Mobil 1 TDT vs Mobil Delvac 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in running a different oil in my 08 Duramax. I had originally decided on Mobil 1 TDT as I've heard good things from other fellow Dmax owners. But looking at the specs between it and conventional Delvac 1300, I'm left scratching my head. The lesser 1300 has a higher flash point( 236 celcius vs TDT's 215) and 1300 has a HTHS of 4.3 while TDT is 3.8. The pour point of TDT is not listed while 1300 is at -30 celcius. Honestly, I know Mobil 1 has a great reputation for clean engines with little to no wear, but 1300 looks better in many areas besides being a conventional fluid(not always a bad thing). I would think that M1 would be giving better protection than it's non synthetic counterpart. Thought's?

Once or twice a year, Mobil had a 5 dollar off a gallon rebate on Delvac 1300 15w40. You can get quite of few gallons with this rebate offer.

This oil is a tried and true diesel oil. You can't go wrong with this oil and you will save some money as well.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
I am interested in running a different oil in my 08 Duramax. I had originally decided on Mobil 1 TDT as I've heard good things from other fellow Dmax owners. But looking at the specs between it and conventional Delvac 1300, I'm left scratching my head. The lesser 1300 has a higher flash point( 236 celcius vs TDT's 215) and 1300 has a HTHS of 4.3 while TDT is 3.8. The pour point of TDT is not listed while 1300 is at -30 celcius. Honestly, I know Mobil 1 has a great reputation for clean engines with little to no wear, but 1300 looks better in many areas besides being a conventional fluid(not always a bad thing). I would think that M1 would be giving better protection than it's non synthetic counterpart. Thought's?

The Delvac has certifications that TDT does not have.

We need a bit more information from you, but I'll just present this as an assumption based on some issues:
1) you're going to do normal OCIs by following the OLM or more frequent than that
2) you're still in AZ
3) you don't have any heavy mods that would grossly affect the engine performance
4) you're not using this in competition (sled pulling, drag racing, etc)

Please look at the many Dmax UOAs in our section, and you will come to the conclusion that the Dmax simply does not care what oil you use, as long as it's a properly spec'd fluid, under those conditions.

Of those two fluids, the 1300 is by far cheaper, and will provide every bit as much wear protection as the TDT.

In short, in normal use, in your situation, there is not any benefits you'll find using synthetic.

But .... Don't believe me!

Rather, do your own testing. Run several OCI/UOA cycles and post up your experiences and data. Why not prove it?

Last edited:
If I were in Arizona I'd use the 1300 and save some money.
If I were in a colder climate I might use the TDT.
In either case you will have good engine protection.

If you really want to run a synthetic in your DMax, Rotella T6 is my preference over M1 TDT. I've run both in my Cummins, and RT6 has lower consumption than TDT. RT6 has higher FP than TDT; 224C vs 215C. And higher HTHS; 4.0 vs 3.8.

Another 5w40 diesel oil that I've been looking at is Phillips Triton ECT. Its specs are another notch up from RT6; 240C flashpoint, and 4.2 HTHS. I haven't seen it in Michigan, but maybe it's easier to find out west?

Quote:
Phillips Triton ECT
I think it has all three brands on the label...Conoco, Phillips, & 76. You may need to find a ConocoPhillips distributor to find which retailers they're supplying it to, or can order cases of it for you.

Regarding use of a synthetic in Arizona...It depends on how hard & heavy that engine is being run. If run hard, the syn will give better protection at the hottest points inside the engine. The coolant temperature may stay in the green, but there are points inside the engine hotter than that, and the syn will protect better.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
Phillips Triton ECT
I think it has all three brands on the label...Conoco, Phillips, & 76. You may need to find a ConocoPhillips distributor to find which retailers they're supplying it to, or can order cases of it for you.

Regarding use of a synthetic in Arizona...It depends on how hard & heavy that engine is being run. If run hard, the syn will give better protection at the hottest points inside the engine. The coolant temperature may stay in the green, but there are points inside the engine hotter than that, and the syn will protect better.

Also, ConocoPhillips might be the company that makes Motorcraft diesel engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back