Mobil 1 Oil & Synthetic Oil Filter Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
From XOM website for vanilla Mobil1:

"The Mobil 1 limited warranty is valid for 10,000 miles or your vehicle's OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.
Additional requirements for all Mobil 1 products include:

Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and
an oil change must be completed every twelve (12) months"

So I guess you could go 10k, or more, with UOA. Most OEM filters are rated for 7.5k miles but can be easily used for 10k. I'm not familiar with the Ultra.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Yes that will depend on your make and model of vehicle. No direct injection and no 0w20, Mobil 1 oil and filter should easily go 7500-10,000 miles. I always ran conventional 5000-6000 or 6 months whichever came first.

I don't run 0W20, and I can tell you Mobil 1 5W30 will not last 10K miles in any of my vehicles, especially my work van.

Has an analysis been done to confirm this? This sounds like a opportunity to contact XOM for a field test.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Yes that will depend on your make and model of vehicle. No direct injection and no 0w20, Mobil 1 oil and filter should easily go 7500-10,000 miles. I always ran conventional 5000-6000 or 6 months whichever came first.

I don't run 0W20, and I can tell you Mobil 1 5W30 will not last 10K miles in any of my vehicles, especially my work van.

Has an analysis been done to confirm this? This sounds like a opportunity to contact XOM for a field test.

Yes I have UOA data. Under the conditions my van is driven it would be pointless to do a field test. It would take about 5 years to hit 10K miles, and the oil is spent long before that.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Those are not always 100% at all times 4wd
Compared to what? Most "intelligent" monitors should be at least somewhat able to adjust appropriately to conditions, whereas following a fixed mileage (or time) routine does not at all.

What kind of van is this? Sounds like lots of short trips not getting the oil up to operating temps.

For my cars, I figure 5 to 6,000 miles for an oil change. I use Mobil 1 in everything. I use good filters, which means no overpriced Frams. Many may say I am wasting money, but they are my vehicles and it is my money. My engines are still tight at any mileage, including my TDI with 272K miles on it. I think the most useless advice there is is "just follow the owner's manual recommendations."

For sure OLM's are not created equally.

GM 6's in particular, have been the subject of much downward revision and recalibration after timing chain issues and sludging.

First gen ecoboosts appeared to be nothing more than a mileage counter.

My Hondas OLM algorithm is based on implied heat put into the oil, and penalizes short trips, towing and high load scenarios. I'm pretty comfortable with it.

UD

What kind of van is this? Sounds like lots of short trips not getting the oil up to operating temps.

88 E-150 4.9L short trips lugging paint and equipment a few miles, occasional highway runs. Logging about 2K miles per year or less.

Yep, it's really rare for any OLM to be able to read oil condition. Most-all are based on time sitting or mileage run.

My Colorado 04' OLM is totally useless. Goes off between 10-11K for 14 years straight now. Matters-not when I last changed the oil.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Yep, it's really rare for any OLM to be able to read oil condition. Most-all are based on time sitting or mileage run.

The only one I've ever heard of that actually monitored the condition of the oil was one developed by Mercedes Benz but as you can see from this article it was 10 years ago and they didn't even mention what cars it was going into, or if it even ever went into production for that matter.

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/12/mercedes-benz-new-oil-sensor-can-keep-you-driving-safely-on-old/

I'm out of the country and can check my vehicles OLM remote - If I can - it is in the "black box" ... I follow OLM/OEM and an approved/preferred motor oil while in warranty ...

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

The only one I've ever heard of that actually monitored the condition of the oil was one developed by Mercedes Benz but as you can see from this article it was 10 years ago and they didn't even mention what cars it was going into, or if it even ever went into production for that matter.

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/12/mercedes-benz-new-oil-sensor-can-keep-you-driving-safely-on-old/

There are only a few that actually taste the oil, conductivity is one common theme in these as an oils metal content rises so does its conductivity.

Pretty much everything uses a software algorithm that works on a penalty basis.

They start with some # (honda its 10K ) on the theoretical counter then start penalizing for things like (in no particular order)

Short tripping
idle time as a % of run time
extreme low temp starts
extended load sceanrios
high RPM over time

etc...

UD

88 E-150 4.9L short trips lugging paint and equipment a few miles, occasional highway runs. Logging about 2K miles per year or less.

Oh boy, yes you're right that's a recipe to kill oil. Formula Shell from depot would be my pick.

Oh boy, yes you're right that's a recipe to kill oil. Formula Shell from depot would be my pick.

I ran a beater on that for a few years.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Boatowner
For my cars, I figure 5 to 6,000 miles for an oil change. I use Mobil 1 in everything. I use good filters, which means no overpriced Frams. Many may say I am wasting money, but they are my vehicles and it is my money. My engines are still tight at any mileage, including my TDI with 272K miles on it. I think the most useless advice there is is "just follow the owner's manual recommendations."

Thank you Boatowner, 5K for all my vehicles, Pennz Platinum and always new filters
11.gif

Originally Posted by pbm
My son-in-law starts his car every morning and drives 1.5 miles to the train station where he parks it for 9 hours until he repeats the process in the evening. I certainly wouldn't do a 10K OCI on any oil with that type of usage.

Does his car have an oil life monitor and if it does, what does it say mileage-wise for changing oil ? It knows it's only being driven 3 miles per day, at what engine RPMs, at what temperature the oil gets up to, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by pbm
OCI's are highly dependent on the type of driving one does. My son-in-law starts his car every morning and drives 1.5 miles to the train station where he parks it for 9 hours until he repeats the process in the evening.

Sounds like an ideal commute for a BEV

No more oil changes and no matter how worn the battery gets he would easily make it.

Originally Posted by cloves
Hi all,

So I am wondering what the actual change interval on Mobil 1 oil is. I run Mobil 1 high mileage on a few vehicles and normally change the oil at 5k, along with the filter. As of late I have been using Fram Synthetic filters and read that they can be used for up to 15,000 miles. So now I am thinking I am changing my oil and/or filter too often but being paranoid and all I wanted to see what the consensus was on the forums. Perhaps just changing the oil at 5k-7k and leaving the filter for 10k? Thoughts? Cars and SUVs see mixed highway and city driving. One of the cars tends to get into stop and go traffic on the highway.
For what it is worth, even my 2001 Volvo calls for a 7500 mile OCI. What vehicle is it that you would worry about a 5000 mile OCI?

For my vehicles on conventional oil per OM:

05 Ranger - 5k or 6 months
00 4Runner - 7.5k or 6 months
97 Dodge - 7.5k or 6 months (change filter every other oil change)
93 F150 - 7.5k or 6 months

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back