Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: atc250r
Someone asked for proof that others, besides Me, have had Mobil 1 consumption issues. And I provided.

Nothing more, nothing less.

OK, fair enough.

That said, there are a huge number of users, myself included, who have used it in a wide variety of applications without experiencing this phenomenon.

Hilarious thread!

But regarding consumption, we run M1 when it's on sale. No change in our fleet trucks despite some of them being VERY high mileage.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Someone asked for proof that others, besides Me, have had Mobil 1 consumption issues. And I provided.

OK, fair enough.

That said, there are a huge number of users, myself included, who have used it in a wide variety of applications without experiencing this phenomenon.

Hilarious thread!

But regarding consumption, we run M1 when it's on sale. No change in our fleet trucks despite some of them being VERY high mileage.

Synthetic in a high mileage? Aren't you concerned about the gaskets leaking
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
How does REDLINE oil compare to Castrol and M1?

As much more expensive.
wink.gif
There are applications where Red Line is pretty darn good, but for the average vehicle, it's overkill. Also, applications that require the latest API/ILSAC specifications for warranty purposes (not to mention European manufacturer specifications) would be better served by the appropriate, certified XOM or BP product.

I wouldn't want to run Red Line in my G37 for 3750 mile warranty OCIs, particularly since SM/GF-4 or better is required. I wouldn't run it in the old F-150 where it's major overkill for a rather low performance motor. If I had a new Porsche under warranty, or something similar, it may be a good fit performance wise, but certifications are another issue.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

OK, fair enough.

Hilarious thread!

Synthetic in a high mileage? Aren't you concerned about the gaskets leaking
wink.gif

I have read a lot of stories and articles about synthetics in higher mileage engines. From my reading,if an engine has leaking gaskets ANY oil you put in said engine will leak.From my reading,if an engine is NOT leaking oil,by all means,run synthetic oil,if you choose to. I think if you did a GOOGLE search you will be surprised as to how much information there is on this subject.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1

Here is a post today saying PU causes high oil consumption.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2776570#Post2776570

Well there's something new. We should look into how many increased consumption threads there are comparing mobil to pennzoil. I would venture a guess that there would be more mobil consumption threads.
Now that may be due to mobil being used by more consumers than most other oils however it's been my experience that every engine I've ever put mobil 1 into made more noise.
My Harley sounded like a can of marbles bouncing around and drank a quart in 1000 miles. Never happened with any other oil. My mustang also made more noise and it actually consumed some,over a quart in 5000 and in my 5.3 chev noise was significantly increased,as did consumption.
I will never buy mobil again. Ever. Not when there are other choices that perform to my satisfaction.

I ran Mobil 1 5W30 and then Syntec 10W30 back to back, and I find I always burn a lot with M1 (twice as much as with Syntec). I would get clouds of smoke on startup that I don't get with Castrol products. There's no doubt in my mind however that M1 is high detergent and good at cleaning, I think it dislodged over a long highway drive some baked on crud that had been there for years. The oil was black when I returned from the trip. It also always makes my rear main leak. My best gas mileage on record was with Mobil 1 (36 mpg in a Honda 2.3 L). I believe it was because it's one of the thinner oils in its grade and it might account for 1 or 2 mpg more on the highway in the optimum driving situation. Syntec is one of the thickest in its grade

I blend 15 to 20% now with Redline every oil change and I think my gaskets like the ester that's in that oil. I may be imagining things however. Some of my oil burning has been partially from oil, dried out gaskets

Originally Posted By: dan3952
I blend 15 to 20% now with Redline every oil change and I think my gaskets like the ester that's in that oil.

That's certainly possible. In any event, Red Line is pretty tough to get here these days, now that CT got rid of it.

Originally Posted By: dan3952

I will never buy mobil again. Ever.

Amen to that.

Does that include conventional Mobil or just synthetics?

How did dan steal my quote? Huh.
Anyways I truly and honestly used to use mobil exclusively,then I noticed nmh engine was noisier after an oil change,which has never happened in my truck before. I think it was piston slap but it came on at like 100000kms. So I tried Amsoil and voila,no noise,then I discovered this site and found out pennzoil was pretty good stuff,so I kinda stuck with it for a while,the liqui-moly,then suddenly I became an oil hoarder.
I've still got a pile of mobil 1 syn's in my basement for my bikes that I'm going to try and thin out for use in my work vehicles I just won't buy any more.
That new van should guinea pig well.

Castrol edge with syntec power full synthetic 5w20 runs quitter and smoother better
gas miles. than mobil 1 5w20 in my 2007 ford focus 2.0 dohc pzev, but mobil 1
runs great in my 2003 Hyundai accent 1.6 dohc engine.

ford focus 92000 miles
Hyundai accent 152000 miles

Last edited:
DID NOT WANT SOMEONE FLIPING MY WORDS. I HAD A 1990 FORD FESTIVA THAT I GOT 300000 MILES OUT OF BEFORE I JUNKED IT OIL I USED WAS 10W40 CASTROIL GTX. ONLY MAJOR PARTS HAD TO PREPLACE WAS
WATER PUMP, BRAKES, SHOCKS.

Last edited:
For me it's Castrol Edge. I'm using it in my '09 Vue, my daughters '11 Cruze turbo and in a few years when my four free oil changes are up in my '14 GMC Terrain with D.I, I'll be using either the 0w40 or a 50% blend of 5w30/0w40 Edge. I'm currently the 50% blend in my
daughters '11 Cruze. I'm not taking any chances with 10-11000 km OCI's with the Turbo. I used to run Castrol in my old BMW. Very smooth and strong on that oil.

My guess is either M1 or CS would do a fantastic job. I've never tried Castrol's Synthetic oils, but I used to use GTX religiously many years back. Someone here posted a link to PQIA's latest tests and IIRC, Castrol Edge's numbers were really impressive.

I recently put 5W30 Mobil 1 HM in my '97 Ford F-250HD with a 460 motor. My other two vehicles call for 5W30. Right now I have Pennzoil Platinum in my 2001 Corolla, Valvoline WB in my wife's 2003 Trailblazer. My local Wally-World has had Mobil 1 on end aisle Roll Back and the 5 quart jug is less than $23. I've already pit together a nice little stash of the M1 HM 5W30, and I'm going to put together a stash of the M1 5W30 for the Corolla and the Trailblazer.

With every 6 quarts of M1 purchased I receive a Mobil 1 Baseball cap, so I can't resist switching the other 2 vehicles over to M1!
laugh.gif

BTW, my local Wally World has had Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 at the same price for quite some time, now the M1 Roll Back price is about $3.00 cheaper than usual, so IMO it's too good of a deal to pass up.

I'm new here, but I've learned name brand synthetics are all more than up to the task for everything I drive, so I buy whatever name brand is cheapest and easiest to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back