Mobil 1 SUV & Truck Formula!!! 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think it's lame that Mobil is marketing this as an SUV oil, however, it makes sense from a business perspective as most fall for this kind of thing. I belive though the differnce with this product and other oils that are for SUV's is the quality of oil that you are getting. As most know Mobil 1 is the only available OTC group IV oil on the market other then maybe GC. I say bring it on over!! It's about time the US gets some of these higher grade oils. I see a pattern here and that is look at GC and now all of a sudden Mobil 1 R and SUV formulas...hmmmm...higher HP cars on the rise and now all of a sudden better oils? Makes sense. For the cars that call for 20wts, I believe they are fine. But for a Porche Cayan, I'll take an A3 rated oil thank you.
grin.gif

Let's not forget that Mobil/Exxon has a line of different products in Europe. It wouldn't be hard for them to pick an already existing oil and market it elsewhere. I'd also like to point out that there are two kinds of M1 0W-40 in Europe. One for gas engines (should be the same as the one in the US/Canada), and one for diesel engines.

I'm actually real interested to see what the specs are on this oil. I checked the website but couldn't find a spec sheet. I figure if it's A3 rated and meets the VW 50x.xx specs I'll give it a shot, do an analysis, and see where it stands. If it doesn't meet the A3 specs... well then in that case I guess I'd pass.

Wondering if anyone was able to find the specs on the website... entirely possible that it's there and I just missed it.

Charlie

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
That's sooo upsetting...and I was hoping for a 0W-10 SUV formula
lol.gif

I know where you are coming from and I agree with you 100%, but let's not start anything....that subject is very delicate!
wink.gif

First of all, I'm an amateur compared to most people here, but I just thought of this:

Don't most SUV's and trucks use an engine that's also being used in the manufacturer's passenger car models?
or do those engines have SUCH vast differences in power/compression ratios in the suv/truck application, that they need a special formulation/grade of the oil?
if not, what's the point of a different grade of oil for the same or almost the same engine that's used in the pass. car?(imo, the most popular/widely sold suv/truck makers have multiple application of certain motors in their pass.car models AND suv's/trucks, and most of them hardly recommend a 5w/40 high perf. oil in those cars with THAT specific engine, so why the need for a different oil?(this may not be true for some exotic european car/suv makers, they do recommend high performance almost ALL of their engines, BUT think of the mid-range suv's/trucks...)

What suv's/tucks have an engine that's 100% exclusive to them, and is not used in pass.cars of the same maker?
....just a thought.

97 Tbird,

Sure My F150 SuperCrew has the same engine as in lets say a Crown Vic or Mustang, but my Truck weighs almost 6000 pounds, and ocasionally tows a Boston Whaler, so there is a much greater strain on the engine.

That being said, I think it is a marketing ploy and it won't influence my buying habits.

We need the data sheets. This might be a better oil, or it might be marketing hype. We'll know when we see the data.

Ken

Ken2, true, but it's most likely marketing hype.
frown.gif

If they were going to put re-bottled Delvac1 on the shelves along with other oils at Wal-mMart, what would they sell it for ... $7+ ??

Would the typical cheap, cheap, cheap Wal-Mart shopper pay that much?

I'm getting kinda nauseated with all the empty hype in this industry. We'll have some idea as to what's going on when we do some sort of analysis.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Nobody has mentioned that the M1 10w-30 used to be named "Higher-mileage formula" instead of the current "Multi-Vehicle formula". They've been in this marketing scheme before...

ferb!

I'll be focusing on the specs, not the front label. It's marketing and we know that and they all do it and have to do it to some degree. It's whats inside that counts.
wink.gif
Do I like it? No. Will I buy it if it's good? Absolutely. I use Amsoil and thats a classic example.

Heck I would really like Mobile to just add more esters to it's current line up! KInd of like Delvac1 with Moly,Boron and a touch of antimony!!!

If Mobil made an oil that was at least 40% ester based and had at least as much AW/EP additives as the current SS oils I would never bother with a boutigue oil again!

John,

Mobils problem is that they have to compete on price per quart with all the Group III synthetics that are on the shelf. The vast majority of synlube users have absolutely NO idea about basestocks, additive chemistries, etc. The ruling in favor of Castrol really screwed them over and very quickly sales of PAO basestocks dropped by 20%-30% in the US for use in PCMO's.

Mobil can clearly make an better - abeit more expensive - oil than Mobil 1 - I think that Delvac 1 is proof of that. However, if they try to sell Mobil 1 for $5.50/quart their national sales will drop off by 30%-50%. Many folks won't touch the M1, 0w-40 simply because they have to pay $5.00/qt for it at Autozone, rather than wait until it's on sale at Walmart in 5 quart jugs.

The majority of synthetics have become commodity products and the public has decided they should cost about $4.00/qt. So they price shop for synlubes the way they do for everything else ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

The specs for this stuff are available at, www.exxonmobil.com/pdssearch/search.asp, scroll down to Germany for the country and fill in mobil 1 in the second box. The 5/40 and 5/50 sheets seem to co-mingled. you have to go to both to get all the data. They do seem to be A-3 rated , VW 505 approved, with a pour point of -54C.

ARE synthetic oil buyers TYPICAL Walmart shoppers...?

Are synthetic oil buyers sensitive to price?

How important is it to a manufacturer to have their product in a big box chain like Walmart? (or Canadian Tire here in Canada)

If Mobile/Exxon bumped up the spec's of M1, and raised the price by 25-50 % , would anybody buy it? Would Walmart etc. carry it any more?

We need to remember that business is business, not charity. Sometimes the bigger picture (profits) determines the end product.

Just some thoughts...

Reality is IMO, that Mobil 1 is tough to beat bc they give you a great oil (PAO) for $4-$5qt with a good additive package. I don't see Amsoil leaps and bouds better RIGHT now. Amsoil had a huge lead over M1 when Trisynthetic was on the market. I do think the R oil is meant to target Amsoil/Redline. Mobil 1 is Amsoil's only road block to market dominance and Mobil knows that and will put up a good fight to not allow that to happen.

quote:

Originally posted by Sumerduckman:
The specs for this stuff are available at, www.exxonmobil.com/pdssearch/search.asp, scroll down to Germany for the country and fill in mobil 1 in the second box. The 5/40 and 5/50 sheets seem to co-mingled. you have to go to both to get all the data. They do seem to be A-3 rated , VW 505 approved, with a pour point of -54C.

I had done a research a couple of months ago. It is not a secret that mobil offeres a 5W40 in some
other countries like belgium
Belgium 5W40

or 5W50 in australia and argentina

5W50 argentina

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Mobils problem is that they have to compete on price per quart with all the Group III synthetics that are on the shelf.

cool.gif
Every time I've checked at Wally-World the Valvoline Synthetic cost more than the Mobil 1. At least here though they only carry the Valvoline in 10w-30.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by csp203:
Don't most new SUV's and 4x4's call for 5w-30 or even 5w-20?

These are my thoughts too. How many SUV manufacturer's require 5w-40? Mobil will never recommend a viscosity outside the manufacturer's recommendation, so where is the market for this oil? There isn't enough shelf space in retail stores for all the synthetic oil products Mobil already markets. Why introduce more?

It's a strange marketing tactic. Maybe it's for the new Cayans.
rolleyes.gif
I don't care what it's for, the fact that they are offering a 5w-40 is good news to me .
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back