Mobil 1 SuperSyn or Amsoil XL-7500???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1994 Honda Accord EX with aprox. 92K on it.

I use Mobil 1 5W30 SuperSyn and change the oil as specified for severe service in the owners manual (every 3,750 miles).

I was thinking about switching to Amsoil XL-7500. Which oil is better? Should I just stick to Mobil 1?

Am I changing the oil way too much with Mobil 1? Can Mobil 1 last longer than this? I called the Mobil 1 tech line and they stated to follow your owners manual.

Thanks for the advice as I am obviously a novice here.

I recently read an article written in Lubes-n-Greases, March Issue, that the same oil recommended for 7K mile drains in the states, is recommended for 10K mile drains in Europe; whether that is fact or not I do not know. It is interesting to note that Honda now recommends up to 10K mile drains in their 2003 models; does anyone have an oil to go that far ?

I'd venture a guess here and say that for the spring-summer-fall seasons here you probably could safely extend your changes based on what we're seeing here. Only way to know for sure is to have it analyzed, but in general, that shouldn't be a problem.

In the winter,, I'd stick with the severe duty schedule, as I am one of those who has seen his winter intervals get destroyed by the cold weather - wear has been fine, but TBN depeltion has been a serious issue, limiting the extended drain opportunites.

As far as which oil is better - I wonlt venture there except to say that if Mobil 1 is working fine and you have no issues, why change? Its also more readily availible (though it seems Amsoil is popping up in parts stores all over around here, as well as Mills Fleet Farm) and comes at price tag generally lower than Amsoil.

Mobil 1 is "better" its a true synthetic. Amsoil XL is a group III (not a "true" synthetic). Of course Mobil will tell you to follow the manual-what would you expect.
dunno.gif
However you can go the full length of time/milage with the Mobil. That means you can go double the amount you are now going (unless you or your car is doing something wierd). Nothing against Amsoil-great line of oils, but XL is not their finest.

Stick around "novice" - you'll learn.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

With that short of an interval, why not just use a good proved petroleum oil?

Either of the two oils listed would work fine for you.

I would tend to think that the M1 is a better oil as it is a real synthetic oil, the XL-7500 series from Amsoil is a group III oil (hydrotreated/cracked petroleum oil legally allowed to be called synthetic oil.) XL-7500 looks to be a good oil and is designed to go 7500 miles but we have not seen many UO analysis' on this oil.

As for the 10K mile question, any of the good true synthetics can go 10K miles.

Pablo:

Do you think I'd be OK with a dino oil such as Penzoil? I've heard Penzoil's dino 5W30 pour point is -44F.

I'm concerned about cold temp. flow because of the extreme winters my car experiences.

MinnesotaNole;

I've had a similar dilemma. Don't drive too much, but not comfortable with going the "maximum mileage or time" per Mobil's web site. Plus, a mile is not the same if it's short trips, in the winter etc.

My conservative "no brainer" plan is to change M1 every Oct & April. I don't imagine doing more than 7500 miles per interval (and to get 7500,there would have to be some decent trips in there) so it's an ideal fit for me.

Mobil's site implies you could go a year of short trips, I figure changing every 6 months more than compensates for that.

Good luck;
Matt

[ June 24, 2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Matt89 ]

Good point on the location, MnNole. Between your name and your From: that one shouldn't have slipped by me.

I would use a REAL synthetic 5W-30 like Amsoil ASL or M1.

How does Amsoil 7500 series engine oils compare in price to the REAL synthetics?
Someone posted the base oil prices per gallon of the various groups.
If I remember correctly, the group IIIs were not that much more expensive than the IIs which would put the wholesale price of a litre of engine oil up about $0.35 (cents).
An article I read about a month ago predicted that group III world wide production will outpace demand for the next several years.
The same article stated that the far East Asian group IIIs manufactured from cracker bottoms (slack wax) is a superior product than the North American group III base oils.
Can anyone comment or correct my post if it is inaccurate?

quote:

How does Amsoil 7500 series engine oils compare in price to the REAL synthetics?

They are decent, but no Group III will out perform a PAO based, true synthetic. Amsoil uses very nice additive packages with there oils, but even without looking at specs., M1 would hold up much longer due to its better base oil.

M1 SuperSyn has done a prety good job at protecting engines. I am baseing this on UOA reports posted on this site. I have not seen any UOA of Amsoil that really impressed me especialy when you look at the price difference and shipping charges. I also have to add that Amsoil does not have a robust barrier additive like M1. I am not saying that Amsoil is no good I just think that it is slightly over hyped and over priced.

quote:

M1 SuperSyn has done a prety good job at protecting engines. I am baseing this on UOA reports posted on this site. I have not seen any UOA of Amsoil that really impressed me especialy when you look at the price difference and shipping charges. I also have to add that Amsoil does not have a robust barrier additive like M1. I am not saying that Amsoil is no good I just think that it is slightly over hyped and over priced

I completely agree. I do like Amsoil and think S3k is a great oil, but I think we have seen the new M1 SS do a better, more consistant job. 3MP's study should reveal more. There both excellent products and you can't go wrong with either one. At this point it comes down to price. 5qt. jugs at Walmart for $19 is tough to beat IMO. BTW, it was noted that taking 4oz samples each time equated to the car only using 1-1.5qts of oil over 12k miles. That is very good, especially for as thin as M1 is.

[ June 24, 2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

If you decide to run Amsoil in this application, I'd run their regular 5w-30 "ASL" and change the oil/filter every 7500 miles. I do think the XL-7500 is better than the other group III synthetics out there, but the regular 5w-30 uses an even better PAO basestock and a significantly more robust additive chemistry. For example, the TBN of ASL is about 12.5, vs 10.0 for the XL-7500. The PAO based product should also maintain it's cold flow properties better.

BTW if you want to stick with Mobil 1 and change it every 3750 miles, that should work fine as well.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
The same article stated that the far East Asian group IIIs manufactured from cracker bottoms (slack wax) is a superior product than the North American group III base oils.
Can anyone comment or correct my post if it is inaccurate?

This is correct. These base oils are called "wax isomerates," and while still Group III, they are not the same thing as typical hydrocracked Group III. The CAS# is even different.

Shell's XHVI base oil is produced from slack wax, and the XHVI they produce in Malyasia uses GTL waxy raffinate for the feedstock. You wind up with a better base oil using this process because you're starting with a better feedstock (from the standpoint of purity and saturates).

ExxonMobil's ExxSyn is a wax isomerate. There is also a company in Korea that produces it too, but I can't think of the name at the moment.

It's a "no brainer". Stick w/M1.

Amosil XL7500, $5.20/qt + shipping, Fake synthetic, Group III

Mobil 1 qt at Walmart + no shipping, Group IV, real synthetic

And you wonder why I have NEVER sold any XL7500...

Al says it's for the "quick lube" market.

Doesn't sell there either in my part of the country.

Become a preferred customer and buy real synthetic (ASL, ATM, AME) Amsoil for about the same price as M1 and have it delivered to your door. Never have to worry abouts store special sales, the store running out, etc...the shipping cost is not that high by the case.

[ June 27, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Al says it's for the "quick lube" market

Al needs to have his head examined. I've never seen this stuff anywhere at a quick lube place. Pennzoil owns that market.

I'll keep looking, but I haven't seen any Amsoil 10 minute oil change facilities either.

Maybe Al should consider it. With the interest in boutique oils and filters maybe Amsoil should try opening some service centers in the trendier neighborhoods.

Wouldn't the crowd that visits these places want top shelf oil too???

The problem is, Amsoil is selling an Group III oil more then Mobil 1, which is clearly better. If Amsoil were to sell this at a more competitive price maybe around 2-$3 a qt, I could see it doing well. Amsoil doesn't sell much of the XL line at all from the dealers I have spoken too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back