Mobil 1 FS 0w40 has bmw longlife 01 again

but on the other bmw forum when someone with DI ENGINE asked you to choose between some oils and M1 0-40 was in his list you said that:
If you can source Castrol Edge 0W30 for decent price (AAP has it on sale usually) get that.
I don't think M1 0W40 is best option (or any ACEA A3 M1) for any direct injection engines due to very high SAPS.

As for BMW TPT 0W30, it is thin W30 oil designed for mpg bump. If you plant to keep car, stick with oils that have MB229.5 approval. That is gold standard.

The high SAPS GDI issue is debatable.
Very debatable, especially since a GDI engine needs an oil with a beefed up detergent package (Ca + Mg) to cope with the improperly burned fuel, combustion byproducts, and soot. I can see how these energy conserving ILSAC oils are recommended to prevent LSPI, however, the real reason why they are pushed is simply because they are cheap to produce. I'd argue that the most expensive to produce are Mobil's offerings. For example, if the detergent package is lowered, then the ZDDP/AW additives can be reduced, including Molybdenum. If GTL is used, there is no need for PPDs, or seal conditioner. ILSAC oils are all about the easiest, simplest, and least expensive way to mass produce motor oil. However, these oils aren't really appropriate for GDI and T-GDI engines.

but on the other bmw forum when someone with DI ENGINE asked you to choose between some oils and M1 0-40 was in his list you said that:
I personally would avoid M1 API SN just bcs. SA is at 1.32%. If I did not have any other option, sure I would use it.
But you do have other options. API SP will be in line with other oils, as I said, probably 1.10-1.15%.
You are overthinking this. Get something, and run with it.

edy ,M1 is not out in the market yet.so even of i want to use it ,i could not.but i hear a lot of praise here for it and that intrigues me ..i would like to try some 0x oils that the forum likes but for bmw there isn't one yet. i might do try m1 0-40 sp once as i said.but its not just me, there are friends who i might persuade them to use it, who own port injection bimmers.

i mean before ULSG , you too had other options back then between oils for vw with 1.10-15%, but you chose that with highest saps for your tinguan .
Does it make difference? I bet it does. However, question is whether is it worth it? I personally wouldn’t touch M1 0W40 FS with ten foot pole if I had N54. As soon as NA switched to ULSG, I stopped using it in Tiguan and switched to VW504.00.
i read a lot of topics here and in some of them you were wondered if the new motul 5-40's gen 2 was good, if the XX oil will have a good HTHS and so on. i am not doing something different.

as for me i run European oils so far and i am ok, with it. its easy for me to run a 5-30 ,there are plenty of them.

it's not for just choosing an oil for me, it's for the knowledge of it. .things that are discussed here are transferred to other forums and mens gatherings talking cars , oils, tyres and so on. now none of them that i spoke off knows about the clearing and protective properties that is oil offers ,not even petrolheads i know, don't. most of them don't know bitog. and many of them are mobil 1 fans.

Personally i like learning . bitog is a rabbit-hole for me , i found interesting subjects. i like learning more. and if i am not satisfied with an answer for something that i am searching , then i will keep on, but just for the knowledge.
as you said european enthusiasts knew about 0-30 castrol and how good it is. but enthusiasts are a minority.you see that in other car forums ,like the one i copied some of your posts. users there knew all things about oils ,in the wrong way.and you were very happy to help them. now if and when it happens to say my opinion about oils to other people , i don't want to say the wrong things , i want to help people with my knowledge, just like you all do in this forum.isn't it the real purpose of this forum?

now i was going to the shop that i buy my oils and do the OCI there and i was asking which oil to use and why. but when i went last time and we start an oil conversation , and we talk, he ended up he knew wrong.for example, when i told him that i would put a 0-30 castrol ,he said: why? its not that cold here! :ROFLMAO: so i explained it to him and then he understood why.;) just like he understood about what HTHS is and that its all that it matters.
so each time i insist on something ,think of it as a spreading full knowledge around the world!

Last edited:
The high SAPS GDI issue is debatable.
why shoud it be? as someone might ask. DI engine system was common in cars since 2002.since then many owners of cars with DI engines still use LL01 oils. why isn't there a source to tell us if there are problems with it? isn't here such owners to tell us their experience so far? could't there be a known problem, proven caused by using LL01 oils in DI engine?

why shoud it be? as someone might ask. DI engine system was common in cars since 2002.since then many owners of cars with DI engines still use LL01 oils. why isn't there a source to tell us if there are problems with it? isn't here such owners to tell us their experience so far? could't there be a known problem, proven caused by using LL01 oils in DI engine?
The issue that edy is referring to is carbon buildup on intake valves. It's not that high SAPS will damage a GDI engine without GPF/OPF. It will be fine for the engine. Porsche and BMW sold many GDI engines filled with A40 and LL01 full SAPS oils. The only concern is that engines prone to intake valve deposits could have worse deposits from the higher SAPS additive package. It's still not proven IMO that this matters more than the engine and PCV design itself. For example, BMW N54 engine has terrible IVD, but N55 is much better and they both ran full SAPS in the US.

edy ,M1 is not out in the market yet.so even of i want to use it ,i could not.but i hear a lot of praise here for it and that intrigues me ..i would like to try some 0x oils that the forum likes but for bmw there isn't one yet. i might do try m1 0-40 sp once as i said.but its not just me, there are friends who i might persuade them to use it, who own port injection bimmers.

i mean before ULSG , you too had other options back then between oils for vw with 1.10-15%, but you chose that with highest saps for your tinguan .

i read a lot of topics here and in some of them you were wondered if the new motul 5-40's gen 2 was good, if the XX oil will have a good HTHS and so on. i am not doing something different.

as for me i run European oils so far and i am ok, with it. its easy for me to run a 5-30 ,there are plenty of them.

it's not for just choosing an oil for me, it's for the knowledge of it. .things that are discussed here are transferred to other forums and mens gatherings talking cars , oils, tyres and so on. now none of them that i spoke off knows about the clearing and protective properties that is oil offers ,not even petrolheads i know, don't. most of them don't know bitog. and many of them are mobil 1 fans.

Personally i like learning . bitog is a rabbit-hole for me , i found interesting subjects. i like learning more. and if i am not satisfied with an answer for something that i am searching , then i will keep on, but just for the knowledge.
as you said european enthusiasts knew about 0-30 castrol and how good it is. but enthusiasts are a minority.you see that in other car forums ,like the one i copied some of your posts. users there knew all things about oils ,in the wrong way.and you were very happy to help them. now if and when it happens to say my opinion about oils to other people , i don't want to say the wrong things , i want to help people with my knowledge, just like you all do in this forum.isn't it the real purpose of this forum?

now i was going to the shop that i buy my oils and do the OCI there and i was asking which oil to use and why. but when i went last time and we start an oil conversation , and we talk, he ended up he knew wrong.for example, when i told him that i would put a 0-30 castrol ,he said: why? its not that cold here! :ROFLMAO: so i explained it to him and then he understood why.;) just like he understood about what HTHS is and that its all that it matters.
so each time i insist on something ,think of it as a spreading full knowledge around the world!
Yes, I used M1 on severe occasions in Tiguan and CC. Mostly, 9 out of 10 oci I sticked to Castrol 0W30/40.
Does Europe still have BMW TPT M Power 0W40? That was excellent oil.

The issue that edy is referring to is carbon buildup on intake valves. It's not that high SAPS will damage a GDI engine without GPF/OPF. It will be fine for the engine. Porsche and BMW sold many GDI engines filled with A40 and LL01 full SAPS oils. The only concern is that engines prone to intake valve deposits could have worse deposits from the higher SAPS additive package. It's still not proven IMO that this matters more than the engine and PCV design itself. For example, BMW N54 engine has terrible IVD, but N55 is much better and they both ran full SAPS in the US.
PCV design is more relevant.

Yes, I used M1 on severe occasions in Tiguan and CC. Mostly, 9 out of 10 oci I sticked to Castrol 0W30/40.
Does Europe still have BMW TPT M Power 0W40? That was excellent oil.
all LL01 bmw TPT are long gone from Europe, in fact is vey difficult to find a LL01 oil bmw from other brands as well.1or 2 5-30 LL01 but most of them are 5-40 LL01, most sales are LM ,shell and the famous motul x-cess.

LL04 is the new king here. in an online shop you might find 10 cans of LL01 oils and 25 cans of LL04 oils.
bmw enthusiasts ,in europe forums still prefer LL01 oils both 0-40 and 5-40 if there is some on the market with bmw approval.
They know!

all LL01 bmw TPT are long gone from Europe, in fact is vey difficult to find a LL01 oil bmw from other brands as well.1or 2 5-30 LL01 but most of them are 5-40 LL01, most sales are LM ,shell and the famous motul x-cess.

LL04 is the new king here. in an online shop you might find 10 cans of LL01 oils and 25 cans of LL04 oils.
bmw enthusiasts ,in europe forums still prefer LL01 oils both 0-40 and 5-40 if there is some on the market with bmw approval.
They know!
I would go LL04.
You can try to get Ravenol. They should have LL01, and are PAO based.

Context is important. BMW specifically had a lot of issues with carbon build up on their first generation petrol TGDI N54 (circa 2006). The recommended cleaning interval was 45k miles. BMW managed to address it with an improved PCV design on the N55 (circa 2009) combined with the introduction of Mid-SAPS (ACEA C3, LL04) oils. ACEA C3 oils, per Lubrizol, exhibited a reduction in the rate of deposit build up. It still occurs but it's less when compared to LL01

BMW had to continue to recommend LL01 oils for rest of the world because of comparatively higher sulphur levels outside of western Europe. For example the US transitioned to ULSG in 2020. Almost 15 yrs after western Europe.

VW (Audi) has always seemed to be a mess with regards to IVD (Intake Valve Deposits) and it took them years to fix it if they have at all.

Context is important. BMW specifically had a lot of issues with carbon build up on their first generation petrol TGDI N54 (circa 2006). The recommended cleaning interval was 45k miles. BMW managed to address it with an improved PCV design on the N55 (circa 2009) combined with the introduction of Mid-SAPS (ACEA C3, LL04) oils. ACEA C3 oils, per Lubrizol, exhibited a reduction in the rate of deposit build up. It still occurs but it's less when compared to LL01

BMW had to continue to recommend LL01 oils for rest of the world because of comparatively higher sulphur levels outside of western Europe. For example the US transitioned to ULSG in 2020. Almost 15 yrs after western Europe.

VW (Audi) has always seemed to be a mess with regards to IVD (Intake Valve Deposits) and it took them years to fix it if they have at all.
i guess you guys in US are to the exactly same point of thinking we were in Europe 14 years ago when these LL04 oils were introduced here along with LL01. to tell you the truth in all bmwforums there were still back then at 2012 owners that were hesitated to use LL04 oils.now there are only few that still use LL01 oils and especially bmw owners who prefer 5-40 for some reason.
the difference is that these very experienced bmw owners don't have your knowledge.
because of this knowledge who knows with new transition to ULSG you will change your opinion for ll04 oils faster than we did back then in Europe. or the market will , LL01 oils will be reduced as they did in Europe. and LL04 oils are better than were back then. oil industry has make huge progress through these 14 years.

New ESP has LL04.
Castrol Edge 0W40 C3 should also have LL04. At least Castrol lists it here.
as i already said they will be my 2 choices as soon as they are out in the market. but they are probably out in a couple of months and i cant't wait,since my OCI is this month.for now i will run with a 5-30 probably motul x-clean+, again. thanks for the help

i guess you guys in US are to the exactly same point of thinking we were in Europe 14 years ago when these LL04 oils were introduced here along with LL01. to tell you the truth in all bmwforums there were still back then at 2012 owners that were hesitated to use LL04 oils.now there are only few that still use LL01 oils and especially bmw owners who prefer 5-40 for some reason.
the difference is that these very experienced bmw owners don't have your knowledge.
because of this knowledge who knows with new transition to ULSG you will change your opinion for ll04 oils faster than we did back then in Europe. or the market will , LL01 oils will be reduced as they did in Europe. and LL04 oils are better than were back then. oil industry has make huge progress through these 14 years.
For the US market BMW has been using a 20w (LL17Fe) ACEA C5 with the B58/B48 for a couple of years. Officially LL04 was only allowed for certain diesels. I have a LL04 in my N55 at the moment.

Back