Mobil 1 SUV & Truck Formula!!! 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of us speculated that when Mobil 1 dropped the statement on the bottles that it was good for motorcycles, and came out with a motorcycle specific oil, that it was just marketing - and profit. Mobil 1 20W50 is about double in price than it's cousin, 15W50.

I suspect the next product from them will be a "Long Life" or "Extended Life" oil for older cars with >75,000 miles. Gotta keep up with the Valvolines and the Pennsoils.

- Arved

- Arved

Given all the SUV's being sold, a very smart marketing move by Exxon. It will also give consumers who own SUV's confidence that they are buying the correct oil - It says so right on the bottle! No need to come on BITOG and spend hours debating oil or looking for GC.

quote:

Given all the SUV's being sold, a very smart marketing move by Exxon. It will also give consumers who own SUV's confidence that they are buying the correct oil - It says so right on the bottle! No need to come on BITOG and spend hours debating oil or looking for GC.

I could care less how ExxonMobil packages this oil. I bet most people on this board, if they worked for ExxonMobil would think this to be a wise decision as well. Marketing is part of the equation, lets face it. Look at Amsoil. I love their oils but I can't stand how that product is marketed at times. I also like the fact that Mobil 1 will tell you what your getting. Chasing down GC is not for me. Good oil though.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

You have no idea how much Mobil will charge for the R oil

While I am glad Mobil 1 is bringing out the new 0w30R, I can't see it being that much of a better deal than GC right now. GC is already priced less than regular Mobil 1, and you know the racing Mobil 1 will be priced at least a buck or two higher.

So as far as bang for the buck goes, GC is still hard to beat.

Only if you're in Canada...
grin.gif

I've checked every darn Autozone in the area. Nothing but dusty bottles of Syntec - Made in USA. No German anything.
frown.gif

Seriously, the good part of this it that Mobil will probably distribute it everywhere. I was thinking about going to Rotella-T 5w-40 synthetic in one of my vehicles because I have to drive 50 miles just to get some Delvac-1 to try...

There is no shortage of Mobil 1 in Canada, but why would anyone buy that oil when superior EssoExxon PAO/ester synthetics are available?

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
There is no shortage of Mobil 1 in Canada, but why would anyone buy that oil when superior EssoExxon PAO/ester synthetics are available?

Because Mobil 1 is everywhere around here, and the Esso stuff is NOWHERE. Not even Esso stations have it.

It would be great if this stuff did turn out to be repackaged D1, 'cuz right now I'd have to drive about 50 miles & pay more than $7/qt for D1 (which I won't do with the other oil choices currently available). D1's additive pkg is similar to Saab's OE formulation for their 0W-30 full syn (& 5W-30 semi syn), so I'd prefer to use D1 over the M1 0W-40 I'm currently using. Plus, the viscosity & durability are a better match for Saab's oil-shredding turbos.

If it does end up being repackaged Delvac 1 (which I'm sure we'll find out here instantly since someone will do a VOA) then it'll at least come in single 1qt bottles. The current 4qt jugs are a pain for most people unless your oil capacity is exactly that much and you need no top up oil between changes.

Buster - I NEVER said you are biased. In fact I have seen you bend over backwards for Amsoil....then two sentences later body slam them on a stair rail. That's my first point. You are either jumping around like this guy
fruit.gif
or screaming
itschy.gif

Just settle down. Nothing wrong with your post. I was news to me, and actually (contrary to what some may think) I hope this and the 0W-30R will be a great oil. The second point is that you seem to have the formula and price down (even though you write that you are merely speculating).

Just wait and see, I doubt M1 will rush to market, because you (or even BiTOG) wants the stuff. Be the first to run a VOA and a UOA! Maybe see if you can be a street beta tester or something.

Your right, I should settle down and stop speculating. But just let it be known, I love Amsoil!! I once again, swithced my case of S2k with for 2cases of ASL with a local Amsoil direct jobber for my car and the wife's. My car is old and buring oil so throwing $7qt Redline down is too much.

I really like Amsoil and I think they make the best oils out there but I will criticize some of there marketing methods. They all do it though so I'm not saying others are better. I just don't like the four ball wear test. Smaller the wear scar the better protection should be followed by "in this benchmark test".
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:

Because Mobil 1 is everywhere around here, and the Esso stuff is NOWHERE. Not even Esso stations have it.

What exactly is this Esso/Exxon superior stuff that uf has brought up a few times? Any UOA's on this or is it just speculation about something that seems to be unobtainable??

Jsharp
HMMMMM, that would be 7 1/2 notes above middle C.
The Exxon stuff is like M-1 used to be before it became a department store oil.

There was some speculation, and posted on another discussion board, that with the merge of Mobil and Exxon, the latter may influence the quality of the consumer synthetic products for the better.
As far as I know, EssoExxon was the first company to devolop and market an HDMO PAO/ESTER blend synthetic 0W40 and 0W30.
Other oil companies followed quickly with group III HDMO 0W30 and XXW40 offerings, that quite likely needed a viscosity corrector and/or VI improver.
Mobil's Delvac 1 5W40 (and 15W50, which was dropped) were introduced about the same time in an attempt to market synthetics to truckers.
Delvac 1 is a commercial product where Mobil 1 is a consumer product and blended to meet a price point instead of a performance standard, which PAOs were originally known for.

Without knowing the facts, we can only speculate that the recient and numerous blending changes to consumer Mobil 1 was an attempt to lower the production costs and price for the retail market.

Exxon on the other hand is never seen in department stores, and is very expensive for gas station managers to justify stocking considering the rate the product is shoplifted. (inventory shrinkage)
Besides, nobody can afford a car synthetic that is expensive as Delvac 1 at gas station prices.
Twenty dollar VOAs will only tell the additive package typicals, and not the base oil particulars other than viscosities and flash point.

I believe that lighter base oils cost less to manufacture whether synthetic or conventional.
A product of either discription could then be made cheaper by using a very light base oil then adding a small amount of a very high "viscosity corrector" to bring the formula up to the desired final viscosity.
Conventional engine oils may use bright stock (brite) and VI improvers blended with a very light base oil to arrive at a desired viscosity.
Tri-synthetic may, could, perhaps, been just a smoke and mirror attempt to pull one over on the consumer and lower the retail price to compete with group III synthetics......
Tit for tat. If you can call a group III a synthetic, then we can play that game too with PAO blends.
Nobody told any lies as there could be a three blend synthetic in the bottle.
A very light base oil, an ester additive carrier/seal conditioner, and a very viscous synthetic corrector.

German Castrol and a few others may be single grade (cut if you will) PAO synthetics that are already the desired viscosity of the finished product with the added ester additive carrier.

If that and/or anything I have written above is true, then the non-blended products are the better and more expensive ones to produce, and the final price to the consumer will again be higher.

[ November 05, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

UF,

You can actually get a pretty good idea of the molecular weight (and quality), of the basestock blend, simply from looking at spec sheets. One of the main things I look for is Noack volatility, within a particular SAE grade. Lighter basestocks simply evaporate more easily at high temps ....If you can find data on weight loss from the "simulated distillation" test @ 371C/700F, it's also very revealing ....

Noack Volatility @ 250C:

Mobil 1, 10w-30 ...8.8%
Redline 10w-30 ...6.0%
Amsoil 10w-30 ...5.5%

There are various quality levels of PAO basestocks - generally those with higher VI's and lower volatility are more expensive. Higher molecular weight (thicker), PAO and ester basestocks are more expensive as well - they simply require more time and energy consumption to catalyze. This is why an "ISO 150" (50wt), synthetic compressor fluid is significantly more expensive than an "ISO 32" (10wt) fluid. It's also one reason why a 75w-140 gear lube is more expensive than a 75w-90 product.

Another needed weight from Mobil1.
Now they just need to add 10w40 highmileage SUV/Truck/oilburner/oldcar formulas.

I bet that the VOA will allow it to fit nicely in this thread
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000095

Think of the results:
delvac1 + moly
or,
0w40 - pour point(anti)depressants

I seriously doubt that it would be repackaged Delvac1. I also doubt that the formula will change compared to other Mobil1 oils.

Mobil1 must've hired some marketing gurus from castrol or valvoline.

Tooslick;
Excellent post.
I think that some of the better synthetic formulas get a bad rap because they "shear" out of grade faster than some of the others.
The smoke and mirrors part is that all the synthetic base oils shear at about the same rate, however the "racing, motorycle, and performance" blends and brands do not contain cheap low boilers and light weight base oils that evaporate off as the service interval proceeds that counter the thinning affect of oil shear.
Oils may and do thicken from the evaporative or low ends boiling off, contminate loading, and oxidation.
Balancing those thickening trends with the oil's shear rate is the trick.
A formulator can make a bad oil look good if the balance is right.

Pablo, correction, it's the only OTC Group IV + V oil. The problem is, you guys all have your biases to some degree.
smile.gif
Which is perfectly fine. I'm being nice about this. Pablo, you sell Amsoil and Patman has no access to hardly any Mobil 1 in Canada, so I can see why you guys are not excited. But here in the US, if Mobil offers a racing oil, or oil with awesome specs for $7qt, it will be a huge step in the direction everyone has wanted them to go. Everyone has ripped M1 for not being A3 rated and having the addtive package that others have. Now they will. GC is easy to beat bc I can't find the stuff!! There is a reason guys why Mobil 1 is the world's leading synthetic motor oil and that is performance, availability and performance. I'm not a Mobil spokesperson but I call it like I see it.

I love how I'm criticized one day of being biased towards Amsoil then the next day Mobil 1. What does that tell you? It tells you I have no biases!! I have supported all oils and do support them. I think Mobil 1 made the right decision. People need to stop criticising M1 and look at some of the stupid things Castrol and Amsoil do.

The will continue to sell the $4qt M1 for daily driver cars and that is fine. Now they can offer a high end oil for $7qt to shup people up about M1 being to inadequate.

[ November 05, 2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:
Has anyone seen a soccer mom pushing the limits of her SUV ?? That big V8 must be really working up some heat in order to get the kids to the game. Maybe the oil gets a real beating while she backs up 5 times to get the big thing into a parking space.

lol.gif
That gave me a good laugh!

I also don't see a need to market it as a specific light truck/SUV motor oil.

FWIW...I noticed Havoline Synthetic also comes in a 5w-40 and actually has a lower pour point than their 5w-30 synth. Oh, I know....it's a G III not a G IV/V.
rolleyes.gif

Mikep

I just looked at the Mobil 1 German website, and they list a 5-40 and 5-50 passenger car oil. So maybe Exxon/Mobil is re-labeling their Euro oil for US markets? Now you can have German M1 to go with your German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back