Mobil 1 users check in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read quite a few threads, and I have started one myself about high mileage vehicles. I want this one to be unique. I want to know what you Mobil 1 users have gotten out of your vehicles. I want to hear the high mileage Mobil 1 stories........

I just started using Mobil 1 on my car with 10,000 miles on it. I am hoping to have good results with it, synthetic was the only oil I was willing to go 5,000 miles and for protection on cold start ups in winter. I seem to hear mixed reactions from people on mobile 1 on this board, although nobody says it is "bad" either.

I am using 5w-20 in a 2005 focus.

I had a 1999 Ford F150 with a 4.2 V6/5speed.
I sold the truck a few years back.Before I even new about this site or used oil analysis. When I sold it the mileage on it was 169,000 miles. I had been using Mobil 1 5w-30(summer)5w-20(winter) with Motorcraft filters.
I started using Mobil 1 @ 2500 miles. OCI@5000/6000 miles.
The truck was trouble free all those miles and did not consume or leak a drop of oil. And is still on the road today with over 200,000 miles. And the new owner is still using Mobil 1. I run into him a couple times a month and always ask how the old girl is running.

1995 Buick Park Avenue, 299,258 miles on M1 with 5K OCI. Never burned a drop of oil. Transmission went at above mileage. Car then donated to charity.

2004 Honda CR-V. Put Mobil 1 5W-20 in at 30,000 miles, 5k OCI. So far, less valvetrain noise, less oil consumption, and it was still amber when I changed it last weekend. The Castrol I used before would usually get down to the add mark before 5000 miles, but I didn't have to add a drop of Mobil and it was still near the full mark after 5000 miles. Guess I'll be sticking with it.

Bought my '93 Mazda MX6 2.0L at 81k miles. Ran M1 10w30 in it from then until about 185k. I'm at 200k now - burns/looses no oil between changes and meets or exceeps EPA highway ratings for my average fuel economy. Its a small sump, so I keep my OCI at 5k miles.

I ran two OCIs of PenzPlat and now two of MaxLife synthetic. I still have M1, but got a small stash of nearly free synthetic, so I'm switching between them.

I plan on keeping it for a couple more years, so I'll be at 250k+ when/if I decide to get another car.

My Dad started using the original formula Mobil-1 in his '79 Bobcat 2.3 4 cyl. I think it had around 12K on it when he decided ro make the change. He changed the filter every 5K and topped off as necessary, changed out oil and filter every 25K. At around 120K he noticed the valve cover leaking so my brother and I decided to change it for him, couldn't get over how clean it was inside. When he bought a new little LTD in '86 the mechanics at the Ford dealer were fighting over who would get it, he ended up donating it to a local church for one of their members who really needed a car. It had 174K then and ran like new, last we heard of it was over 250K and still going.

I use it in my wife's '01 Monte Carlo, and change by the OLM, but it only has 55K on it, too soon to draw any conclusions.

I've run Mobil 1 since it came out. The popular mechanics article of the time did it for me. That said...

I ran my 92 Hyundai Elantra out to 293K on the bottom end (timing belt broke on the first owner, it got new cams and valves on the original block and bottom) of the engine on M1 with Fram/Purolator/Wix filters over a nine year period. Did religious 3K OCI. I'm sure the M-1 was helpful, but...

Traded the Elantra on a new AccentGT, but now I run Pennzoil 5W20, PP 10W30, and soon, some GC I picked up in South Carolina this summer. All of the Pennzoil I scored from the Home Depot bonanza this summer.

My loyalty to M1 burned out owing to their piggish pricing of the last 7 months, AND the fact that my edumication here leads me to think 3K OCI M-1 was all a waste, and ANY (decent) oil I run will do the 300,000 mile trick, assuming reasonable OCI for a given blend of oil (5K OCI for Dino, much longer for Syn). Especially in an age of SM/GF4-quality assurance.

But that's just me..

I notice that most of the posters are changing out their M1 at 5-to 6000 miles. I do not consider this as really USING M1. Any decent dino should give the same result. Dino will give 200,000 to 300,000 miles, given 3,000 to 5,000 mile OCI's.

I used M1 from the time it came out back in the 70's until I retired a few years ago and quit commuting about 20,000 miles a year. The average 7,000 miles I drive a year now does not justify M1. I always changed my M1 once a year, usually 19 to 20 thousand miles. Like most everyone who uses M1 for extended OCI's, my engines always remained clean and quiet.

Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine, I forget which, once stated, about 25 tears ago, that synthetic oil was as good after being used 10,000 miles as regular oil was brand-new. Made sense to me, as the 10,000 mile M1 in my oil pan still had at least 10,000 more miles to go.

I never kept a car longer than about 7 years. This was 140,000 miles, and the engine was still as quiet as new. It would be interesting to hear of someone who used M1 like it was designed to be used for 200,000 to 300,000 miles. The person who keeps a car this long must, however, be a rare bird. At 20,000 miles a year, this would take 10 to 15 years, and 90% of new car buyers would have long ago traded for another new one.

quote:

Originally posted by 1999nick:
I notice that most of the posters are changing out their M1 at 5-to 6000 miles. I do not consider this as really USING M1.
I never kept a car longer than about 7 years. This was 140,000 miles, and the engine was still as quiet as new.

Irony alert
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
I've run Mobil 1 since it came out. The popular mechanics article of the time did it for me. That said...

I ran my 92 Hyundai Elantra out to 293K on the bottom end (timing belt broke on the first owner, it got new cams and valves on the original block and bottom) of the engine on M1 with Fram/Purolator/Wix filters over a nine year period. Did religious 3K OCI. I'm sure the M-1 was helpful, but...

Traded the Elantra on a new AccentGT, but now I run Pennzoil 5W20, PP 10W30, and soon, some GC I picked up in South Carolina this summer. All of the Pennzoil I scored from the Home Depot bonanza this summer.

My loyalty to M1 burned out owing to their piggish pricing of the last 7 months, AND the fact that my edumication here leads me to think 3K OCI M-1 was all a waste, and ANY (decent) oil I run will do the 300,000 mile trick, assuming reasonable OCI for a given blend of oil (5K OCI for Dino, much longer for Syn). Especially in an age of SM/GF4-quality assurance.

But that's just me..

Hey, this was posted while I was writing my previous post, and it raises a question: if you read the magazine article back then, why on earth were you changing out your M1 at 3,000 miles? If I were changing M1 at 3,000 mile intervals, I would have been complaining about the cost back then.

I run EP 5W-30 formula in my 02 and 06 V6 Accords and run them out to about 14K. I had a UOA on the 02 Accord done with about 12K on it, see UOA section, and it came back really good, so I'm now running it out longer. I use EP 10W-30 on my F150 5.4 and change it out about once every two years. Vehicle doesn't get used a lot, does a lot of sitting with not a lot of mileage. I figure it's worth it because of that, sitting for long periods of time.

I run Mobil1 0W-40 in my '96 Audi S6 2,2 TQ that has 110,000 miles. 2/3 of this distance has been run with Mobil1 0W-40. The other 1/3 has been with Castrol SLX 0W-30, RS 0W-40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, etc..

quote:

background
97SC1 100,000+ miles
oil consumption had increased slowly over time to approx 1000 mi/qt on 5W30.
no external leaks at all
driven by college kid, lots of short trips, occasional "road trips"
(I top up back to full mark when oil level gets to halfway point on the crosshatch)

Mobil 1 0W40 used approx 1 qt in 3500 miles

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55258

quote:

Hey, this was posted while I was writing my previous post, and it raises a question: if you read the magazine article back then, why on earth were you changing out your M1 at 3,000 miles?

To be honest, Nick, I could never tolerate the way oil, any oil, turns black and smells gassy, thick and grainy-feeling beyond 3 to 5 thousand miles. I'm working on it with synthetic, I'm, comfy enough with a 7500-10K OCI with syn, but 20K on M1? Or any syn? No chance. Maybe it's me, but I just can't believe the ad-pack is healthy beyond 10k, and the only way to figure THAT out is to UOA. Given that expense, especially the extra you pay for TBN, it's simpler, cheaper, and feeds into my paranoia to just go ahead and change it.

Plus, now, with a new Hyundai, 100K warranty, you can bet I'm changing at 7500 (or can produce receipts for oil AS IF)..

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
I'm, comfy enough with a 7500-10K OCI with syn, but 20K on M1? Or any syn? No chance. Maybe it's me, but I just can't believe the ad-pack is healthy beyond 10k, and the only way to figure THAT out is to UOA. Given that expense, especially the extra you pay for TBN, it's simpler, cheaper, and feeds into my paranoia to just go ahead and change it.

My unscientific recolection of UOAs that have been posted here indicates that M1's TBN would be too low before 20k miles have passed in most cases.

XS..
Were those UOAs on the EP, or standard M-1? The extended wasn't out last time I used M-1, but I don't think I could bear to leave THAT in for 20K either..

Note to all, I'm NOT knocking M-1, I'm not leaving ANY oil in beyond 10K. My gripe with M-1 is the price..

Sally Fields still looks pretty good for an old broad, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back