Mobil 1 regular formula vs Mobil 1 Truck and Suv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any actual differences between Mobil 1 regular, and Mobil 1 "truck and suv formula" (per Mobil's website, they both have 800 / 900 ppm of phosphorous and zinc respectively), but I'm not sure if there are other differences...that was the only spec I could find on their site.

Using the regualar, so far, in a 2002 Silverado with the 5.3, and tow a trailer daily

Mobil is presuming that trucks & SUV's are heavier than passenger cars which would in turn put a little bit more of a stress on an engine and most people who tow would also be using trucks and suv's so they put a little bit more of anti-wear additives. I am also going to presume without verifying that T&SUV oil viscostiy at 40 and 100C would be a tad bit higher too. I also believe that it may have a tad bit more detergents to keep the engine cleaner since they may run a tad bit hotter than passenger cars with added weight/towing.

what are the anti-wear additives that are higher in the truck and suv formula in this case? According to their website, phosphorous and zinc content is identical to the regular formula at 800/900ppm respectively...my understanding is that these are the anti-wear additives. The only oil they offer with higher amounts of these particular additives (in the 5w30)is the High Mileage formula, which is an SL spec and I'm not sure that it's even available now, with the reduction in these additives being mandated for SM oils "to save catalytic converters"

Last edited:
This is a bit odd...

looked into it further, on the Mobil 1 website and found this:
Mobil 1 regular formula:

Mobil 1 5W-30
SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 64.8
cSt @ 100º C 11.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 169
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.09
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 5949 -48
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.80

and, Mobil 1 Truck and Suv formula:

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 64.8
cSt @ 100º C 11.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 169
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.09
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.86

In the specs, it appears as though the truck and suv formula has a lower pour point, identical viscosity and cst's, identical HTHS, with a slightly higher density at 15Celcius - 0.86 vs 0.80 for the regular formula...

With all that in mind, where are the benefits for a truck or suv hauling a load? Only in the density? The HTHS is identical, and the sulfated ash percentage being identical suggests a very similar overall formula, unless I'm missing something else...

Mobil 1 says the 5W-30 and 5W-30 TSUV are identical with the following exceptions: TSUV has a very little more boron, a very little more moly, and somewhat more antioxidant. Identical base oil, identical phosphorus, identical zinc, etc. According to Mobil 1 the TSUV tolerates heat a little better than regular 5W-30.

thanks for the info...very specific. (still laughing at your signature quote lol!!)

so, with that in mind, is it enough to make a real world longevity difference, in your opinion?

I think we saw from 1 or 2 VOAs that the T&SUV has a TBN closer to the extended performance M1 flavors.

thanks for the info, and I'm glad you brought that up...what exactly is TBN? I know it starts off high and goes low as the oil is used, and you want to change it before it gets depleted, but for some reason I was thinking that TBN was a spec relating to dino based oils...

and, is Mobil 1 a group IV oil, making it "fully synthetic" by any standard, or is it similar to the Castol Syntec in that regard (hope I don't cause a huge fuss over that question lol)

Syntec is a grp 3 where all M1 oils are 4. With that said M1 does blend their oils with different grps which makes for a better oil for the average engine.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Syntec is a grp 3 where all M1 oils are 4. With that said M1 does blend their oils with different grps which makes for a better oil for the average engine.
Tig1, we assume they use GRP-4 and GRP-III oils but we don't know for sure and how much because they are so secretive.
frown.gif

StevieC

Buster recently posted a blip from Mobil about their base oils and they are a complicated blending of stocks. Mobil tech did tell me last year all M1 oils are considered grp4. Yes, M1 doesn't reveil their exact formulations for good reason. As M1
does,for the most part, lead in formulation changes for factory fills, all other oil producers will only release info that make the consumer think he is getting the scoop on their formulations when in reality the customer doesn't have a clue what's in an oil. It's the old shell game.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Mobil 1 says the 5W-30 and 5W-30 TSUV are identical with the following exceptions: TSUV has a very little more boron, a very little more moly, and somewhat more antioxidant. Identical base oil, identical phosphorus, identical zinc, etc. According to Mobil 1 the TSUV tolerates heat a little better than regular 5W-30.

Is it as good as the HM M1 though???

It looks like it goes from Regular M1 5w30 (cheap and we can get away with it) to M1 T&SUV (eh, we better not screw around with these guys, make a decent but more costly formulation)

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
with a slightly higher density at 15Celcius - 0.86 vs 0.80 for the regular formula...

0.80?! That's disgusting. Lowest density I've ever seen in any oil!!

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: FrankN4

Is it as good as the HM M1 though???

Not for me it would not be. The HM has a heavier base oil with a HTHS of 3.66. It has a little better 100C of 11.79 vs 11.3. It has higher zinc and phosphorus at 1000, higher moly, higher boron, higher detergent package, and equal or better antioxidant. HM is a much more heavy duty oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back