Mobil 1 SUV & Truck Formula!!! 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
It snowed in Denver fairly recently. Don't worry-by late January there should be plenty of snow in the mountains.

I am glad that you agree with me that 15,000 mile/one year oil changes with Amsoil make good sense.

Mystic,

As a practical matter, the average driver will put 12k-16k on their car annually. Amsoil performs very consistently over those sorts of drain intervals, even with a fair amount of in town, stop and go driving. For engines under warranty, I recommend sticking to the max drain intervals recommended, which are now 7500-10,000 miles for most cars. If you have a German car with an oil monitor and large sump, you can safely change on the basis of that monitor. That will typically trigger a change between 10k-15k for BMW's and 12k-20k for the Mercedes system.

You CAN run drain intervals longer than 15k with Amsoil and still get excellent wear rates and good engine cleanliness. The main reason I don't like to do it is that you are going to see some normal thickening due to oxidation/nitration between 15k-25k miles, ie the total solids level will get pretty high. This tends to reduce fuel efficiency by a few percent towards the latter part of the drain interval. Amsoil formulates their lubes to far exceed the CCS limits, so it will rarely go out of grade in that respect. For example, their 5w-30 might thicken to a 5w-40 after 20,000 miles ....

Simply put, you'll get better performance with ANY oil if you don't run it out to the limit. The 25,000 mile drain interval with Amsoil would roughly correspond to a 7500 mile drain interval with a good, Group II petroleum oil. It's achievable under ideal conditions, but I don't think it's something you should attempt as a general practice.

A little sleep does wonders for my typing ...
wink.gif

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

The only way I'd run drains past 15k miles would be with Rx as a maintance dose and to use LC. There is a guy on here who does 250miles a day and put 17k miles on M1 and the results were excellent. I'd expect those results to similar with Amsoil. There are many things to factor in such as how you drive and you sump capacity as JD Tooslick has stated. If you drive like an old woman, then I can see pushing drains further. My question is why extend drains that far when oil is so f'n cheap and it take no more then 40mins to do an oil change? It might be cost effective, but down the road it might come back to haunt you as your engine will no doubt have crap left over from the oils. No oil can keep your engine perfectly clean which is why others recommend Rx added to the oil. 8-10K is the farthest I would ever want to go. I also drive very hard.

Buster,

I've run the same batch of amsoil for two full years between changes on several occasions and it still tested out fine. In fact,the last time I ran the Series 3000, 5w-30, it was for two years and 21,000 miles.

I strongly advise against adding anything to any oil ...For example, if you add a can of Marvel Mystery Oil to Amsoil, you can actually get it to gel into something that looks like Sterno fuel. Organic chemistry isn' something you want to mess with, unless you can afford to replace engines occasionally.

Amsoil works just fine, provided you are using the correct product and drain interval for the operating conditions.

[ November 14, 2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Another needed weight from Mobil1.
Now they just need to add 10w40 highmileage SUV/Truck/oilburner/oldcar formulas.

Yes, please! Repackage the MX4T motorcycle oil they have, and put it on the shelf at half the price :).

I'd buy it! By the caseload (and use it in my motorcycle, of course).

- Arved

Is this it?

MOBIL Synt S 5w-40

ACEA A3-98/B3-98
API SJ/CF,
BMW Long Life Oil
MERCEDES-BENZ 229.1
VW500.00/505.00

Pour Point: -48 degr C
Viscosity at 100 degr C: 14.5

When will it be out in the US?

I don't think that's going to be the formulation, since there is too much "overlap" between that oil and their 0w-40 and 15w-50.

I'd look for something that's SL/CI-4 rated for use in pickup truck diesel engines. That's really where the market is for an SAE 5w-40 grade in the US ....

Tooslick
dixie synthetics

grin.gif
Thanks Yannis. Yep, Mobil is listening to me. So in that case, heres another request: Make all your 30wt oils A3 rated, stop giving into the API and make sure your 0w-30 R is the real deal and kicks @ss. Thanks and I look forward to your new products.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:
Has anyone seen a soccer mom pushing the limits of her SUV ??-*-*

Man If my wife had a car, and she did that, I would be real worried, those gals dirve like crazy. Always got either some food in their hand, a phone to their ear, and swerving or riding the line to the lane while looking in the back seat or something... I don't like being near them.

I bet some of these rich Princeton NJ soccer moms will push there Porche Cayans a bit. I agree with the others though and that Mobil is CLEARLY contradicting themselves with this. Most cars and trucks, especially Hondas and Fords are calling for 20wts...so why is Mobil bringing this out? Weird marketing. I'd label it as High Performance Truck Oil. That makes more sense.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
-*-*so why is Mobil bringing this out? Weird marketing. -*-*.

NO, there are more Trucks sold than cars.
Trucks being Suv's etc.
It's a big market, and if the average consumer will buy the ADS then they have got a customer that will be use to searching only TRUCK oils... this narrows the gap and gives them a chance at that market.

Buster,

As the late Mr Rogers would put it ..."Can you say pandering? ...I knew you could ..."
wink.gif

Tooslick

Easy on the JD TS.
wink.gif

[ November 22, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Designed for use in both gasoline and diesel engines, Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula protects hard-working truck and SUV engines in high temperature conditions while delivering unsurpassed cold-start protection. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula uses special additives designed specifically to keep light truck and SUV engines cleaner than conventional motor oils by providing exceptional resistance to high-temperature varnish and low temperature sludge deposits that can dirty an engine and rob performance. It also provides outstanding wear and corrosion protection for critical engine parts.

It's clear by reading this that the new SUV oil is going to be Delvac 1 repackaged. Diesel and gas compatible and engine cleanliness also allude to this being Delvac 1. Fine by me. This along with 0w-30 R is going to be sweet.

Based on popular opinion, I'd love to see this new SUV oil be a repackaged Delvac 1. Better base stock, detergent and more ZDDP. Does anyone think it will be? I don't think it can have the same level of ZDDP though and be API right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back