Mobil 1 ESP: Good for extended drain intervals?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I seem to recall someone saying the M1 ESP oils were good for extended drain intervals. Is that the case? Are the various "flavors" good for 10K miles / 1 year intervals, especially in a 2011 Camry 4-cylinder engine?

Does anyone have any TBN or Noack numbers on these oils? I've been able to find some TBNs but no Noacks.

Thanks!

Just being a non-ILSAC with approvals like VW 504/507/508/509 and MB229.xx pretty much assures they are pretty stout. VW calls for 10k mile OCI's in the US market, even much more in the Euro market. So you could draw the conclusion they are good oils.

But Mobil will always say follow your vehicle requirements. For example, this is the verbiage from the Mobil1 Annual Protection Limited Warranty that touts a 20k mile/annual OCI.

Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty.

Diesels, I can see. Gas engines OK with these certs?
M1ESP.jpg

SN yes, AECA C2, C3. No A#.

For gas turbo GDI. Usually SN+/SP is used instead of SN.
Again, VW504.00 is gas approval.
BMW LL04 is used in BMW gas engines (all of them) in EU since 2009.
MB229.51 is used in EU also since 2009 in MB gas engines (and US in last two years).
In turbo engine with direct injection you WANT as least as possible sulfated ash and phosphorous.
API, is absolutely irrelevant when you have approvals like this.

I run ESP 0w20 in my 2006 Ford Focus for 10k without a problem. I use it for commuting to work about 100 mile round trip before COVID. I'm not sure I would go 10K if it is all short trips though. I verified everything with an oil analysis too.

I thought I read in a recent post that you change your oil at 5k regardless of oil Shel_B.

Are you not currently using M1 EP?

I thought I read in a recent post that you change your oil at 5k regardless of oil Shel_B.

Are you not currently using M1 EP?
Well, about once per year, which is around 5-6K miles

Yes, EP ... but I wonder about alternatives ... I'm sure the ol' Camry would be happy to live out its life with either from what I've gleaned here today. Might be happy with SuperTech or Kirkland, too, but I think at heart I'm a Mobil 1 guy.

FWIW, ESP is a stout oil with some tough approvals to meet, far more stringent than EP's. Most gas sold in the US now is ultra-low sulfur, so you should be good using a low SAPS oil (ESP) on a long drain. NAPA has it on sale once in a while, the last one I saw was $5.49/qt, which is a steal for that oil.

FWIW, ESP is a stout oil with some tough approvals to meet, far more stringent than EP's. Most gas sold in the US now is ultra-low sulfur, so you should be good using a low SAPS oil (ESP) on a long drain. NAPA has it on sale once in a while, the last one I saw was $5.49/qt, which is a steal for that oil.
I was concerned about how well it would work with the fuel here, but it seems like that's not a problem. I'll keep an eye out for a sale and grab enough for a change, which I'll do when the EP is gone. Tks!

I was concerned about how well it would work with the fuel here, but it seems like that's not a problem. I'll keep an eye out for a sale and grab enough for a change, which I'll do when the EP is gone. Tks!
UOA would be helpful to determine TBN.

Back