Mobil 1 Oil & Synthetic Oil Filter Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

So I am wondering what the actual change interval on Mobil 1 oil is. I run Mobil 1 high mileage on a few vehicles and normally change the oil at 5k, along with the filter. As of late I have been using Fram Synthetic filters and read that they can be used for up to 15,000 miles. So now I am thinking I am changing my oil and/or filter too often but being paranoid and all I wanted to see what the consensus was on the forums. Perhaps just changing the oil at 5k-7k and leaving the filter for 10k? Thoughts? Cars and SUVs see mixed highway and city driving. One of the cars tends to get into stop and go traffic on the highway.

While I am running PP in my 300, I run a Fram ultra filter that I will be changing every other oil change. I generally let the oil change indicator let me know when it's ready for one, which is about 7500 miles.

Well, I suppose that it depends on your specific year of vehicles & mileage of engines along with what grade of oil you're using. And are you in accordance with your vehicles owner's manual?
I believe that most fully synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 can go a minimum of 7500 miles and of course, maybe even longer!
And any these top line filters such as Mobil 1 should be able to go 2 OCI or around 15K miles, maybe even longer!

It's all speculation until you get a couple of UOAs to determine how long to run the oil.

My speculation is the same as everyone else's. At least 7500 and possibly much more. Member tig1 runs 10k OCIs with M1 but your driving conditions may be quite different.

Most folks work their way up to longer runs ... 7500 should be an easy next step for you and is where many of the OLM's land these days ...
I very seldom leave a filter on ... I'm there ... hands are dirty ... easier to remember just changing both ... (or if it's a $5 AC Delco) ...

I'd caution you to avoid blanket statements regarding how long certain oil and filter combos can be run. It varies with cars, climate, and driving conditions. Not to beat a dead horse but think about this. A person drives 20 miles each way in a city area and does his commute in an hour or more. Another person covers 20 miles in 20 minutes. Would you recommend both people do a 10K OCI? I'd recommend they get a UOA and decide from that how long they can run the oil and filter combo. If they don't want to get a UOA then follow the owners manual.

Those are not always 100% at all times 4wd
smile.gif

Last edited:
Don't know about yours - but mine have been just fine for many years ... always lined up with driving style changes ... But, they are normally that company this site loves to hate ...
(who happens to make lubricant standards that also work just fine) ...

My 2011 LML thinks it died and gone to heaven . On Friday afternoons, I plug in the block heater for a few hours before starting it and drive 600 kms (370 miles) to a hotel. On Wednesday , I plug it in for a few hours and drive it home.
In between days, I run around in a company truck that we leave at the hotel. From what I can tell, the OLM will reach 0% at 16,000 km (10,000 miles). Without getting into which brand of oil and filter I used, can I safely "extend" my oil drain past the olm without spending money on a UOA?

Other years I've cold started the same truck daily, 150 times over the course of the winter only using the block heater occasionally, and shorter trips. Not surprising, at 25% remaining on the olm, a uoa showed elevated everything.

When Amsoil, Mobil and others market extended oil change promises, I would read the fine print.

Last edited:
OCI's are highly dependent on the type of driving one does. My son-in-law starts his car every morning and drives 1.5 miles to the train station where he parks it for 9 hours until he repeats the process in the evening. I certainly wouldn't do a 10K OCI on any oil with that type of usage. Before I retired, I would drive approximately 65 miles each way to work....that type of driving is a fine candidate for an extended OCI.

Still... Been a number of times on here where they were off a bit as well...

Though they have gotten a fair amount better in more recent years.

Yes that will depend on your make and model of vehicle. No direct injection and no 0w20, Mobil 1 oil and filter should easily go 7500-10,000 miles. I always ran conventional 5000-6000 or 6 months whichever came first.

Yes that will depend on your make and model of vehicle. No direct injection and no 0w20, Mobil 1 oil and filter should easily go 7500-10,000 miles. I always ran conventional 5000-6000 or 6 months whichever came first.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny

I don't run 0W20, and I can tell you Mobil 1 5W30 will not last 10K miles in any of my vehicles, especially my work van.

Originally Posted by cloves
Hi all,

So I am wondering what the actual change interval on Mobil 1 oil is. I run Mobil 1 high mileage on a few vehicles and normally change the oil at 5k, along with the filter. As of late I have been using Fram Synthetic filters and read that they can be used for up to 15,000 miles. So now I am thinking I am changing my oil and/or filter too often but being paranoid and all I wanted to see what the consensus was on the forums. Perhaps just changing the oil at 5k-7k and leaving the filter for 10k? Thoughts? Cars and SUVs see mixed highway and city driving. One of the cars tends to get into stop and go traffic on the highway.

Welcome to this messageboard Cloves!
Up it to 7.5K OCIs.

It's harder to help you, not knowing if you are driving a turbo or DI (direct inject) engine. You never mentioned how old this vehicle is, let-alone the brand, model and engine size. So we need more information.

It's so easy to change a filter at oil change time that I have never left one on. For my cars, I get a lot of old (worn out & contaminated) oil out when I remove the filter. For me I want to start as fresh as possible.

Worn and contaminate Bob?..... good idea. But that's not the case with most oil changes. Most are done prematurely. That's a fact!

We also are living in an era where our earth's grounds and ocean water bottoms are being filled with garbage. Sooner or later, that needs correcting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back