Mobil 1 Truck & SUV and oil pressure question -Ram

I’m using Mobil 1 extended performance 5w20 in my 2019 Ram Classic 5.7 Hemi and have oil pressure when hot at 26-27 psi idle and 46-47 psi at 75 mph. It’s low by 5+ psi compared to many folks I’ve talked to. I’ve heard that Mobil1 Truck & SUV is a bit thicker so maybe a few more psi using it?????? Ideas ????

Also, when i start the truck, the oil pressure gauge on the dash jumps to the middle but the oil can also displayed on the dash generally stays red until i put it into drive. Should i be worried???

The truck only has 47,000 miles with not ticking or lifter noise. I’m just worried that there in a pending issue but it’s under power train warranty (certified) to100,000 miles.
Thanks

Those in dash oil pressure gauges aren’t extremely accurate. Throw some QSUD 5W30 or original Mobil 1 5W30 and call it good.

I thought about 5w30 but the owners manual specs only 5w20. While it is under warranty i am unsure about not following the mopar specs.

Weren't there some vids on youtube of Hemi issues that were unresolved from the manufacturer?
IIRC, it's not about lubrication or oil weight.
:unsure:

Weren't there some vids on youtube of Hemi issues that were unresolved from the manufacturer?
IIRC, it's not about lubrication or oil weight.
:unsure:
There were some horribly inaccurate hot takes by some youtube personalities if that's what you are alluding to?

I’m using Mobil 1 extended performance 5w20 in my 2019 Ram Classic 5.7 Hemi and have oil pressure when hot at 26-27 psi idle and 46-47 psi at 75 mph. It’s low by 5+ psi compared to many folks I’ve talked to. I’ve heard that Mobil1 Truck & SUV is a bit thicker so maybe a few more psi using it?????? Ideas ????

Also, when i start the truck, the oil pressure gauge on the dash jumps to the middle but the oil can also displayed on the dash generally stays red until i put it into drive. Should i be worried???

The truck only has 47,000 miles with not ticking or lifter noise. I’m just worried that there in a pending issue but it’s under power train warranty (certified) to100,000 miles.
Thanks
26-27psi at idle is fine. Every engine is a bit different. There's absolutely no value in chasing a few PSI of oil pressure, it isn't going to meaningfully impact how your engine wears, which is more dependant on the additive package.

If you are seeing oil pressure but the little light is on, I wouldn't be worried, may just be a quirk? The gauge gets pressure from right off the oil filter housing, so just beside the pump, while the pressure light trigger may be a separate switch elsewhere on the engine.

What filter are you using?
Oil filter has nothing to do with oil pressure unless:
1) The filter is so clogged that it puts the oil pump into pressure relief ... or,
2) The oil pressure sensor is located before the oil filter.

I highly doubt either one of those things are true.

Thanks
Mine reads 48/49 at 75mph.
Not much difference from yours. That’s with M1 0w20.

Would you be willing to try a FRAM Titanium, to see if it makes a difference? It shouldn't, but might be worth the sake of doing the experiment on your next oil change.
Best way to do a filter check would be to install a different filter without changing the oil. Changing both oil and filter at the same time puts two variables at play.

I agree, there's no real reason the oil filter should make a difference with a PD pump, unless 1) or 2) in post #14 is going on.

You mentioned not using 5W30 oil because of warranty concerns. If the truck is still under warranty bring it back and let them sort out the problem with the "oil can light" staying red. At least this way the problem, if there really is a problem it's documented. If the truck is out of warranty you can certainly bump up a grade if you choose to.

I’m old school and change oil every 4000 miles and the filter. Ive used mobil1 filters, napa, wix and oem. The results are always the same.

Oil can: on the bottom of the screen that shows the oil pressure, coolant and oil temperatures and transmission temperature, there is a small symbol for oil pressure. It looks like a small oil can. It starts out with a ref light on startup but does not change until well after the engine is running and I’ve put the truck into gear. The oil gauge jumps to the midpoint immediately on startup. Seems like the oil can light should go out immediately also and i don’t understand any delay.

1664716358608.png

Back