Mobil 1 blending question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my car (in sig) was originally spec'd for 5w30, but has been backspec'd to 5w20. Figuring this was okay, I bought some PP 5w20, and it ran great. Since the 5qt jugs are much cheaper and my car takes 4 qts of oil, I ended up mixing 1 qt PP 5w20 with 3qts of M1 AFE 0w20. Well, my engine has been noticeably louder this interval (especially at highway speeds with 3k rpm), and it has only been slightly over 3k miles. I would like to change it this winter, and would like to thicken this oil back to what the car has seen its entire life. Would it be okay to mix the M1 0w40 with the 0w20? I have 2 quarts left of the 0w20, so a 2-2 mixture would leave me somewhere in the 0w30 range, correct? Would this blend still be fine for the winter? I typically don't do many short trips anymore, and most of my drives are over 20 miles, so operating temp is usually reached.

Yes, this blend would be good. Kinda sounds like the CATERHAM blend, only difference is that in that specific blend, it is M1 0W-40 and TGMO 0W-20.

I mixed M1 0W40 and 0W20 at the ratio 40% 0W40 and 60% 0W20 to use in my S2000. The HTHS of the mixed is 3.1, slightly thicker than M1 0W30, 5W30 and 10W30 at 3.0.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Why not go back to the PP 5w20?

Why not answer his question.
OP. You can mix oils no problem however when mixing different brands you've gotta adjust the oil change interval because the different additive packages may not compliment each other.
Mixing between the same brand is absolutely fine. Many guys here do it and personally I like the idea of being able to custom blend an oil that once finished has better attributes than an ots oil in the required grade.
And just to add I know that the engines extra acoustics may bother you because before this product it wasn't noisy but I suggest running the interval out to whatever you feel comfortable with but don't waste it just because its louder. More noise doesn't always equate to less wear however less noise 99.99% of the time will equate to less wear.
If I can make a suggestion. Go to napa. Buy a can of liqui-moly/lubro-moly motor oil saver. It will stop the noise unless your dipstick is saying your oils low, then just add some 0w-40.
If you liked pp why did you switch. Unless of course you got it on sale then of course I completely understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back