Mobil 1 Truck and Suv

Ran across this today at AAP. Haven't seen it before or even read anything about it on the forum. It appears to be a competitor for rotella gas truck. It was only available in the same weights as RGT and price was the same as RGT.

Anyone know anything about it?
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Nexoidian
Ran across this today at AAP. Haven't seen it before or even read anything about it on the forum. It appears to be a competitor for rotella gas truck. It was only available in the same weights as RGT and price was the same as RGT.

[Linked Image]

Yes, it will be on Clearance Dec 2020

Price wise it should be less than AP and right in the ballpark with EP but at $40 it's not going to make it.

Spec wise, it's a good thicker oil, at least in 30. A5/B5, 11.5 cSt, D1G2 approved, 3.0 HTHS. It doesn't distinguish itself all that much and perhaps that's the real issue, other than price. No reason to think it's not a good and worthy oil but the field is crowded.

Originally Posted by Flashlightboy
Price wise it should be less than AP and right in the ballpark with EP but at $40 it's not going to make it.

Spec wise, it's a good thicker oil, at least in 30. A5/B5, 11.5 cSt, D1G2 approved, 3.0 HTHS. It doesn't distinguish itself all that much and perhaps that's the real issue, other than price. No reason to think it's not a good and worthy oil but the field is crowded.

That's essentially vanilla M1 and HM M1 specs.

This sucks for people with CUVs. looks like the 5w20 doesnt get the pretty Dexos label.

I like the grilles of the vehicles..neither looks like a mopar though.

From the website

Formulated with high-performance base oils and a 10% boost in an additive that helps prevent deposit formation*

*Compared to Mobil 1â„¢ motor oil. Additive percentage may not correspond with percentage of engine protection benefits.

The 5w30 has a bunch more specs and approvals over the 0w20 and 5w20 on the site..

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-truck-and-suv

This should be on clearance by end of year.

Totally agree it's to compete vs Rotella Gas Truck. Might be some of the left over AP they couldn't sell at that egregious price.

It leaves me wondering why they don't give the "extra protection" for regular M1....like somehow they're leaving some protection out of the bottle....

If you ask me, all these multiple varieties is bad in the long run. People (non BITOG) are already baffled enough buying oil.

Rotella has a good spot for there Gas Truck oil. Rotella is well known in the diesel world and those users can pretty much now stick to one brand of oil if they are servicing gas engines. For Mobil 1, Truck and SUV is just another line of oil in there already multiple lines of oil for gas engines. To me, it makes more sense for Rotella to have it over Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'll be looking for the red tag closeout price this coming fall.

Originally Posted by parshisa

Yes, it will be on Clearance Dec 2020

I agree, hopefully Mobil has a rebate going on like RGT.

Originally Posted by NH73
Rotella has a good spot for there Gas Truck oil. Rotella is well known in the diesel world and those users can pretty much now stick to one brand of oil if they are servicing gas engines. For Mobil 1, Truck and SUV is just another line of oil in there already multiple lines of oil for gas engines. To me, it makes more sense for Rotella to have it over Mobil 1.

For those critical of marketing ? Here you go ^^^^

TSC had it for 25-something sitting next to Delvac for 13-something
(90% of the vehicles in their lot are LT's or SUV's)

Originally Posted by Nexoidian

[Linked Image]

For a thickie, just seems weird to use "extra protection" and "0w20" in the same sentence....‚

And that price makes M1 AP seem downright affordable.

Last edited:
It could be different now but I tried it about ten years ago in my Explorer Sport Trac and the UOA was worse than regular Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum.

Back