my LS1 and the most I see people claim to run on the GTO forum is 7k on 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Pennzoil and Mobil both update their sites at almost the exact same time? Interesting.

They also both own half of Infineum
wink.gif

They share an additive supplier folks. Keep that in mind
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/What_Is_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.aspx
Nice update to Mobil's webpage.
Top left has other categories.
Quote:
Engine Teardown
In a test using Mobil 1 synthetic oil in a Chevrolet Camaro SS V-8 running at 25,000 mile oil change intervals — 2-3 times longer than recommended by Chevy — there was excellent engine cleanliness and no noticeable engine wear.

Why_Synthetics_Sludge_Protection_Teardown_zps1f2acc5c.jpg

Why_Synthetics_High_Temperature_Chart_zpsa3048ee1.jpg

Why_Synthetics_Test_Piston_Chart_zpsf6e28616.jpg

So not one comparison with another major brand oil. They don't even say what type of synthetic because I doubt very much that the comparison was with a major brand G4 full synthetic.
There is no point doing strip down tests if you don't have a comparison, because for all we know the engine would have lasted much longer with Castrol Edge, LM Synthoil, Shell Helix or even Amsoil.
The Castrol Edge endurance test named M1 and then the engine using it blew up first, so I would have thought Mobil would have responded.
The graphs showing M1 wear rates vs conventional oil must be based on some very long OCI, as the BMW averaged out UOA results at 5K miles showed Castrol GTX 5/30 produced lower wear metal figures than M1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: dparm
Pennzoil and Mobil both update their sites at almost the exact same time? Interesting.

They also both own half of Infineum
wink.gif

They share an additive supplier folks. Keep that in mind
whistle.gif

its not China after all. Its big oil hacking the interwebs.

More bar graphs without scales...

Quote:
In a controlled test, after 105,000 miles with 15,000-mile oil change intervals using Mobil 1 advanced fully synthetic oil, *most* engine parts in the 2010 Honda Accord LX 4-cylinder were still within new engine tolerances.

Emphasis mine...

Wonder which parts aren't most.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
I really believe we are at the time when 10- 15k oil and filter oci's should be them norm. I- know...Amsoil did it first.

I thought we'd reached the 10K OCI long ago. Thats what i've been doing for some years using M1 or Amsoil (before they changed to the good, better, best oils). I always had other issues such as transmissions going bad that caused me to trade up but never any with the motors that were oil related. As far back as the 80's I ran 5K on conv oils. I Just don't understand 3-5K changes on good qual syn oil and filters. But thats just me; your milage may vary.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
More bar graphs without scales...

Quote:
In a controlled test, after 105,000 miles with 15,000-mile oil change intervals using Mobil 1 advanced fully synthetic oil, *most* engine parts in the 2010 Honda Accord LX 4-cylinder were still within new engine tolerances.

Emphasis mine...

Wonder which parts aren't most.

pistons, crankshaft etc. lol

I have M1 HM in my Equinox now and the engine is running great. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back